gnishiyama
07-14-2011, 03:14 PM
I don't agree:

I would say $50K at least..

http://www.twincities.com/twins/ci_18472539?nclick_check=1
Charley Walters: MLB prepares for Jim Thome's milestone HR

Pioneer Press

Updated: 07/13/2011 11:43:45 PM CDT

Only seven players in major league history have hit 600 home runs. The Twins' Jim Thome has 595 career homers.
Major League Baseball is getting ready for Thome's 600th.
After Thome hits homer No. 598, MLB will begin supplying opposing pitchers with specially marked baseballs to ensure the authenticity of No. 600. Pitchers will be given the marked balls every time Thome comes to bat.
A No. 600 home run ball by Thome would be valued at about $4,000 on the sports memorabilia market.

d2ray13
07-14-2011, 04:12 PM
Agree with your disagree... He will be the 8th player in baseball history, and only $4k? The memorabilia market amazes me. Obviously not the best example, but Steiner has Jeter's 3k pieces going for $1,000, and in reality, all it is, is a signed bat or jersey with the 3k logo.

This will be the actual ball.

I just don't see how such an accomplishment can be matched with 4 jeter signed jerseys.

frikativ54
07-14-2011, 04:29 PM
The OP's link doesn't work.

stretch
07-14-2011, 05:02 PM
Only $4k?

I'd bet the over.

Jags Fan Dan
07-14-2011, 05:36 PM
I'd bet it would go for more than that. But I don't know about $50k. For whatever reason, Thome just doesn't get the love that a lot of players do.

gnishiyama
07-14-2011, 08:46 PM
For whatever reason, Thome just doesn't get the love that a lot of players do.

Yeah I always wondered about that. If not for the article, I wouldn't have
known Thome was that close to 600.

I wonder why? Is it because he was never on a contender? He never played
on a team I rooted for so I don't know how popular he is.

After Griffey, he may be one of the last PED-free players to hit 600 in the
near future, maybe even a very long time. I know Pujols and Prince have a
legitimate shot but with injuries you just never know. Pujols is a safe
bet but not sure how Prince's body will hold up into his late 30's.

Thome deserves more credit.

Goh Nishiyama

allstarsplus
07-14-2011, 09:12 PM
What a joke. Where do these estimates come from? I bet there are a few Thome collectors on here who would go for it and just in case the person who catches it Google's and finds this thread I would pay $5,000 for it.

Thome HR balls are in big demand as he obtains so many of he own HR balls and keeps them and chances are he gets his 600th HR ball. I would think $10,000 to $25,000 feels like the right number and again I am a buyer at $5,000 if you catch it!!!!!!! ;)

sox83cubs84
07-14-2011, 09:22 PM
There are collectors who would pay big-time for Thome's 600th...I'm friends with one (a former Forum member).

Thome does like to get back more than the basic milestone numbers in terms of home runs he hits...I was at a game in 2009 when he hit one to the center field gap behind the wall at the Cell. A groundskeeper tossed it into the stands, where a guy in his early 20s got it.

I found him, offered him $500 for the ball, and he was seriously considering the offer when two Sox security guards showed up, said Thome wanted the ball back (it apparently allowed him to pass Reggie Jackson on the all-time list), and that the fan could meet Thome. That last part caused the guy to tell me "no thanks", and my near acquisition was dead in the water.

I doubt he'll hit it at the Cell, and doubt even more that I'd end up with it. If that ever did happen, though, I'd head for the nearest exit ASAP...I'd have no interest in returning it.

Dave Miedema

xpress34
07-14-2011, 11:30 PM
Is it because he was never on a contender?

Goh Nishiyama

Goh -

How are you?

Never played on a contender?

1995 Indians WS
1996 Indians ALDS
1997 Indians WS
1998 Indians ALCS
1999 Indians ALDS
2001 Indians ALDS
2008 White Sox ALDS
2009 Dodgers NLCS
2010 Twins ALDS

That's 9 Post Seasons my friend.... I'm pretty sure making the Post Season makes you a contender...

Nothing personal, just wanted to put that out there...

- Smitty

gnishiyama
07-15-2011, 01:44 AM
Smitty,
Everything is well..thanks again for those stitch balls..those
made great Christmas presents.

Anyway thanks for the info..I didn't bother to check my facts.

I hope Thome ends up with the ball since I 100% believe he
did it the right way.

Goh

kudu
07-15-2011, 02:21 AM
How much would a specially marked Thome foul ball go for?

dcgreg25
07-15-2011, 07:43 AM
Put me on the list of buyers well north of the estimate. I think it would be safe to say that double figures should be easily reachable on this baseball. There may not be the fanfare of bigger names but its a piece of history and there are some Thome fans out here.

kellsox
07-15-2011, 08:50 AM
Due to the era players like thome played in, I think it is shortsighted to think that any player did it 100% the right way. Many of the guys that people view as clean may just have been more careful than those who have been revealed. It's a shame for those who may have done it ped- free, but that was the times....

