PDA

View Full Version : Clemens jersey on eBay

sportscentury
09-08-2006, 10:31 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/Houston-Astros-Roger-Clemens-SIGNED-Game-Issued-Jersey_W0QQitemZ300024919271QQihZ020QQcategoryZ605 97QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

What do folks think of this jersey? (I ask this question without any inference at all that the jersey is not good - I'm just curious).

Reid

trsent
09-08-2006, 11:16 AM
Only .62 cents shipping, and there is a shipping discount available if you buy more than one item.

Do you think they pre-cut the jersey into little pieces and put it into a 2 ounce envelope to ship to Upper Deck, which would explain the .62 cent shipping fee?

astros*bats
09-08-2006, 12:52 PM
Reid and Joel,

The seller won this jersey in a previous auction for $525...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=27264&item=170020029014

I am always very weary of any game used jersey that this seller offers. He has posted many Astros game used jerseys in the past that showed very minimal use.

The seller specializes in signed authentic jerseys, as he buys authentic Astros jerseys on eBay, has them signed, and resells them. He also buys blank Astros jerseys, has them customized with authentic numbers, letter, and patches and then resells them. I can not tell from the original auction if there is a 2004 All-Star patch on the sleeve, but there is one on the new auction.

The seller also buys blank issued jerseys and has them customized. I am not accusing the seller of passing them off as game used, but you can see why someone would tend to shy away from a gamer that shows very little to no use that is offered from the same seller.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=204&item=250022789086

sportscentury
09-08-2006, 01:13 PM
Reid and Joel,

The seller won this jersey in a previous auction for $525...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=27264&item=170020029014

I am always very weary of any game used jersey that this seller offers. He has posted many Astros game used jerseys in the past that showed very minimal use.

The seller specializes in signed authentic jerseys, as he buys authentic Astros jerseys on eBay, has them signed, and resells them. He also buys blank Astros jerseys, has them customized with authentic numbers, letter, and patches and then resells them. I can not tell from the original auction if there is a 2004 All-Star patch on the sleeve, but there is one on the new auction.

The seller also buys blank issued jerseys and has them customized. I am not accusing the seller of passing them off as game used, but you can see why someone would tend to shy away from a gamer that shows very little to no use that is offered from the same seller.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=204&item=250022789086

AJ,

Thanks for the insight.

Best,
Reid

kingjammy24
09-08-2006, 01:23 PM
so it started off as a "roger clemens autographed jersey" and then somehow became a "roger clemens signed game issued jersey". how much longer until it becomes a "roger clemens signed game worn jersey"?

as for those who don't see the issue in pro-coded, pro-tagged, unissued, jerseys flooding the market, perhaps this begins to illustrate it.

i can't help but tip my hat to the rangers & meigray for their great system. absolutely phenominal what they've done.

rudy.

suave1477
09-08-2006, 03:04 PM
Ok the only thing I can say that concerns me is the size 50????? I do not know or nor am I fmailair with Roger Clemens sizes and maybe someone here can help out on his sizes but just in comparison. Darryl Strawberry wears a 52 (At the present time) and Roger Clemens is way bigger then him so I would only imagine Clemens would be at least a 52 but I could be wrong!!

cjosefy
09-08-2006, 03:23 PM
The COA on the auction from which this seller BOUGHT the jersey is dated July 19, 2006 and says that the jersey was donated by Roger to the United Way of San Antonio.

The seller of the original jersey makes a point to show the Texas patch. I doubt the All-Star patch was originally on the jersey, as it is likely the original seller would have shown it as well.

Without the All-Star patch, the jersey would date to 2005, which is logical given that Clemens didn't rejoin the Astros until late June 2006, so any likely donation would have been made with extra 2005 jeresys that he ordered (which looks like the case).

sportscentury
09-08-2006, 03:39 PM
so it started off as a "roger clemens autographed jersey" and then somehow became a "roger clemens signed game issued jersey". how much longer until it becomes a "roger clemens signed game worn jersey"?

as for those who don't see the issue in pro-coded, pro-tagged, unissued, jerseys flooding the market, perhaps this begins to illustrate it.

i can't help but tip my hat to the rangers & meigray for their great system. absolutely phenominal what they've done.

rudy.

Rudy,

I agree completely. With respect to the Rangers/MeiGray system, it continues to be heads above the rest; the argument made in favor of the Yankees/Steiner system is not at all compelling ... how the two systems can be compared when one system tracks each individual jersey and the other does not is entirely beyond me. Not to mention the considerable differences in employee knowledge and customer service. Again, I welcome any honest and authentic Steiner representative to provide evidence and a compelling argument to the contrary. Good luck!

Reid

P.S. I can't tell you how many collectors I've talked with who would like to see MeiGray secure all MLB teams. MeiGray gets this request from collectors all the time and I know they continue to actively pursue agreements with other MLB teams.

trsent
09-08-2006, 03:42 PM
Here we go again.

I thought from the start this was being sold as a game used jersey, I now see it is being sold as a Game Issued jersey, which because there is no real definition for what Game Issued is, this is a Game Issued jersey.

