PDA

View Full Version : Manny Ramirez bat originated from Manny himself!

gameused
09-08-2006, 02:22 AM
Currently on ebay is a game used Manny Ramirez LVS bat that Manny sold to Phil Castinetti of Sportsworld in Boston, Phil bought a bunch of game used items directly from Manny after the 2005 season, below is the Boston globe article and a photo of some of the game used items that were purchased, you can see in the photo that it's the same LVS bat on ebay. Too bad the paint is peeled from the bat. I'm looking for the same Manny ash model S318 bat, if anyone knows where I can obtain one please let me know!

The same seller also has a signed Manny 2004 game used home jersey that I think originated from the same Sportsworld sale.

Thanks, Bobby

Globe article:
http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2005/12/20/its_been_winter_wonder_land/

Ebay auctions:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Game-Used-Manny-Ramirez-Louisville-Slugger-Bat-Red-Sox_W0QQitemZ290027467036QQihZ019QQcategoryZ60596Q QrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/2004-Manny-Ramirez-Game-Used-Red-Sox-Home-Jersey_W0QQitemZ290027467100QQihZ019QQcategoryZ605 97QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

staindsox
09-08-2006, 01:27 PM
I wonder how much use the jersey shows. It didn't say in the listing. The tagging looked okay, but was pretty crisp too, so it may not be that "used." I thought about bidding, but I'm staying away. I'm not a big fan of Broadway Rick.

Chris

jon_8_us
09-08-2006, 05:33 PM
Great thread!I spoke with Phil on the phone a few months ago in response to that Boston Globe article to see if he was getting anymore Manny stuff and he is very accomadating and nice.Anyways.My question to you Bobby why would the paint be like that??Just wear or what?Thanks
jon

gameused
09-08-2006, 05:41 PM
Jon,

Probally caused by repeated ball contact/deadwood or maybe a paint defect from LVS.

Bobby

stlbats
09-09-2006, 03:46 PM
If you read the bat's ebay description, it does not say anything regarding the paint issue. Obviously it can be seen well in the photos, but I think should be mentioned in the text. I wouldn't really call it "beautiful" as this is heavy use but definately detracts from displaying the bat, which "experts" say does hurt the value of gamers.

jason

samc117
09-10-2006, 12:20 AM
I think the paint came off because the bat may have been taped for BP. The paint can come off when pulling the tape off of the bat. Just a thought.

gameused
09-10-2006, 03:48 PM
Usually when a bat is taped for BP and then removed you usually have the sticky tape residue left on the barrel.

From what I've seen on game used Manny bats they almost always have the majority of ball/stitch marks concentrated on the area just above his name. This bat most likely had a large area of deadwood and the paint was peeled away.

Bobby

sportscentury
09-10-2006, 09:06 PM
I think the paint came off because the bat may have been taped for BP. The paint can come off when pulling the tape off of the bat. Just a thought.

Sam,

I agree with you that that can happen (I've seen this to be the case with a couple of BP bats), but I agree with Bobby that there doesn't seem to be any tape residue (normally the residue will show exactly where the tape had been on BP bats).

I had a couple of early Ken Griffey Jr. game used bats (from his Mariners days) that were perfect (came from Jeff Johnson of Coast to Coast). They had the paint peeled off from major sections of the barrel. I always wondered how that had happened and figured that once it started to peel, it kept on going until somone tore it off - still not certain about it, though.

Reid

nate
09-10-2006, 11:46 PM
I've seen the paint pull off on a Posada bat. It was only minor compared to the Manny bat. Not sure if it's a defect in the paint sticking to the wood.

jon_8_us
09-11-2006, 09:38 AM
I'm just gonna back up Bobby's point.All my Ramirez bats are pounded in the exact area that the paint is coming off on this bat.One of my bats the paint is actually raised up and would peel off very easily.
jon