Clear All
  • Ripken
    • Aug 2006

Jeter foul ball from 3000 hit AB to be auctioned

Any guesses on final bid?

• CollectGU
    • Nov 2005

Re: Jeter foul ball from 3000 hit AB to be auctioned

I think that MEARS is trying to "hard sell" the significance of the ball via their article in an effort to capitalize on the current hysteria of the moment ( trying to strike while the iron is still hot). It really doesn't signify anything expect a foul ball hit by Jeter on the day he hit his 3,000 hit. MEARS calls it "one of the most historic modern yankee balls ever offered", I'm not buying it...I think iot's worth 3-5k tops, I would bet it goes higher given the current hysteria and actually depeciates in value from it's selling price over the years..

Dave

Comment

• ncbadges
      • May 2010

How much is a handful of grass that was in the outfield the day Jeter hit his 3000th? Or a bottle of air that Jeter may possibly have breathed as he was hitting it? I'm all about the moment, but GOOD LORD, they are RAPING the moment.

Its a shame that "the moment" is being shadowed by "the dollar".

ncb
      ------------------------------------------------
      Josh Hamilton gamers WANTED

NCBADGES@embarqmail.com

ACTS 4:10

Comment

• mbenga28
        • Nov 2008

Originally posted by ncbadges
        I'm all about the moment, but GOOD LORD, they are RAPING the moment.

Its a shame that "the moment" is being shadowed by "the dollar".

ncb
        you don't say?

Comment

• frikativ54
          • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Ripken
          I would guess $7,000. People are truly caught up in the hysteria. It's not even the actual ball, but it's as close as many will get to owning a "piece of history."
          Les Zukor
          bagwellgameused@gmail.com
          Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
          (617) 682-0408

Comment

• momen55
            • Aug 2006

it is just a ball. it means nothing. it was used in the game, ok. but give me a break people!

Comment

• sox83cubs84
              Banned
              • Apr 2009

It reminds me, to a degree, of a similar over-hype for a ball on Waveland Avenue in 1999. It wasn't a regular ballhawk, but one of the many hangers-on that come and go on the street corner. After Mark McGwire broke the single-season homer record in '98 this guy offers me a "historic item" that he chased down the first time the Cardinals visited Wrigley Field in '98. It was a Mark McGwire home run ball. Now, knowing that Ken Vangeloff grabbed the only McGwire street home run in a game at Wrigley that year, I asked him how he got that home run ball (Ken is steadfast about not selling or trading his game home runs). As it turns out, as I figured, it was a BP home run...BUT...it was "valuable" because it was the first BP home run he hit on the street in 1998, according to the owner. I shook my head, said no thanks, and walked away.

Dave Miedema

Comment

• cjw
                • Oct 2006

Dont care if people want to bid on this ball or not (I would't bid) but this quote in the story make Mears look silly, if it's true:

"MEARS examined the ball under a black light and discovered the covert three-digit number applied to discourage possible counterfeiting during milestone achievements."

Almost all MLB game balls are quality stamped at the factory when made, and the digits visible under the backlight in both the photo of the Jeter foul ball from the article and the balls shown at the end of this blog post here (from Citi Field game this week) are nothing more than quality control stamps.

It feels wrong to call this a Watch With Zack game, but technically it was. My “client” for the day was an old college friend named John. He lives in Florida. We hadn’t seen each …
                WANTED -1977 Toronto Blue Jays game jersey

chris@pacmedia.ca

Comment

• Dach0sen0ne
                  • Jul 2010

I would think these would get the real $$$$.

Comment

• ncbadges
                    • May 2010

I wonder if the 3000th was one of those?

ncb
                    ------------------------------------------------
                    Josh Hamilton gamers WANTED

NCBADGES@embarqmail.com

ACTS 4:10

Comment

• gnishiyama
                      • Aug 2006

I would think these would get the real $$$$.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVvhboh5lik
                      The ball being auctioned by MEARS WAS specially marked by MLB prior to
                      being used.

I do know after personally speaking with an MLB that they do have
                      some sort of special marking on the ball that only they can tell
                      if a ball is the actual record ball.

