PDA

View Full Version : Relative Humidity and Preservation of Game Used

frikativ54
07-13-2011, 07:29 PM
I wanted to pool some of the expertise of forum members in asking about humidity and game used items. As one gracious forum member informed me, the relative humidity in a room should not be over 55% to protect a collection.

Trouble is that my room approaches 60%. I am interested in investing money in some kind of humidity control, but I don't know where to go after that. In an ideal world, I would just have one control for adjusting humidity up and down. But do such products exist for one bedroom game-used display?

Thanks for any help you can provide. I've spent a lot on my collection, and I want to make sure it is preserved. :)

asr1084
07-13-2011, 08:39 PM
That is a great question. I collect mainly gu bats and those bats are in a lock safe. The safe is like a 30 cu ft safe. In that safe I spent about 70 something bucks on specific dehumidifiers made specifically for an enclosed space. Every month I re_energize the dehumidifiers (I use 2 in the safe). Each dehumidifier covers 50 cu ft lol so I went extreme so I don't have to energize them as often. So far, so good....no problems.

I think the biggest concern would be jerseys, hats (anything cloth) as far as toughest to preserve. I think keeping your AC on in the summer and heat in the winter and maybe a dehumidifer for the space depending on your moisture content in the room determines the size would help immensely.

frikativ54
07-13-2011, 08:59 PM
I think the biggest concern would be jerseys, hats (anything cloth) as far as toughest to preserve. I think keeping your AC on in the summer and heat in the winter and maybe a dehumidifer for the space depending on your moisture content in the room determines the size would help immensely.

The problem is that we don't have air conditioning. Back when we moved into our house the Pacific Northwest was relatively tame during the summer. However, over the last 10 to 15 years, we have been experiencing a climactic change and winters have been colder and summers much, much warmer. It's amazing how different it is in Seattle now than when I was growing up.

For the past five years or so, I have stored my collectibles in my parents' home for safety and security related reasons. Recently I've even gone to live with them to save money. So I don't have a lot of options for where to store my game used memorabilia. I just have a lot of hats and some jerseys, and I hate to see those get ruined.

-Frik

asr1084
07-13-2011, 09:09 PM
Frik - I hear ya there regarding the temperatures. I'm in ohio so I feel you there. This is one of my biggest worries (moisture and security). The hobby is expensive, let alone spending money on the display, temperature control in this case etc etc etc. I have spent a lot of money on fixing this issue (hence a safe and safe dehumidifiers).

My suggestion for you would be to get a dehumidifer for the room (make sure it is one that will cover your room space) and monitor the humidity level with a gage. In wouldn't hurt to run a fan (box or ceiling) to circulate air as the dehumidifier grabs the air. Hopefully that will help. Good luck. I'd be interested to hear how you proceed and if you see positive results....

HawaiiSportsNut
07-13-2011, 09:28 PM
Here in Hawaii the humidity is quite high year round so a dehumidifier is a must. I purchased a dehumidifier from Sears & have it set at 55%. It kicks on when the humidity hits around 58-59% & knocks off when at 53-55%. I keep the room shut year round so that the dehumidifier doesn't work around the clock. There are various sizes of dehumidifier ranging from 35 pints to 70 pints, the larger the capacity means less emptying of the water container. You can also pick up dehumidifiers at any hardware stores such as Lowe's or Home Depot.

primeradriver
07-13-2011, 10:42 PM
Frik,

I live in the Seattle area as well.

My main focus is game used shoes, which any shoe collector will tell you, is far more delicate than a jersey, bat or ball. I also do jerseys and signed balls.

My collecting has ramped up over the past 15 years and have successfully stored/displayed my collection without issue. I think we're blessed in Western Washington to have collectible-friendly weather.

I only take action during the one month per year where the weather can be really hot (at least to us). A couple years ago I bought a window AC unit and run it on a constant 72deg, with the de-humidifying on, during the hot spree. The other 11 months it sits in the garage. Other than that, I use nothing to control the climate. One thing I should note is that my 'man-room' only gets 2-3 hours of early morning sun.

Of course, I use UV and heat-control film on my windows, Conservation glass on all my framed pieces and LED light bulbs throughout. As for the weather, I think we're really fortunate.

OaklandAsFan
07-14-2011, 12:57 AM
what is this humidity that you speak of, no clue what that is living in AZ where people whine when it gets over 6% :)

mbenga28
07-14-2011, 06:40 AM
I asked this before, maybe more member might be able to give feedback in this part of the forums but what's the best way to protect leather items, such as baseballs, footballs and basketballs? besides temperature and humidity, do they need to be covered in acid/gassing free environments?

cohibasmoker
07-14-2011, 06:59 AM
I asked this before, maybe more member might be able to give feedback in this part of the forums but what's the best way to protect leather items, such as baseballs, footballs and basketballs? besides temperature and humidity, do they need to be covered in acid/gassing free environments?

Leather products are all-natural materials and they need air to breath. Our home is air-conditioned and my footballs are displayed in a clear UV acrylic cases. To let air circulate and to keep dust to a minimum inside the case, I have little rubber gaskets that separate the top of the cases from the base.

Jim

flaa1a@comcast.net

mbenga28
07-14-2011, 10:09 AM
Leather products are all-natural materials and they need air to breath. Our home is air-conditioned and my footballs are displayed in a clear UV acrylic cases. To let air circulate and to keep dust to a minimum inside the case, I have little rubber gaskets that separate the top of the cases from the base.

Jim

flaa1a@comcast.net

thanks Jim, do you have some photos you can show me on how you have your cases set up? also, are the cases supposed to be acid free or some other conservatory property to prevent the leather from breaking down? acrylic cases I usually see for sports memorabilia seem to only address light/UV issues but not other factors that break items down. thanks!

mbenga28
07-14-2011, 10:44 AM
one more question since we are on the topic of preservation, how do members here store their letters of authenticity? I've been using magazine size mylars with acid free backing boards for all of mine, but wanted to know if there are better archival options out there.