PDA

View Full Version : is the fan who caught Jeter's 3000 hit getting too much attention

mbenga28
07-15-2011, 10:32 AM
other fans have caught milestone balls, but is this the first where he gets his own autographed ball marketed for sale?

http://www.steinersports.com/christian-lopez-autographed-i-caught-dj3k-dj3k-logo-baseball.html#

d2ray13
07-15-2011, 10:48 AM
hahaha, wow....

this could be steiner's/yankees way of giving him some cash because of the IRS going after him? only plausible factor i can think of....either way, still ridiculous...

NEFAN
07-15-2011, 11:58 AM
He'll probably get his own reality TV show!!

EurekaDave
07-15-2011, 12:14 PM
Too much attention? You bet. Why? Because New York is the media capitol of the free world-- for better or worse. That's why the prices for Yankee stuff are so out of whack.

I heard Joe Torre say that when he was fired as Yankees manager, helicopters buzzed over his house. Reporters tracked down his sister, a nun, for comment. That's New York!!!!!

Dave Silverbrand
Always buying new arteries and more hair.

GoTigers
07-15-2011, 12:20 PM
I read he's also going to have his own topps baseball card, and that Steiner has said he'll get at least $50k from the sales of him/jeter memorabilia. I really don't know why Jeter didn't just give him $250k which it appraised for. The guy has $100k in student loans and is getting hit up from the IRS. It seems like the Yanks and Stiener are having to bend over backward for this guy, and jeter just gets his ball and all the profits without having to give back.

mbenga28
07-15-2011, 12:45 PM
I read he's also going to have his own topps baseball card, and that Steiner has said he'll get at least $50k from the sales of him/jeter memorabilia. I really don't know why Jeter didn't just give him $250k which it appraised for. The guy has $100k in student loans and is getting hit up from the IRS. It seems like the Yanks and Stiener are having to bend over backward for this guy, and jeter just gets his ball and all the profits without having to give back.

maybe because that would have been too quiet a route to go, by continuing to hype this guy up in the news it keeps the 3,000k hit still fresh in people's minds and lure them to buy more memorabilia items.

kprst6
07-15-2011, 01:06 PM
Who would buy a signed baseball by the fan that caught Jeter's ball??? If someone came over my house and saw it on display, I'm sure they would think I was insane and laugh at me for buying it.

What's next? A set of signed baseballs by everyone sitting in that section/row of the stadium? Maybe they'll auction off the nacho tray, beer cup, and used napkin from the fan that caught the ball. At some point, companies like Steiner should be ashamed to try and milk every last penny out of something.

mbenga28
07-15-2011, 01:09 PM
Who would buy a signed baseball by the fan that caught Jeter's ball??? If someone came over my house and saw it on display, I'm sure they would think I was insane and laugh at me for buying it.

What's next? A set of signed baseballs by everyone sitting in that section/row of the stadium? Maybe they'll auction off the nacho tray, beer cup, and used napkin from the fan that caught the ball. At some point, companies like Steiner should be ashamed to try and milk every last penny out of something.

how about signed balls from the all announcers from that game with the inscription "I called JD3K"

is this autographed ball even MLB Authenticated lol.

gnishiyama
07-15-2011, 01:56 PM
I was at the game, and my friends and I all thought he was naive
for giving the ball back. Admittedly I was a bit angry because
being in the business, I knew how much $$$ Yankees and Jeter is
making from all the licensing and merchandising from the milestone,
while this kid with all his college loans and his normal job gets nothing
more than his 15 min of fame and some gifts. ( I actually thought it was pretty generous of the Yankees since he didn't ask for anything)
I thought if the Yankees and/or Jeter wanted it so bad, put an offer
in like everyone else.

However what Christian did was admirable and he deserves all the attention
and the the good things happening to him, especially since he never asked
for it to begin with.

I call it good karma.

Goh Nishiyama

kudu
07-15-2011, 02:51 PM
how about signed balls from the all announcers from that game with the inscription "I called JD3K"

is this autographed ball even MLB Authenticated lol.

Don't give Steiner any ideas. Looks like they are cashing in on David Price:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/David-Price-signs-deal-to-autograph-Derek-Jeter-?urn=mlb-wp12786

:rolleyes:

kprst6
07-15-2011, 02:57 PM
Don't give Steiner any ideas. Looks like they are cashing in on David Price:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/David-Price-signs-deal-to-autograph-Derek-Jeter-?urn=mlb-wp12786

:rolleyes:

Ridiculous.

metsbats
07-24-2011, 08:54 AM
And to "Topp" it all off...

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/yankees/topps_hit_create_trading_card_for_SopXNoYaFSlmQCzQ 27RySI

Swoboda4
07-24-2011, 09:34 AM
He's not getting too much attention. Here's why. He didn't get paid what the ball was worth.

The more he's in the news the more Jeter gets embarrassed. He wants him to go away. Now if the world of baseball didn't charge you for everything($45 to park,$13 a beer,$100 for grains of sand from the 3,000 hit day-Steiner-etc)then giving the ball is a nice thing.

This is what I would say if I had caught the ball and security wisked me away to a press conferenced suite and put the screws to me to give Derek the ball:,.." "Wow,this is unbelievable. First congratulations to Derek. In 1961,Roger Maris hit his 61st home run and someone named Sal Durante who caught the home run,attempted to give the ball back to Roger. That was not an easy year for Roger but he told Sal,"Keep the ball kid,maybe you can get something for it." So Im hoping ,and Im asking Derek,Derek-can I keep the ball?".

But then again,Jeter is a client of Steiners and old world sensiblities are not expected,unless your a paying fan forced to genuflect. Imagine Babe Ruth asking for one of his home runs back from a kid in the stands who has debts from education?

cjclong
07-24-2011, 11:46 AM
Regardless of baseball economics it was a nice thing to do. It is the fan's decision what to do with the ball and I have a problem with people who criticize him because he didn't try to get a ton of money. Its none of their business. What I do object to is the IRS trying to say a ball is worth hundreds of thousands of dollars until it is actually marketed. As far as I am concerned a home run baseball is just a used baseball that is less than the value of the ball when it was new before it was hit. If the ball is marketed and someone buys it for a million dollars then a vaule is established for tax purposes, but not before then.

Doodles
07-24-2011, 12:17 PM
How can Price be allowed to cash in on giving up a HR? You are setting up a precendent where the integrity of the game can be questioned. Will someone on the mound facing A-Rod, ready to break Bonds' record, decide to lay one over to make some money? Selig should void Price's deal immediately.

Swoboda4
07-25-2011, 07:32 AM
So the "kid' has to pay taxes on all his valuable gifts in exchange for the understood valuable ball. So,that means the same tax man will visit Derek for the ball he received as a gift.

Doodles
07-25-2011, 08:42 AM
Mr. Swoboda4

I am new to the forum...I see you share my love of the Met warmup jackets with names...what is the best way to trade thoughts with you on those? I actually own one that you asked about awhile back:

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=28343&page=3&highlight=mets+jacket

Doodles
07-25-2011, 08:50 AM
So the "kid' has to pay taxes on all his valuable gifts in exchange for the understood valuable ball. So,that means the same tax man will visit Derek for the ball he received as a gift.

Actually, isn't gift tax paid by the person who GIVES the gift? The kid gets screwed again!

Here is what should happen IMO:

Jeter pays $100K...the NY Yankess pay $50K...Ford pays $50K...Steiner pays $25K...Modells pays $25K. That's $250K for the kid, Derek owns the ball. The kid pays tax on it, but that's life...he'll pocket a good amount of money and can continue his endorsement deals.