PDA

View Full Version : Marshall Faulk Jersey at JOSportsCo

Krsoneus
07-11-2011, 09:23 PM
I didnt like this jersey for $500, when it was auctioned off by Mile High Cards:

http://www.milehighcardco.com/LotDetail.aspx?lotid=17918&searchby=0&searchvalue=None&page=0&sortby=0&displayby=2&lotsperpage=100&category=23&seo=1995-Marshall-Faulk-Indianapolis-Colts-Game-Used-Road-Jersey

I couldnt find a single photo that confirmed Faulk wearing these thin elastic band sleeves, all the pictures i saw clearly show him wearing the thicker elastic sleeve cuffs...

And I sure don't like it now, for $5,000, now on JO Sports website :

http://www.josportsco.com/view_product.asp?ProductID=6603

Do they buy vintage jerseys from auction houses now?
If they do, I hope they dont start mixing modern jerseys attained from auction houses in with the jerseys they get from the teams.

Krsoneus
07-11-2011, 09:29 PM
I just noticed, it doesnt even have the correct tail tagging...

It looks like somebody tooka a $100 authentic, stripped of the tail tagging, and then added some elastic to the sleeves.

Like one of these common authentics that are always on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1996-Authentic-Colts-Marshall-Faulk-jersey-44-WILSON-/270648301876?pt=US_Football_Fan_Shop&hash=item3f03e55934

Opinions?

Lokee
07-12-2011, 12:02 AM
:eek: Sweet Lou Lampson LOA to go with that.

TriplexXxSports
07-12-2011, 06:01 AM
"A few hit marks" for one of the best pound for pound players of that era? Especially on a white jersey?

I would be sure to do your homework.

TriplexXxSports
07-12-2011, 06:17 AM
And seeing as though I could only come across about 12 images of Faulk (from Getty) during that time period, I am interested in what Provenance (other than a Mile High & J.O. LOA) there is to support that this jersey was in fact worn by Marshall during the said (1996) season?

Any background provenance?

Any photomatches?

Team Letters?

Player Letter?

By no means am I a Colts expert, but hind sight is telling me that they were not handing out jerseys left and right to players then, like they do now, and that a white Away jersey would more than likely be worn for multiple games (if not the whole season) and show considerable wear.

Just my .02, and I have to admit that based on first look I would be very uncomfortable shelling out $5k for this piece, and I would personally ask for much better provenance before considering the purchase.

I would love to hear what support Mile High, or JO has to support their authentication of this piece.

ivo610
07-12-2011, 08:39 AM
With all the team "connections" they have they really have no excuse for putting out bad jerseys like this. I would think with all the access they have to Equipment Managers and teams this would be something they would check.

If anything they should get out of the business of anything they are not the first ones to sell. Its going to hurt their image too much.

legaleagle92481
07-12-2011, 11:05 AM
With all the team "connections" they have they really have no excuse for putting out bad jerseys like this. I would think with all the access they have to Equipment Managers and teams this would be something they would check.

If anything they should get out of the business of anything they are not the first ones to sell. Its going to hurt their image too much.

Great point. Reality is like any business they want to make as much money as possible so it won't happen and also they know that the team stuff they sell after they sell it year after year demand will drop as the market becomes saturated with jerseys of the players on these teams and as a result their profits and sales will fall so they seem to be trying to cut that off by diversifying their product line now.

josportsco
07-12-2011, 11:54 AM
Thank you for all the points. How our system works is we have a ACTIVE and INACTIVE button on our back end system. This jersey was to be INACTIVE. I agree there is no reason we would want or even try to mislead or sale ANY item that is questionable. We are in the process to communicate with the folks at Mile High and address this thread with them and return the item. We are doing a overall inventory count as we speak to be ready for 2011 football season. We have always purchased from auctions not so much current but football in general. Thank you for the comments and the personal emails to make us aware of this jersey.

TriplexXxSports
07-12-2011, 01:21 PM
...I agree there is no reason we would want or even try to mislead or sale ANY item that is questionable. We are in the process to communicate with the folks at Mile High and address this thread with them and return the item....

Maybe I misread.... But, wouldn't you want this information prior to purchasing the jersey from them? I know I (as a buyer) would want that information from you prior to purchase. Why would you buy something without proper provenance, or 100% certainty that the item is credible?

Mattapan03
07-12-2011, 01:27 PM
Great point. Reality is like any business they want to make as much money as possible so it won't happen and also they know that the team stuff they sell after they sell it year after year demand will drop as the market becomes saturated with jerseys of the players on these teams and as a result their profits and sales will fall so they seem to be trying to cut that off by diversifying their product line now.

Great point. Look at how many Brandon Lloyd Redskins are now all over the market and nobody seems to even be bothering with them...even for less than $200

ivo610
07-12-2011, 02:39 PM
Maybe they should just sell these jerseys to the card companies. That way everyone is happy. God knows they can't tell if the jersey has been worn or not before they take a scissors to it.

kprst6
07-12-2011, 03:28 PM
We have always purchased from auctions

That statement in itself angers me.

sox83cubs84
07-12-2011, 05:30 PM
From what I've seen in their auctions, while Mile High is excellent with cards, the reliability of their game-used offerings seems to leave a lot to be desired.

