PDA

View Full Version : Where do you guys get your GU items?

hohlernr1
07-22-2011, 03:02 PM
I'm pretty new to the GU hobby and I just want to know where you guys typically find your items at?

I'm continually amazed at some of the items you guys come up with on the "show off" threads and would eventually like to find some of the same quality items for my collection. I assume some of the items come from ebay and other collectors on this site, but I'm sure there are other places to find items.

Just looking for some insight / help! Thanks!

yankees506
07-22-2011, 03:14 PM
Ebay is a minefield so you gotta do your homework. But that's where i get a vast majority of my items also John Taube's site gameusedbats.com is great so is Tim at hofbats.com. There are a few other sites as well as the "items wanted" section on this site. Happy collecting and welcome!

coxfan
07-22-2011, 03:49 PM
I've bought mine almost entirely from the Rangers at their stadium, or from the Braves. I've never been comfortable buying from other sources. The Rangers have nearly everything MLB-authenticated.

frikativ54
07-22-2011, 04:20 PM
I've bought mine almost entirely from the Rangers at their stadium, or from the Braves. I've never been comfortable buying from other sources. The Rangers have nearly everything MLB-authenticated.

I would second buying game used items from teams. I have found some stuff through the Astros and Tigers, as well as the Rangers and Mariners. I feel much more confident when I buy stuff from sourecs people can trust. That's why I feel satisfied when I buy stuff from MLB.com Autions. I've also bought a bit from Steiner.

CampWest
07-22-2011, 04:29 PM
If your team holds an annual Fan Fest or any "garage sale" type events those are excellent sources. Keep an eye on their website throughout the year and you will usually find a few opportunities.

Unfortunately for me, the Royals are not allowed to have a Fan Fest in 2012. MLB won't let them because KC is hosting the ASG in 2012 and MLB feels that a Fan Fest in January will dilute the market and reduce demand for people to go to ASG Fan Fest in July. sheesh. I blame Selig.

Nonetheless, team events are usually a good place to look.

OaklandAsFan
07-22-2011, 04:40 PM
hmmmm the Dbacks did a fanfest before this season, wonder what prompted that change.

I can't wait until next year when all the people who said that the ASG shouldn't be in Phoenix because of the heat get a nice dose of midwest humidity in the month of July. I'll take the 115 of Phoenix (in reality it never topped 105 all ASG weekend) any day over the humidity of the midwest.

d2ray13
07-22-2011, 04:49 PM
If I tell you, I'd have to kill you... LOL!!! (just kidding mods-don't ban me!!:p)

The bay is always iffy, as mentioned, def do your homework. Fortunately I've had some great connections thru family friends of agents/players.

JT at gameusedbats.com is great, members here on the forum are amazing, Mario Monteleone of MVP Marketing Management as well as his brother Matt Monteleone of Icon Sports have helped me build quite a collection.

Steiner is always great, as long as you're willing to sell an arm or leg!

schillingfan
07-22-2011, 05:33 PM
eBay and auction houses for me.

mad87man
07-22-2011, 07:27 PM
99% of my stuff came from JO Sports co. I would HIGHLY recommend them to anyone looking for jerseys. I know most people know about them and their reputation but they deserve all the praise they get. Great staff, great product and never have problems.

hohlernr1
07-22-2011, 07:34 PM
99% of my stuff came from JO Sports co. I would HIGHLY recommend them to anyone looking for jerseys. I know most people know about them and their reputation but they deserve all the praise they get. Great staff, great product and never have problems.

Yah, someone from there already contacted me and offered a great price on a Browns jersey. Wasn't in my budget, but they seemed very nice and willing to sell at great prices. Proceeded to look at their site and was absolutely amazed at the quantity and quality of their items. Can guarantee that I will be making purchases from them very soon and probably too often!

Also, was wondering what you guys thought of auction houses? What are the better ones to look at and can you get some good prices?

michaelpbell
07-23-2011, 07:14 PM
Where do you get the Braves items????

freddiefreeman5
07-23-2011, 08:30 PM
Where do you get the Braves items????
Email Lisa at lisa.wessinger@braves.com and she will send you item notifications from the Braves.

coxfan
07-24-2011, 10:02 AM
I think most Braves' collectors order through Lisa. But I was at the Braves' Clubhouse Store at the CNN Center on a recent trip to Atlanta. They had a number of jerseys out on racks, starting at $240. They had two g-u bases from the opening and closing games of Cox's last year, I understood, at $1000 and $1250, I think. Since the bases were mounted up high at the back and I didn't want to pay that, I didn't pursue the specifics with the clerks.

And they had 2011 dugout lineup cards in frames, signed by Cox, for $250 each. I've paid only $50 for those (also signed by Cox but with no frame), in the past. So again, I wasn't interested. But the Clubhouse Store has occasional g-u items on an unpredictable basis.

godwulf
07-24-2011, 12:08 PM
As my budget for GU has gotten tighter lately, I've found myself buying fewer things from dealers, whether on- or off-eBay, many of whom often seem to have unrealistic ideas about pricing, anyway. (One would think that after somebody had relisted a bat for the same $250-$300 price, time after time over the course of six months, that they would get the hint.)

I'm buying only the occasional item of the established, Major League players whom I follow, and focusing more on prospects...right down to the single-A level. As a team collector, primarily, this works for me, and I have picked up tons of bats lately at very modest prices, from "team sources", as they euphemistically say. That player whose bat you paid a clubhouse guy twenty bucks for, or that you may have even gotten for free at the game, may only be in double-A this season, but who knows where he'll be playing a year from now?