PDA

View Full Version : Why did you pick your forum name?

commando
07-08-2011, 07:11 PM
Here's an interesting topic... I'd like to know why you chose the nickname you chose for the forum. I'll start:

I chose "commando" because while stationed in Berlin (Army), I had the chance to attend and graduate French Commando School. Not very sportsy, I'll admit.

frikativ54
07-08-2011, 07:34 PM
Here's an interesting topic... I'd like to know why you chose the nickname you chose for the forum. I'll start:

I chose "commando" because while stationed in Berlin (Army), I had the chance to attend and graduate French Commando School. Not very sportsy, I'll admit.

Oh, that's a little more innocent an explanation than I expected. :p

I used frikativ54 because it was a userid I had for other forums. I kind of regret not doing bagwellgameused or simply lazukor, my name.

HawaiiSportsNut
07-08-2011, 07:40 PM
Mine's is quite simple, I am from Hawaii & I am a sports nut.

d2ray13
07-08-2011, 08:15 PM
The initials of my name, (Damon Ray) and the numbers of my two favorite players, Derek and Alex.

sox83cubs84
07-09-2011, 12:25 AM
Mine is the team name and the last 2 digits of the year of the initial first place teams that I remember from both sides of Chicago (1983 AL West Champion White Sox and 1984 NL East Champion Cubs). I was alive for the 1959 AL pennant winning White Sox, but I was one year old at the time...who remembers anything when they're THAT young?:rolleyes:

Dave Miedema

70to66
07-09-2011, 10:17 AM
Mine is the home run totals from Mark McGwire and Sammy Sosa from 1998.

gingi79
07-09-2011, 05:22 PM
GinGi is the hebrew word for redhead. 79 was the year I was born and the number I wear in beer leagues and video games.

After hating my hair for the majority of youth, it became a very enjoyable part of my personality in my late teens. It really sucked that women who were 50 and older loved touching and caressing my hair but the younger lovely ladies seemed not to like it. I always figured I'd one day be the sexy ladykiller in a retirement home which makes it easy to look forward to old age :D

Those of you with kids or have seen Shrek may wonder why I chose a talking cookie for a name.... alas it is simply a disappointing coincidence. :p

On an unrelated note, I am growing it long now with aspirations of one day cutting it and donating it to Locks of Love. They will make it into a wig for an anonymous patient who has lost their hair to cancer. That terrible disease claimed my father's life and I'd like to think I can do his memory proud by doing this. Many of my female friends and family tell me losing their hair would affect how they saw themselves as a woman. I encourage all of you who can do something like this, to do it. I think of my dad every time I look in the mirror and the thought of helping a cancer warrior feel like a normal woman again is so rewarding.

ferro39
07-09-2011, 05:49 PM
awesome cause.

i was giving it the old college try earlier in the year until i found out that they need some insane amount like 10'' minimum. i have really, really thick hair, so while i was only about 1/2 way there, i was already starting to look like oscar gamble.

as for me? last name followed by my old hockey #

RaiderNationPDX
07-09-2011, 07:22 PM
I've been a devout Oakland/Los Angeles Raiders fan since childhood, and PDX is the airport code for Portland, Oregon, the sadly sports-agnostic city I live in.

That was probably way more of an explanation than was needed; it's very self-explanatory.

godwulf
07-09-2011, 11:21 PM
Not sure exactly how it happened or why, but my older sister and I, probably about the time we were in high school, developed these odd nicknames for one another. She was - and still is, I guess - Sylvia, Queen of the Gypsies, and I remain - at least to her - Baron Godwulf von Bronk.

coxfan
07-10-2011, 09:09 AM
My name's a pun on "Cox" and Cocks". I'm a native Georgian who's old enough to remember all of the Braves' "BC" era (before Cox), when the Braves made the playoffs only twice from 1966-1990 ( a quarter-century.) Thus, I appreciate the enormous difference between that and the Cox era.

And I live within walking distance of the stadiums ( both old and new) of the South Carolina Gamecocks. They're now two-time national champs (2010 and 2011). Since I've never lived in a major-league city, the Gamecocks are the most exciting team I've been personally able to participate with by going to games regularly. And with attendance averaging over 7,000 per game, they're in a small class of colleges where baseball is big. (Going back to Bobby Richardson of the Yankees, who as Gamecock head coach in the 70's built the program to national prominence.)

brewcrew
07-10-2011, 12:34 PM
I'll be honest...when you said "Cocks" I thought you were going in a different direction. :p I've been to Columbia twice for work-related trainings. The "real" USC has a gorgeous campus.