Dave Miedema

solarlottry
07-13-2011, 02:29 AM
When I visited JO last month in Vegas they had a rack of gamers off to one side and the funny thing is that the majority of those shirts were the exact jerseys in the newest Panini video. During my visit the guys could not have been any cooler so I have no complaints but, as with any game used item, one must do their homework before any purchase especially a shirt such as a Colts Faulk gamer.

Mile High is probably the worst auction house for game used jerseys in my opinion. Again this is just my opinion. They had a Jerry Rice 1994 shirt that was clearly fake, with a fake Derrick Thomas LOA, and I emailed them all of my concerns, backed up with getty images. They didnt respond or pull the shirt. In fact it sold for almost 2K which again shows how people dont do even the most basic research before buying.

The fact that JO would buy something without intensive research before purchasing it is worrisome. For their vintage items, at the prices they charge, the shirts better be the real deal!!!!

I was a bit dismayed to see that many gamers going to Panini to be cut up. That being said JO is a business and if Panini has the $$$$ then they have every right to buy whatever is for sale and do whatever they wish with it. Obviously it sucks but with the poor economy and a potential lack of customers, JO selling to Panini makes perfect sense. If it keeps them in business so we can buy the gamers we want, then so be it. One would hope that the collector would at least get 1st choice so we dont lose out on a potentially key component of ones collection.

One would also hope that JO only sells the current stuff to Panini and is not actively seeking out older shirts such as Montana, Rice, Elway, Payton etc for the express purpose of selling to Panini to be destroyed. Now that would be something that would make me question any future purchase thru them.

My visit with JO was outstanding and in todays economy a business has to do what it needs to do to survive, pay the bills and hopefully turn a profit. With what JO pays the teams for the contract for the years game used equipment I cant see how not selling to Panini is an option if they pay well.

Always buying 49ers shirts and paying a nice finders fee!
Paul
garciajones@yahoo.com

kprst6
07-13-2011, 08:27 AM
Just because a seller is nice, doesn't make them reputable or their merchandise more authentic. Heck, almost anyone would be extremely nice to you if they were selling you a fake Faulk jersey for a few thousand dollars profit.

josportsco
07-13-2011, 01:44 PM
That statement in itself angers me.

It angers you that I personally buy sports memorabilia from auctions?? I will make sure I let Hunt, Grey Flannel, Heritage, NFL Auctions, MLB Auctions etc. know that because I own a business selling Sports Memorabilia that a person on GUU forum is angry that I participate in purchasing from their auction. I am pretty sure I know what their answer will be. I have football and baseball jerseys dating back to the 50's in my collection and sometimes do sell them. This is nothing different then any other person whom collects or is in the business. I find this statement a joke.
As for this Faulk, Brian Drent was just in my office and the jersey was pulled out for discussion. Brian came into town for business. The jersey was purchased and accompanied with 3 letters of authenticity. I myself had reservations about the jersey and had on a rack to discuss and send back. A employee grabbed the jersey off the rack and accidently hit the active button on our website that serves as our inventory database. The employee since has been reprimanded and procedures have been taken so only a couple of employees are allowed in our inventory room. I am not saying that since the jersey had 3 letters of authenticity then it was good. This is a unfortunate mistake for the employee of JOS as for my company that the jersey was mistakingly made active hence, making it look like we were selling a questionable jersey. This is the last I am going to comment on this topic. If anyone is uncomfortable or questioning the authenticity and can prove that they have purchased a bad jersey football, baseball, basketball let us know and we will give you a full refund. I am sorry for the inconvienience this has caused the GUU forum, the employee, and any other parties mentioned.

Mattfedo01
07-13-2011, 01:53 PM
Searching through the Vick Items at JO Sports I came across the following issues: The Vick Game Used Signed and Inscribed Cleats from 11/7/10 against the Colts are not the cleats he wore for that game and also 9/26/10 aginst the Jags are also wrong!!!:( They both are inscribed to those games but you can see on Getty Images that he was wearing different cleats!!! Can anyone else see this??

Matt

josportsco
07-13-2011, 02:11 PM
The shoes were dated wrong. Jax should have been Indy and Indy should have been Jax. I am leaving our office now for a flight to Miami to secure Basketball game worn and then to Philly on Monday. I will have the cleats shipped to Mike house and film the date inscription on the cleats. Mike mistaking got the dates mixed up on the cleats.

ivo610
07-13-2011, 06:47 PM
It might be beneficial for everyone if you (JO sports) would put a disclaimer on your vintage section if you did not secure the item through a team or player. You have a high level of confidence from most collectors because of the deals you have with teams and players, so to muddy that with a few vintage jerseys that came from auction houses or people you have traded with seems like a mistake.

