PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Cleaning the Inside of a Game-Worn Helmet...

LandRunSports
07-13-2011, 12:40 PM
Please read before bashing me, it is necessary.

I recently obtained a game-worn helmet from a storage unit in Florida. The inside of the helmet is littered with roach feces. I removed all the padding and quickly soaked each peice in a warm light bleach and water mix before wiping off with a rag. All feces, sweat, dirt and even shreds of grass were removed from the pads.

However...
The inside shell is still filled with small grains of roach crap. Any suggestions on how to remove the unwanted poo without damaging the already brittle "paint/chemical warnings" sticker or the impact "warning" sticker and the following stickers, players name & barcodes? ...and velcro? Please keep in mind that the remaining feces are plastered on the helmet like concrete. It will take a lot of elbow grease and warm water to disolve and remove the mess. How can I do it without damaging anything else?

In advance, I appreciate the suggestions.

Brian

godwulf
07-13-2011, 12:47 PM
No suggestions, sorry.

Just felt compelled to say, "Eeeuww!"

:rolleyes:

BrianK
07-13-2011, 03:29 PM
I'd be tempted to try an enzyme cleaner.
http://www.cleanitsupply.com/t-r22.aspx
http://www.cleaners-r-us.com/Biozyme.html
Be warned that I haven't tried this. (Fortunately I haven't had the need.) It might still damage the stickers. If there's a paste or something thicker than the liquid, that would probably be better.

freddiefreeman5
07-13-2011, 03:38 PM

ziggy
07-13-2011, 04:50 PM
Unless it was something worth a lot of money I would have just thrown it away.

LandRunSports
07-13-2011, 06:50 PM
The helmet is clean, thank God. What a mess! Here it is...

William Bartee 1999 Sooners Game-Worn. Photo-matched to Missouri and Senior Bowl. Chiefs 2nd Round Draft Pick.

It's not Adrian Peterson, but I think I'll hold off on burning it or throwing it away. :rolleyes:

Shipp_96
07-13-2011, 07:16 PM
The helmet is clean, thank God. What a mess! Here it is...

William Bartee 1999 Sooners Game-Worn. Photo-matched to Missouri and Senior Bowl. Chiefs 2nd Round Draft Pick.

It's not Adrian Peterson, but I think I'll hold off on burning it or throwing it away. :rolleyes:

That actually looks like a really nice helmet, and worth all of your hard work! I am disgusted and revolted knowing what I now know about it, and hope whomever buys this gem from you does not have the urge to "try it on"...ehhhh.