PDA

View Full Version : Grey Flannel Basketball HOF Auction

Campbell0021
07-21-2011, 12:44 PM
Anybody have any items they are looking at?

Tallyman77
07-21-2011, 08:59 PM
Personally, I am just going to sit back and watch the bidding in this auction.....we ARE talking about Grey Flannel you know and we may see some very awesome results, even record breaking for that matter. The May auction was something spectacular to say the least. :)

-Walt

Tallyman77

Campbell0021
07-21-2011, 10:20 PM
The May was something to say the least. I managed to but the Rudy Gay, Noah, Juwan Howard, and G. Wallace. I have my eye on a few items, but not the high end ones. i.e. Micheal Jordan rookie uniform

Doodles
07-28-2011, 01:23 PM
How careful is Grey Flannel on authenticity? Here is a "1986 Keith Hernandez jersey they auctioned last December"

Here is an authentic 1986 road

The two are quite different.

Mulligans
07-28-2011, 04:20 PM
Just Curious....What makes them so different? I noticed that the collar looks a little different, but tough to see if there is a real difference by the photo.

Doodles
07-28-2011, 08:40 PM
Just Curious....What makes them so different? I noticed that the collar looks a little different, but tough to see if there is a real difference by the photo.

Well, the Mets script just doesn't look the same...the M looks thicker on the Grey Flannel...also look at the space between the t and the s...on the Grey flannel it makes a v-shape and on the Keith photo, it makes much more of a a u-shape. The placement of the 17 is very different...of course Keith could have had more than one jersey that year, but it is just so different. On the Grey Flannel, half of the 7 is past the s...on the Keith, it is almost all under the s.

The nameplate color looks off and the patch on the Grey Flannel doesn't seem like the authentic patch either...very poor quality and no TH after the 25.

both-teams-played-hard
07-28-2011, 10:38 PM
Well, the Mets script just doesn't look the same...the M looks thicker on the Grey Flannel...also look at the space between the t and the s...on the Grey flannel it makes a v-shape and on the Keith photo, it makes much more of a a u-shape. The placement of the 17 is very different...of course Keith could have had more than one jersey that year, but it is just so different. On the Grey Flannel, half of the 7 is past the s...on the Keith, it is almost all under the s.

The nameplate color looks off and the patch on the Grey Flannel doesn't seem like the authentic patch either...very poor quality and no TH after the 25.
You may be right. But saying a jersey worn on some unknown kid's show that nobody's ever watched is a gamer, is difficult to believe. But, I just don't know.

earlywynnfan
07-28-2011, 10:50 PM
You may be right. But saying a jersey worn on some unknown kid's show that nobody's ever watched is a gamer, is difficult to believe. But, I just don't know.

I agree with your point, but "unknown kids show"? Sesame Street?? Who doesn't know about Sesame Street?

Ken
earlywynnfan5@hotmail.com

Doodles
07-28-2011, 11:29 PM

You are smart to be skeptical, but you seem to be more skeptical of me than the other guys. I really wouldn't waste my time doing these posts if I wasn't pretty knowledgeable about Met uniforms. I guess I need to show a picture from a game...though I seriously doubt Keith and Mookie (who also appeared in that video) would be wearing replica full road jerseys on Sesame Street.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_T3h9JocqLk

I found this one...he has the 86 sleeve patch...numbers are thinner than the auctioned jersey, further apart and more to the left...more like the Sesame Street jersey.

Lokee
07-29-2011, 12:49 AM
Just because something is listed on GF doesn't mean it is 100% authentic. I have seen too many people spend boat loads of money on NON authentic items from GF and other sports auction sites it makes me sick. Especially when these auction sites are made aware of the issues. If you turn up the heat most of the time they will remove the item in question but sometimes they could care less.

You gotta do your homework as usual. If something looks off stay away. Do not waste your money.

Also be VERY Leary of auction sites that do not take credit cards as payment. Because if you do buy that item and it turns out to be a forgery you pretty much are dead in the water.

Doodles
07-29-2011, 07:43 AM
Just because something is listed on GF doesn't mean it is 100% authentic. I have seen too many people spend boat loads of money on NON authentic items from GF and other sports auction sites it makes me sick. Especially when these auction sites are made aware of the issues. If you turn up the heat most of the time they will remove the item in question but sometimes they could care less.

You gotta do your homework as usual. If something looks off stay away. Do not waste your money.

Also be VERY Leary of auction sites that do not take credit cards as payment. Because if you do buy that item and it turns out to be a forgery you pretty much are dead in the water.

Thanks...at least if that jersey even goes back on the market, someone can maybe find this thread and decide for themselves...maybe the person who bought it can use the info too.