While I have turned newer collectors onto your company I always make sure to give a little buyer beware comment about the vintage section. As more than likely you would know the chain of ownership of a Peterson or Vick jersey, you wouldnt be able to with the lets say Anthony Munoz jersey you have listed.

josportsco
07-14-2011, 01:46 AM
This is a 100% excellent idea. We will incorporate that language in any description of an item that did not come directly from a team or player. Give us a couple 3 weeks to get everything added. Again, I am on the road for a week and only have a week window than back on the road again. But thank you very much for shareing a constructive comment to help us help you. Thank you

legaleagle92481
07-14-2011, 01:54 AM
This is a 100% excellent idea. We will incorporate that language in any description of an item that did not come directly from a team or player. Give us a couple 3 weeks to get everything added. Again, I am on the road for a week and only have a week window than back on the road again. But thank you very much for shareing a constructive comment to help us help you. Thank you

Another suggestion is you should consider creating two different Thermapatches. One for items you obtain first hand from players and teams and one for items that you obtain secondhand for auctions, etc. This way when these items are resold by your customers down the line subsquent purchasers will be able to tell which items you had gotten first hand and which were not. You also should note this on the LOAs if you don't already. Alot of collectors when they see the JO thermapatch assume the item came from a team or player firsthand.

ivo610
07-14-2011, 02:10 AM

Happy to help the hobby in any way. The less problems you have in this area the less problems everyone else has. Happy to see a company addressing concerns from customers, its rare in this hobby it seems like.

Mulligans
07-14-2011, 11:13 AM
Not to get too far off topic, but I was curious.....Would you put a Thermapatch on every Modern Day Jersey that you sell?

I was told by one of your staff that some Teams use materials that would not allow a Thermapatch because it would melt the Jersey? It just sounded a bit odd? If this is true, can't you just glue it on?

It seems funny that something so important for Authentication purposes cannot be applied to a Jersey?

34swtns
07-14-2011, 12:58 PM
I've got several older Game Exclusives-era gamers that I wish had the thermapatch on them. Anybody could easily see that they're game worn but I do like having that dated patch on the inside hem.

Krsoneus
07-14-2011, 02:57 PM
Speaking of the therma patches, sometimes the patch says "2010 Season" but not a pinpointed to a specific game. Is this because it was worn in multiple games, or because the team lost track of when it was used and/or if it was used?

There is a Ray Lewis gamer up right now labeled "2010 Season", but no specific use is mentioned / and looks clean. Is it possible this was customized, and game prepared, but unused?

http://www.josportsco.com/view_product.asp?ProductID=5781

Thanks

josportsco
07-14-2011, 09:42 PM
Another suggestion is you should consider creating two different Thermapatches. One for items you obtain first hand from players and teams and one for items that you obtain secondhand for auctions, etc. This way when these items are resold by your customers down the line subsquent purchasers will be able to tell which items you had gotten first hand and which were not. You also should note this on the LOAs if you don't already. Alot of collectors when they see the JO thermapatch assume the item came from a team or player firsthand.

We will consider this. Almost all current NFL is obtained directly from teams or players.

josportsco
07-14-2011, 09:46 PM
Not to get too far off topic, but I was curious.....Would you put a Thermapatch on every Modern Day Jersey that you sell?

I was told by one of your staff that some Teams use materials that would not allow a Thermapatch because it would melt the Jersey? It just sounded a bit odd? If this is true, can't you just glue it on?

It seems funny that something so important for Authentication purposes cannot be applied to a Jersey?

No we would not put a thermopatch on every modern day jersey. Example we just obtained over 160 Rams 2006-2008 and 160 Redskins 2005-2008 jerseys all lower end with VERY few higher end. We are not thermopatching these jerseys. you will recieve a letter from the team/JOS.

This is incorrect. the jerseys DO NOT melt. BUT the newer seamless style we have had to change our fabric used because the heat machine actually burnt the jersey material.

josportsco
07-14-2011, 09:52 PM
Speaking of the therma patches, sometimes the patch says "2010 Season" but not a pinpointed to a specific game. Is this because it was worn in multiple games, or because the team lost track of when it was used and/or if it was used?

There is a Ray Lewis gamer up right now labeled "2010 Season", but no specific use is mentioned / and looks clean. Is it possible this was customized, and game prepared, but unused?

http://www.josportsco.com/view_product.asp?ProductID=5781

Thanks

We get jerseys throughout the season mostly unwashed and dated to a specific game. we also get jerseys during the season washed that are not dated to a specific game as well as jersey after the season. These are almost always washed and not dated to a specific game. NFL washer and detergent are like nothing I have ever seen before. The machines are a monster, the water is extremely hot and the detergent is extremely strong. I have seen jerseys that are completely destroyed with mud, grass, blood, paint, hit marks that were washed and came out as clean as new. This is a jersey that was obtained after the season in our game allotment.