PDA

View Full Version : RIP: Wes Covington

sox83cubs84
07-07-2011, 10:44 PM
Covington died July 4th at age 79.

He spent 11 years in the Show, beginning in 1956 with the Milwaukee Braves. He stayed with the Braves until early 1961, a season which found him in the uniform of four different teams. After his time in Milwaukee, he spent short stints with the White Sox and Kansas City A's before finishing the '61 season with the Phillies. He stayed in Philly through 1965, with his final season split between the Cubs and Dodgers.

Covington was a Sporting News All-Star selection for the NL in 1958. he appeared in three World Series, the Braves, as a regular in 1957-58, and a single pinch-hit appearance (strikeout) for the Dodgers in '66.

Covington was also a highly in-demand autograph during his post-career days.

Dave Miedema

SkubeBats
07-07-2011, 11:58 PM
Sad to hear about the loss of Wes. He was a fan favorite here in Wisconsin. I always wanted to add one of his game used bats to my Braves bat collection.

trsent
07-08-2011, 07:26 AM
Wes did very few trade shows over the years as his autograph always carried a nice premium. I wondered why I sold two 8x10s on eBay today as he had not been selling well for a while. Now I know why.

Danny899
07-13-2011, 12:06 AM
Covington died July 4th at age 79.

He spent 11 years in the Show, beginning in 1956 with the Milwaukee Braves. He stayed with the Braves until early 1961, a season which found him in the uniform of four different teams. After his time in Milwaukee, he spent short stints with the White Sox and Kansas City A's before finishing the '61 season with the Phillies. He stayed in Philly through 1965, with his final season split between the Cubs and Dodgers.

Covington was a Sporting News All-Star selection for the NL in 1958. he appeared in three World Series, the Braves, as a regular in 1957-58, and a single pinch-hit appearance (strikeout) for the Dodgers in '66.

Covington was also a highly in-demand autograph during his post-career days.

Dave Miedema RIP, Thanks Dave