Long story short, I bought one of these specially marked ball fouled
                      off by Ichiro back in 2004 when he was chasing the hit record, on Ebay.
                      All it had was the S- and a number (can't remember off hand)

I sent it off to MLB and they were able to authenticate to the exact
                      date and inning it was used. It matched the letter of provenance the
                      seller gave to me with the ball. It took about 3 months to get the ball
                      back but it came back MLB authenticated with a hologram and letter.
                      However when I asked how they knew, they told me they couldn't
                      disclose. I guess that's the whole point.

Goh Nishiyama

PS I have attached a picture of a Jeter ball from his chase of
                      the Yankees hit record. Its stated as "game-used" since it was
                      in the umpires ball bag. If you check down the numbers, the
                      later ones are just listed as game-ready. The term "used" is
                      used loosely, similar to a pitcher who didn't pitch's jersey,
                      but at least the it's described.
                      Attached Files
                      Goh Nishiyama

Always buying Japanese Game Used Memorablia

gnishiyama@gmail.com

Comment

• yankees24
                        • Aug 2008

does anyone here have any of the other 48 marked baseballs? although unused do they hold any significance or value?

Comment

• yankees24
                          • Aug 2008

there was a discussion on another forum that game used members might want to be aware of if this shows up at an auction in the future. it's one of the specially marked baseballs that was authenticated by MLB as being a game ready baseball that the owner added a black bat mark to give it an appearance as being game used. it's really sad to see a nice piece of memorabilia destroyed like this, even sadder that this wonderful moment for Jeter and baseball gets tainted by money.

Comment

• salmon
                            • Oct 2010

Originally posted by yankees24
                            there was a discussion on another forum that game used members might want to be aware of if this shows up at an auction in the future. it's one of the specially marked baseballs that was authenticated by MLB as being a game ready baseball that the owner added a black bat mark to give it an appearance as being game used. it's really sad to see a nice piece of memorabilia destroyed like this, even sadder that this wonderful moment for Jeter and baseball gets tainted by money.

In David Price's post game interview he said he saw J3 marking on one of the baseballs. I don't know if I would take his word for it though because he said the homerun baseball was J1 and that was the foul ball auctioned.

This was one of the most highly secured and scrutinized moments in baseball history and it his highly doubtful MLB Authenticated would have incorrectly documented the description of the specially marked baseballs.

J7 is the homerun baseball

[IMG]http://images.search.yahoo.com/r/_ylt=A0PDoTFYRz1PZyoA50KjzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTBtdXFkOWt hBHNlYwNmcC1hdHRyaWIEc2xrA2ZpbWc-/SIG=16nnuhaae/EXP=1329444824/**http%3a//l.yimg.com/iu/api/res/1.2/YPllT2HqTyiSJuKxOOihvA--/YXBwaWQ9eXZpZGVvO2NyPTA7ZHg9MDtkeT0wO2ZpPXVsY3JvcA--/http%3a//d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/ac/42/fullj.661ac923bde86db1948e8a5bb33ba6b1/87923730.jpg[/IMG]

Those who keep track of this, there was someone who commented on another online article that they are in possession of the other foul ball given to a small girl by the Yankees ball boy.

"My daughter is the “young girl” given the foul ball hit by Jeter the pitch before he went over for #3000. As a huge Yankees (and Jeter) fan, July 9, 2011 was a magical day for myself and my family. Not only was it the first time we attended a Yankees game (my daughters’ first MLB game), but we ended up witnessing Derek Jeter make baseball history. To top it off, my eight year old walked out of Yankee Stadium with a piece of that history in her hand. In short, this “J2″ ball is priceless, and will retain a place of honor in our family for generations to come. This ball represents one of the best days of our lives, and will stay off of the auction block."

Comment

• joelsabi
                              • Aug 2005

In the database the last marked ball is J49 and there are 46 baseballs authenticated.

So maybe the J3 was used afterall as three balls out of four baseballs are accounted for. J3 is the only one list in the MLB database and was fouled to the backstop. The pitcher seems to corroborate the story in his interview and J1 kinda looks like J7.

Maybe the umpire was superstitious and select J3 (jeter number) and lucky 7.

Scenario

fouled back (J3) 2-1 count
                              fouled to right side on 3-2 count (J1) Sold by Mears
                              hit foul to left side batboy given to kid (J2)
                              homerun (J7)

Unless there is a J50 baseball but someone reported there were only 48 baseballs.
                              Regards,
                              Joel S.
                              joelsabi @ gmail.com
                              Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Comment

Working...