PDA

View Full Version : Help with USN (US Navy) Catcher's Mask???

camarokids
07-25-2011, 12:01 AM
Hi All,

What can you all tell me about this mask? Is it really a US Navy item? What time period are we talking ? What is the value?

xpress34
07-25-2011, 08:53 AM
David -

During WWII and the Korean War, many manufacturers made baseball and softball equipment for the Armed Forces.

That equipment includes Catcher's Gear, Bats and Gloves. I have never seen an Armed Forces (USN, USMC or US Army) stamped ball though. Also, I have never seen pieces stamped USAF (the Air Force came into being in 1947 - 2 years after WWII and was still in its 'infancy' during Korea).

That said, I have also never seen pieces attributed to the Vietnam era or later.

So YES, the USN does stand for United States Navy, and the time frame would be between 1941 and 1953.

Based on the style, I would place it in the early 50's during the Korean War.

Just my .02

- Smitty

xpress34
07-25-2011, 08:56 AM
P.S. - I forgot to mention value...

Masks of this style (which is actually more of a softball style) usually don't command big money... maybe $30 - $50 tops.

The USN stamping though does add value for some collectors and could push it to the $45 - $70 range.

Again, just my .02

- Smitty

camarokids
07-25-2011, 09:30 AM
P.S. - I forgot to mention value...

Masks of this style (which is actually more of a softball style) usually don't command big money... maybe $30 - $50 tops.

The USN stamping though does add value for some collectors and could push it to the $45 - $70 range.

Again, just my .02

- Smitty

Thank Smitty. The store wants $45 for it. I may go buy it. I think it would be a cool piece.

lakeerie92
07-25-2011, 10:25 AM
I have seen USN stamped balls. They definitely made them.

xpress34
07-25-2011, 10:41 AM
I have seen USN stamped balls. They definitely made them.

Do you know who the manufacturer was?

I know Rawlings made most of the US Army, USMC and USN Gloves I have seen, LVS for bats, McGregor/Goldsmith on catching gear.

My guess would be McGregor/Goldsmith or possibly Wilson for the balls?

Thanks for the info though!

- Smitty

P.S.

Dave -

$45 is a fair price for that mask. Do you know who the manufacturer is? Should be stamped on the leather (like the USN) or a tag on the straps.

camarokids
07-25-2011, 11:34 AM
Dave -

$45 is a fair price for that mask. Do you know who the manufacturer is? Should be stamped on the leather (like the USN) or a tag on the straps.

I will have to check. I did not ask for them to take the mask out of the case......

lakeerie92
07-25-2011, 05:21 PM
Do you know who the manufacturer was?

I know Rawlings made most of the US Army, USMC and USN Gloves I have seen, LVS for bats, McGregor/Goldsmith on catching gear.

My guess would be McGregor/Goldsmith or possibly Wilson for

They were Reach William Harridge OAL baseballs with USN stamps on them.

Here is the discussion on them from another forum:
http://forum.bigleaguebaseballs.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=113