DeacDoug
07-15-2011, 01:02 PM
There were Cleveland rumors in 2005 that Thome used. Perhaps it was sour grapes that Thome, virtually forced by the PA, left for more money in Philly. Personally, I've reached the point where I don't care. The players' numbers are what they are regardless of how they were obtained.

Ripken
07-16-2011, 08:47 AM
Ken Griffey Jr.'s 600th sold for only $42,000 when it was first offered in 2008...pretty amazing when you look at this list of what some others have gone for and it's not even there:

http://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com/fan-who-landed-jeters-3000th-hit-generous-or-crazy/

[/URL][URL="http://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com/fan-who-landed-jeters-3000th-hit-generous-or-crazy/"] (http://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com/fan-who-landed-jeters-3000th-hit-generous-or-crazy/)

ironmanfan
07-16-2011, 12:27 PM
I realize that it may be low, but that's why they call it an "estimate"

I hope he gets the ball as well, as I thought it was neat how Thome and his dad traveled to Cooperstown together to personally deliver his 500th HR ball to the HOF.

frikativ54
07-16-2011, 12:57 PM
Add me to the list of people who don't think that Thome was necessarily PED-free. From what I've heard, perhaps 50-80% of players in the Steroid Era tried them at least once or were regular users. Obviously, I have no proof, but that was the era in which he played. I agree that just because a guy hasn't been caught doesn't mean that he didn't use.

About the price of the ball, $4000 seems incredibly low. But I'm of the opinion that 600 doesn't mean what it used to. Especially for Thome, someone who spent the last several years of his career as a DH. I've heard he's a great guy and all, but I think he's proof that home runs don't mean what they used to. He was never the kind of guy I pointed to and proclaimed to be the best of his generation.

BostonSportsFan
07-17-2011, 09:06 AM
While we can never know for certain, I think it is completely irresponsible and disgraceful that we are simply throwing this whole steroid thing out there for a guy that I have never, ever heard even mentioned as a steroid guy. Search the internet and other than maybe chat rooms where 15 year old kids just throw pointless banter around, no responsible journalist has ever brought his name up.

I know it is the world we live in where everyone is jadded on some level but I think it is pretty sad when anyone and everyone's name is just thrown out there for no better reason than simple speculation.

I think if you really wanted to you could speculate that every single player that played in the past 20 years had used steroids. If you try to use statistics to back up your claim, on some level you could probably make that argument. Absent of any real proof, that claim should not be made.

Joe

jake33
07-17-2011, 09:13 AM
Right now, i am saying that I will pay $4,001 for it. So right off the bat they are wrong on the value. And I do not even remotely like Thome.

CampWest
07-17-2011, 03:46 PM
A couple innings ago a guy caught HR #596 and handed it to his ~10 year old son. I'd think he could easily get several hundred for that ball... instead I fear this kid will probably be playing catch with it tonight and lose it down a street sewer.

sox83cubs84
07-17-2011, 07:10 PM
A couple innings ago a guy caught HR #596 and handed it to his ~10 year old son. I'd think he could easily get several hundred for that ball... instead I fear this kid will probably be playing catch with it tonight and lose it down a street sewer.

Maybe, for some reason, Thome had that one retrieved, too.

Dave Miedema

gnishiyama
07-20-2011, 03:11 PM
Five reasons Jim Thome’s run to 600 homers isn’t getting buzz (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/Five-reasons-Jim-Thome-s-run-to-600-homers-isn-t?urn=mlb-wp13206)

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/Five-reasons-Jim-Thome-8217-s-run-to-600-homers;_ylt=AkRc9LUTN1wYdxB58iR7UkoRvLYF?urn=mlb-wp13206

onlyalbert
07-20-2011, 10:12 PM
I don't agree:

I would say $50K at least..

http://www.twincities.com/twins/ci_18472539?nclick_check=1
Charley Walters: MLB prepares for Jim Thome's milestone HR

Pioneer Press

Updated: 07/13/2011 11:43:45 PM CDT

Only seven players in major league history have hit 600 home runs. The Twins' Jim Thome has 595 career homers.
Major League Baseball is getting ready for Thome's 600th.
After Thome hits homer No. 598, MLB will begin supplying opposing pitchers with specially marked baseballs to ensure the authenticity of No. 600. Pitchers will be given the marked balls every time Thome comes to bat.
A No. 600 home run ball by Thome would be valued at about $4,000 on the sports memorabilia market.

So after 598 they will "mark the balls to ensure the authenticity of no 600".............why don't they mark them after #599? Can he really hit a "two homer" homerun?