PDA

View Full Version : Old Bat Clean up question

chicagoglen
09-07-2006, 12:41 PM
My father in law found an old bat in the house they just purchased. It looks thin like a fungo bat and is very dirty. I would like to clean it up so I can make out the markings better.

Two Questions:

1. Should i clean it?

2. if so, what should I use?

Thanks,

Glen

mjkm90
09-07-2006, 04:04 PM
Start with soap and water to get the grime off, then use Naptha. It won't remove patina and will show you temporarily (until it dries) what the markings would look like if you refinish the bat.

Mike H.

mjkm90
09-07-2006, 04:07 PM
The rule on store models is that they are ideal with either great patina for the early early bats or like new for others. Refinishing a store model bat can improve the value if it is well done. Obviously decal, ring, and painted logo bats need to be handled very carefully to avoid hurting the markings.

chicagoglen
09-09-2006, 11:37 PM
Just thought I'd let you know I ruind the bat. I washed to hard and the bat looks like new. It had a great petinia, old deep brown stain, and now it looks like new. Pisses me off but lesson learned.
Glen

mjkm90
09-10-2006, 06:03 AM
Like new isn't ruined for store models Glen. If you want it to be another color simply stain it.

chicagoglen
09-12-2006, 03:16 PM
Thanks for the post. I just got way to carried away with the scrubbing. No big deal. I just liked the look of it better with the darker color.

Thanks for your help.

I hope you don't think I was implying anything about your post when I said I ruined it.

I was just mad at myself for cleaning toooooo good.:D

mjkm90
09-12-2006, 03:44 PM
Not at all Glen. Check out Fred Lowman if you ever have a nice bat that needs restoration. Fred does incredible work with breaks, cracks, finishes, etc. I had a couple bats with completely shattered handles that he made look like new. I was amazed!!! Here is the link.

http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Lounge/9158/batrepair.html