Right? It has the 0062 was code, so therefor it is a Game Issued jersey in the seller's mind. The definition doesn't exist, just your assumptions.

Right?

stkmtimo
09-08-2006, 03:45 PM
Rudy,

I agree completely. With respect to the Rangers/MeiGray system, it continues to be heads above the rest; the argument made in favor of the Yankees/Steiner system is not at all compelling ... how the two systems can be compared when one system tracks each individual jersey and the other does not is entirely beyond me. Not to mention the considerable differences in employee knowledge and customer service. Again, I welcome any honest and authentic Steiner representative to provide evidence and a compelling argument to the contrary. Good luck!

Reid

P.S. I can't tell you how many collectors I've talked with who would like to see MeiGray secure all MLB teams. MeiGray gets this request from collectors all the time and I know they continue to actively pursue agreements with other MLB teams.

That's a very good point, Reid. I still see MeiGray as the standard in the game worn jersey business. Every item I have purchased from them has had outstanding use. The packaging and the actual tracking of the jersey from their inventory into your hands is a huge plus, as well as the fact that it stays in their MeiGrade system for life. You know you're getting the real deal.

MeiGray's employees at all levels are also top notch and among the nicest and most efficient I have ever dealt with. I too would love to see MeiGray sign other teams to deals like they have with the Rangers - that would be fantastic!

Tim

astros*bats
09-08-2006, 03:47 PM
Your right, the jersey is not being sold as game used, only as game issued. But you can almost bet that this jersey is probably going to resurface somewhere as game worn.

As Chris J. mentioned, I wouldn't be surprised if the seller of the jersey added the 2004 All-Star jersey, as he regularly customizes blank jerseys.

eGameUsed
09-08-2006, 04:56 PM
Last year I picked up an item at the Roger Clemens foundation. While I was waiting, I noticed they had tons of autographed Clemens jerseys just like this, all size 50 (non-retail size, but smaller than he usually wears). I noticed they all had 0062 tags (obviously the foundation ordered them through Majestic or the Astros, so didn't get 6200). I asked if they sold them and they said they only donate them to charities.

Also, Lelands once offered a road grey 2004 jersey that was signed twice. It was size 50 and the auction stated it came from the Roger Clemens Foundation.

Long story short: Roger is very protective of his game used/worn items. I would stay away from size 50 jerseys.

Thanks,

suave1477
09-08-2006, 05:02 PM
egameused thank you for stressing my point that the jerseys isn't even his size!!!

teke52
09-08-2006, 07:37 PM
That seller is shady at best with theire listings, but when you catch them in their lie, they will refund your money for the jersey back. I know first hand as I have dealt with them twice...and to be fair, here we go...

1. I bought an authentic autographed Berkman...when the jersey came it had different hologram number than pics and was a different size then jersey in pics...end result they sent me the correct autographed Berkman, which I am pleased with (but it did cost me $5 to send back their switch job, which had snags on the jersey).

2. I bought that 2001 9/11 Black Oswalt Gamer...end result 9/11 patch was a poor, fake, afterthought, add on to what did appear to be an Oswalt gamer. Now it could have been a blank that they did up, or an "issued", or a bunch of other things. It showed way too much use for an alternate jersey. They sent me FULL REFUND when I called them on the flaws in their scam (example, front pic of jersey had 2 little stains on the A and no stiching in neck where 9/11 flag was...actual jersey had same 2 little stains, same exact place, but YELLOW STITCHING where 9/11 flag was)...but again I ate $5 shipping.

end analysis, IMHO, I will not deal with them a third time...and I wouldn't trust anything they SELL or SAY (and believe me they will try to lie two or three times, they even had the B@LLS to admit that I caught them in a few lies and that "this industry has a lot of room for poetic licensing in descriptions of items"...based on that last statement and their admission of multiple lies, I can't say anything nice about them other than they did give me my money back and didn't just thief it from me (which we all either have been ripped of or know someone who has)...I just don't want the hassles, especially when you ask a lot of questions like I do and I end up getting lied to anyway.

This is a great forum, and I come here a lot to read, research and have even gotten some jerseys from members, so I feel obligated to get the facts out.

I guess that's where "buyer beware" came from. OK, I'm done with my rant...lol.

'Stros RULE!!!

astros*bats
09-09-2006, 09:58 AM
I have contacted the seller twice and asked about the two jerseys in question and recieved no response as I expected. I sent a third email after reading teke's post and asked the seller if they were ever going to stop ignoring the problems with their jerseys and if they thought it was fun decieving collectors, to which I got this response:

http://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/s.giftell_your_story (http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback&userid=tell_your_story&sspagename=ADME:L:RTQ:US:2)( 873 (http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback&userid=tell_your_story)http://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/icon/iconPurpleStar_25x25.gif)http://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/s.gif
http://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/s.gifAlways cool raking in the dough.

teke52
09-09-2006, 10:45 AM
Doesn't surprise me one bit.

But hey, now whoever sees this thread will know the risks involved with this seller...and that's a good thing :D

Research and education will limit (but not eliminate) your chances of getting screwed...lol

'Stros RULE!!!