Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • commando
    • Nov 2007

Why did you pick your forum name?

Here's an interesting topic... I'd like to know why you chose the nickname you chose for the forum. I'll start:

I chose "commando" because while stationed in Berlin (Army), I had the chance to attend and graduate French Commando School. Not very sportsy, I'll admit.
    sigpic
    Anthony Nunez
    Historian, USFL Houston Gamblers
    www.Houston-Gamblers.com
  • frikativ54
    • Dec 2007

Re: Why did you pick your forum name?

Originally posted by commando
    Here's an interesting topic... I'd like to know why you chose the nickname you chose for the forum. I'll start:

I chose "commando" because while stationed in Berlin (Army), I had the chance to attend and graduate French Commando School. Not very sportsy, I'll admit.
    Oh, that's a little more innocent an explanation than I expected.

I used frikativ54 because it was a userid I had for other forums. I kind of regret not doing bagwellgameused or simply lazukor, my name.
    Les Zukor
    bagwellgameused@gmail.com
    Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
    (617) 682-0408

Comment

• HawaiiSportsNut
      • Dec 2009

Mine's is quite simple, I am from Hawaii & I am a sports nut.
      sigpic

Comment

• d2ray13
        • Feb 2006

The initials of my name, (Damon Ray) and the numbers of my two favorite players, Derek and Alex.

Comment

• sox83cubs84
          Banned
          • Apr 2009

Mine is the team name and the last 2 digits of the year of the initial first place teams that I remember from both sides of Chicago (1983 AL West Champion White Sox and 1984 NL East Champion Cubs). I was alive for the 1959 AL pennant winning White Sox, but I was one year old at the time...who remembers anything when they're THAT young?

Dave Miedema

Comment

• 70to66
            • Sep 2007

Mine is the home run totals from Mark McGwire and Sammy Sosa from 1998.

Comment

• gingi79
              • Aug 2007

GinGi is the hebrew word for redhead. 79 was the year I was born and the number I wear in beer leagues and video games.

After hating my hair for the majority of youth, it became a very enjoyable part of my personality in my late teens. It really sucked that women who were 50 and older loved touching and caressing my hair but the younger lovely ladies seemed not to like it. I always figured I'd one day be the sexy ladykiller in a retirement home which makes it easy to look forward to old age

Those of you with kids or have seen Shrek may wonder why I chose a talking cookie for a name.... alas it is simply a disappointing coincidence.

On an unrelated note, I am growing it long now with aspirations of one day cutting it and donating it to Locks of Love. They will make it into a wig for an anonymous patient who has lost their hair to cancer. That terrible disease claimed my father's life and I'd like to think I can do his memory proud by doing this. Many of my female friends and family tell me losing their hair would affect how they saw themselves as a woman. I encourage all of you who can do something like this, to do it. I think of my dad every time I look in the mirror and the thought of helping a cancer warrior feel like a normal woman again is so rewarding.
              Bieksallent! My Player Collections:

http://sami-salo.webs.com

Comment

• ferro39
                • Sep 2008

awesome cause.

i was giving it the old college try earlier in the year until i found out that they need some insane amount like 10'' minimum. i have really, really thick hair, so while i was only about 1/2 way there, i was already starting to look like oscar gamble.

as for me? last name followed by my old hockey #

Comment

• RaiderNationPDX
                  • Mar 2011

I've been a devout Oakland/Los Angeles Raiders fan since childhood, and PDX is the airport code for Portland, Oregon, the sadly sports-agnostic city I live in.

That was probably way more of an explanation than was needed; it's very self-explanatory.

Comment

• godwulf
                    • Aug 2007

Not sure exactly how it happened or why, but my older sister and I, probably about the time we were in high school, developed these odd nicknames for one another. She was - and still is, I guess - Sylvia, Queen of the Gypsies, and I remain - at least to her - Baron Godwulf von Bronk.
                    Jeff
                    godwulf1@cox.net

Comment

• coxfan
                      • Feb 2009

My name's a pun on "Cox" and Cocks". I'm a native Georgian who's old enough to remember all of the Braves' "BC" era (before Cox), when the Braves made the playoffs only twice from 1966-1990 ( a quarter-century.) Thus, I appreciate the enormous difference between that and the Cox era.

And I live within walking distance of the stadiums ( both old and new) of the South Carolina Gamecocks. They're now two-time national champs (2010 and 2011). Since I've never lived in a major-league city, the Gamecocks are the most exciting team I've been personally able to participate with by going to games regularly. And with attendance averaging over 7,000 per game, they're in a small class of colleges where baseball is big. (Going back to Bobby Richardson of the Yankees, who as Gamecock head coach in the 70's built the program to national prominence.)

Comment

• brewcrew
                        • Mar 2011

I'll be honest...when you said "Cocks" I thought you were going in a different direction. I've been to Columbia twice for work-related trainings. The "real" USC has a gorgeous campus.

My forum name is probably obvious. Love my Brew Crew, hence the handle.

Comment

• bigklu18
                          • Apr 2006

Ted kluszewski - nicknamed Big Klu and wore number 18

Comment

• Shipp_96
                            • Feb 2011

Originally posted by godwulf
                            Not sure exactly how it happened or why, but my older sister and I, probably about the time we were in high school, developed these odd nicknames for one another. She was - and still is, I guess - Sylvia, Queen of the Gypsies, and I remain - at least to her - Baron Godwulf von Bronk.

My wife and I laughed at this all night, because we are always making up crazy names for our dog, similar to what you and your sister did.

Just thought I would share .

Comment

• Shipp_96
                              • Feb 2011

As for my forum name, it was not very original. On other forums I go by PSU_93 for my degree from Penn State, and so on here I decided to be different and represent my other Alma mater, so I went with Shipp_96.

But, I also knew it would not be taken !

Comment

Working...