PDA

View Full Version : Autographed game-used equipment

slats7
07-05-2011, 12:42 PM
This might be a minority opinion, but I lose all interest in a game-used item the second I notice it's been autographed. I want to own something the way you wore it, and most athletes don't take the field with autographed helmets or jerseys. To me, signing a jersey is like painting a mustache on the Mona Lisa. In other words, vandalism. You wanna sign a photo? Fine. But jerseys and markers don't mix.

frikativ54
07-05-2011, 12:45 PM
This might be a minority opinion, but I lose all interest in a game-used item the second I notice it's been autographed. I want to own something the way you wore it, and most athletes don't take the field with autographed helmets or jerseys. To me, signing a jersey is like painting a mustache on the Mona Lisa. In other words, vandalism. You wanna sign a photo? Fine. But jerseys and markers don't mix.

I totally agree. I cannot stand autographs on my game used items; hats in particular drive me crazy. However, signatures can be tastefully done. I have a pair of Bagwell cleats that are signed, but since the autograph is on the toe and is relatively small, it doesn't bother me in the least. Tasteful signatures notwithstanding, I can't stand autographs on my game-used equipment. Except they don't bother me on bats.

gaytorhater703
07-05-2011, 01:03 PM
there was a good thread on this recently, most would agree with you from the responses in the thread......for me i hate autos on jerseys....but im impartial to signatures on helmets, bats or shoes since they dont immediately draw the connection to the player as a name on the back of the jersey:D

Also this might be kinda hard to explain but when i see a gamer and it has been bought second hand....if it doesnt have any sigs it still feels like your the first owner in a way.....if someone has had it signed its like sloppy seconds on prom.....someone has had their moment with your item....make any sense to anyone?...might just be me

frikativ54
07-05-2011, 01:12 PM
Also this might be kinda hard to explain but when i see a gamer and it has been bought second hand....if it doesnt have any sigs it still feels like your the first owner in a way.....if someone has had it signed its like sloppy seconds on prom.....someone has had their moment with your item....make any sense to anyone?...might just be me

LOL! :p :D :eek:

camarokids
07-05-2011, 01:26 PM
I don't mind a autograph on a bat. A lot of times a player will give someone a bat and then sign it for that person. So I think it is cool. Almost like you were the one who got it.

I don't mind sloppy seconds, it all washes off :D....

But jerseys I think should not be signed.

Shipp_96
07-05-2011, 01:36 PM
Game worn jerseys, no autos! I like them signed in person only when un-used or retail. Same goes for helmets, I like them game worn and unsigned. Or again, retail then signed in person.

Game worn cleats, however, which are my favorite item to collect and by far make up the majority of my collection, I feel look naked unsigned! I have all but one pair of game worn cleats I own signed, and the pair I do not have signed look incomplete to me, especially in comparison to the rest of my collection. Maybe because a jersey or helmet have identifiers that a certain player wore them, where with cleats, it can be a crap shoot. So I always like the signature on them, and feel they are one item where the auto pops on.

MLB~NUT
07-05-2011, 04:39 PM
Complete opposite for me, I feel its useless without the players John Hancock on it....

mlupo
07-06-2011, 12:56 AM
To me, signing a jersey is like painting a mustache on the Mona Lisa.

It may not be a mustache, but don't artists sign their name at the bottom of a painting/masterpiece??? :)

slats7
07-06-2011, 10:07 AM
It may not be a mustache, but don't artists sign their name at the bottom of a painting/masterpiece??? :)

That's routine, and it doesn't mar the final product.

CampWest
07-06-2011, 12:20 PM
Do you automatically lose interest in an item if an MLB/Steiner/Player authentication hologram has been placed on the item?

I lose all interest in a game-used item the second I notice it's been autographed. I want to own something the way you wore it, and most athletes don't take the field with autographed helmets or jerseys.

frikativ54
07-06-2011, 12:54 PM
Do you automatically lose interest in an item if an MLB/Steiner/Player authentication hologram has been placed on the item?

Not I. The holograms are usually tastefully placed, like on the tail of a jersey or underside of a cap. If they were in a prominent place, that might bother me. But I rest easier at night knowing that a reputable company will stand behind my item.

-Frik

slats7
07-06-2011, 02:10 PM

No, assuming you can remove them without damaging the collectible. Certificates of authenticity needn't be attached to the items they're authenticating.