PDA

View Full Version : Another AROD tagging issue

GrndSlm
09-06-2006, 10:20 PM
I was offered today a game used ARod jersey. This jersey was clearly autographed by ARod and had a size 48 tagging (wrong size) and a set 2006 tagging. It was a home pinstripe Yankee piece with an 0062 inside wash tag. But, it had the Majestic logo embroidered on the sleeve. This is an obvious NO NO. Please keep your eyes open because Majestic is getting really creative.

I will post pictures as soon as I figure out this camara phone.

Juan Iglesias
GrndSlm@aol.com

calsportrf
09-07-2006, 12:06 AM
This year (2006) Alex is wearing a size 48 jersey. I have confirmation from clubhouse people of this fact. In 2005 he was a 50. Now the Majestic insignia on the sleeve is wrong, but 48 should not be a red flag.

suave1477
09-07-2006, 08:28 AM
I will check but I also have a jersey of his and I beleive its a size 48, so I agree the size shouldnt be a red flag.

Now you mentioned also Majestic is getting creative in what way is that?

GrndSlm
09-07-2006, 11:28 PM
I appreciate the information on AROD's size. I was refering to the majestic logo on the sleeve with a set/year tag on the front tail....

Juan Iglesias
GrndSlm@aol.com

kingjammy24
09-08-2006, 12:08 AM
"Now you mentioned also Majestic is getting creative in what way is that?"

juan says he came across a yankees jersey with an 0062 code AND a majestic logo on the sleeve. technically these 2 shouldn't be able to be found on the same jersey. 0062 is pro only, yet the majestic logo on the sleeve is retail only (for the yankees). a yankees jersey with a sleeve logo should only be coded 6200.

juan, allow me to suggest that it may not be majestic getting creative but rather someone sewing in a "0062" wash tag knowing that many collectors look for the 0062 code on game worn jerseys. they unwittingly took a retail yankees jersey (hence the sleeve logo), sewed on the set tagging and sewed in a wash tag with the 0062 code. i'm going to wager the jersey wasn't offered via steiner?

rudy.

allstarsplus
09-08-2006, 09:03 AM
juan, allow me to suggest that it may not be majestic getting creative but rather someone sewing in a "0062" wash tag knowing that many collectors look for the 0062 code on game worn jerseys. they unwittingly took a retail yankees jersey (hence the sleeve logo), sewed on the set tagging and sewed in a wash tag with the 0062 code. i'm going to wager the jersey wasn't offered via steiner?

rudy.I don't know the reason for this, but Majestic isn't currently selling a blank size 50 Yankees authentic. You can get a size 48 and 52 and the other sizes that will come with the 6200 wash tag.

GrndSlm
09-08-2006, 05:09 PM
The problem is that this jersey was offered to me by an associate of ARods! This is going back to the players trading jerseys thread and the problems that can occur because of it. This Yankee piece is autographed on the back number by AROD and has the set-year tags on the front...Now the set year tags and the 0062 is perfect but when you throw in the Majestic logo on the sleeve ?!?!?!

I just dont know......

I also got a nicely used Albert Pujols 2006 jersey from a player recently. The piece had all the tagging including the set year on the front with a size 50 and the inside had the 6200 wash tag. This jersey was shown to BirdBats for his opinion. We concluded that you can never be 100% sure that Albert didnt use the jersey but it definately is not consistant with known gamers.....

Thanks,
Juan Iglesias
GrndSlm@aol.com

kingjammy24
09-08-2006, 05:39 PM
juan,

sounds crazy. who knows what to make of it. i've encountered less than a handful of jerseys that i simply couldn't figure out. i guess all you can do in such a situation is walk away and let someone else deal with the mess.

i'll make a general comment though without any sort of inference to arod or any specific person. part of me can well imagine the sorts of "associates" that someone making 25 million a year will attract. some ballplayers who strike it rich have come from meager backgrounds, especially those from some of the island nations. everyone remembers pedro talking about how "15 years ago, [he] was sitting under a mango tree without 50 cents to pay for a bus". all of a sudden some of these guys are sitting on 20 or 25 million and they're still surrounded by the same friends they had as youths. it's gotta be a little difficult in some situations to watch your acquaintance make that sort of money while you're wondering how to pay the electric bill. money does funny things to some people. all of a sudden some of these guys are seeing that people will pay thousands in cash for jerseys and there's an endless supply of product. all you've got to do is call up majestic, place an order, and watch 3 boxes of jerseys show up in a couple of days. is it hard to imagine some of them are cutting corners? maybe some of them have been cut loose from the entourage and are taking matters into their own hands? it's not like they know anything about game-issued vs game used.

as we speak, asi has an ortiz jersey on ebay that they say was "sourced from one of ortiz's friends". that's some business those guys have.

rudy.

kingjammy24
09-09-2006, 09:00 PM
juan,

i was perusing rob steinmetz's watercooler section today and stumbled across this in one of his posts:

"I recently spotted an interesting Yankees jersey that collectors should be aware of. This particular jersey, a 2005 home Sheffield, was tagged on the tail with a size and year flag tag and on the inside with a "0062" pro-coded wash tag. Totally correct for a gamer, right? Wrong. This jersey, signed and authenticated with Sheff's hologram, had a Majestic logo stitched on the sleeve - an obvious "no-no" for a true Yankees gamer. The moral? Year tagging and pro-coded wash tags are important, but not the "be all/end all". Do your homework and watch for doctored sleeves on 2005 Yankees jerseys that don't come from Steiner!"

just like your Arod.

rudy.

GrndSlm
09-10-2006, 01:22 AM
Nice research Rudy......I appreciate the information because that does show that these problems occur. But regardless no Yankee field jersey has a logo on the sleeve as we already know.

Juan Iglesias