My forum name is probably obvious. Love my Brew Crew, hence the handle.

bigklu18
07-11-2011, 11:48 AM
Ted kluszewski - nicknamed Big Klu and wore number 18

Shipp_96
07-13-2011, 09:17 PM
Not sure exactly how it happened or why, but my older sister and I, probably about the time we were in high school, developed these odd nicknames for one another. She was - and still is, I guess - Sylvia, Queen of the Gypsies, and I remain - at least to her - Baron Godwulf von Bronk.

My wife and I laughed at this all night, because we are always making up crazy names for our dog, similar to what you and your sister did.

Just thought I would share :D.

Shipp_96
07-13-2011, 09:22 PM
As for my forum name, it was not very original. On other forums I go by PSU_93 for my degree from Penn State, and so on here I decided to be different and represent my other Alma mater, so I went with Shipp_96.

But, I also knew it would not be taken :) !

Canseco44
07-13-2011, 10:29 PM
Mine is pretty boring also. Obviously a Canseco fan, and then 44, my jersey number since childhood. Recently was able to acquire my high school football and basket ball jerseys and photomatched them! I will post pics later.

Todd

tom1315
07-14-2011, 08:51 PM
Tom1315 - probably the most dull name selection. Tom is 1st name and 13 15 are two of my four children's birthdays. Probably should have been "Tom13152231" to not hurt feelings!

Tom

Go Pack! NC State 1981 grad

BarryMeisel
07-15-2011, 01:14 PM
My parents selected my Forum name

What I can't figure out is, how did they know about Game Used Universe back in 1958?

TNTtoys
07-17-2011, 10:16 PM
I'll jump in... this one's a long story...

Back in high school (mid 80s), I worked part-time / after school, for a small toy company (now defunct) called Toys and Things. We tended to nickname the place "TNT" while we were there.

Not even 1 year later, I found myself on a softball team which was called "Ten and Twenty" (don't ask) -- a team that was also better known as "TNT" -- in fact, we shortened the team name to "TNT" years later.

By the late 80s, I was running a mobile disk jockey business that needed a name change. I had two helpers that accompanied me to gigs; both of their names were Tommy. My name is Nick... hence, once again, in putting all of our initials together, we were "TNT" -- and the business was renamed to "TNT Productions" -- this remained as its name for the next 5-10 years.

And, this brings me to the late 90s... I am getting into the whole ebay thing in it's infancy, and began selling collectible toys; mainly Star Wars and Starting Lineup figures. I called the ebay name (fittingly) TNT Toys along with a yahoo email name to match it. This toy craze was short lived, and I never really made any money doing it... so it became a hobby and a name I stuck with for years. I kept the TNT name on ebay & yahoo and later added GUU and Jersey Central accounts by the same name.

Preston
07-18-2011, 12:28 AM
I got creative and used my first name :)

Pinstripes
07-19-2011, 12:20 PM
Having been born in New Jersey and spending sometime on the east coast and having a dad who is fanatical Yankees fan i got Pinstripes. I'm actually a huge Cardinals fan though :)

NEFAN
07-20-2011, 10:51 AM
Too obvious to state.

tbone90
07-20-2011, 12:10 PM
I've been building and driving demolition derby cars for over 20 years. I was given the nickname T-Bone very early in my "derby career". The number 90 has alwasy been my car number as well as my high school football jersey number and beer league softball.

spartanservitto
07-20-2011, 12:11 PM
SPARTAN = the greatest mascot, my university, and the best basketball team in the country ;) Michigan State University. Servitto for my last name. Quite simple.

-Tony

freddiefreeman5
07-20-2011, 11:57 PM
The Braves are a young team that is rebuiding with young talent from their farm system.
Freddie Freeman, I believe, will be the face of the new Braves for years to come.
Taking nothing away from the best catcher in the game Brain McCann, I believe Freeman will be one of the best players in baseball within the next couple of years. Even better than McCann.
Heyward got all the hype but I saw a special player in Freeman that I believe many missed.

freddiefreeman5
07-21-2011, 12:33 AM
I should also mention that I like the way Freedie carries himself as a person as well as a player.

Number13
07-24-2011, 04:31 AM
Hopefully it's a little obvious!! LOL:D

But, actually it started because the house I grew up in was 13. And when I played soccer as a kid I tried to get 13 as much as possible.