PDA

View Full Version : How long until teams.....

BergerKing22784
07-25-2011, 08:35 AM
So I work graveyard shift at my job and I had a lot of thinking to do and in terms of a business sense I feel like this would be a good idea to do on a teams part and I was just wondering how long until the idea comes to be... It might mean the death of collecting to some people as this idea makes things not rare! So the pureist out there might leave the hobby!

How long until teams make their players wear 162 different jerseys 1 for each game and sell them all? I know obviously their price point would have to come down but I think it would be a great idea!

Whats a jersey cost a team? Maybe $100? I doubt if that but I could be wrong but for the sake of my idea lets say $100 bucks... If they make 162 jerseys for all the starters and make them wear them I feel like it would be very easy to make a list at the start of the season and list game 1,2,3 through 162 have a price listed and have people buy them on the internet or at the game or whatever you just click "buy game 3 Chipper Jones jersey" pay for it and once the game has been played you will get the jersey in the mail a week later.

At a $1,000 price point that Chipper tends to sell for roughly at mlbs auctions website the amount of buyers might be limited to a few but if they started listing them at like $400 I am sure they'd have no trouble selling all 162 jerseys at very little cost to the team also. That gives you $300 bucks profit on that jersey. Well take out the hour worth of labor you would have to pay some guy to ship the jersey thats still $280 bucks profit x 162...

Obviously you have players that would sell for more and some who sell for less but I feel like with a little trial and error you would be able to find a good price point for every player that would turn your team a profit.

While in the grand scheme of things it might not be a lot of money but it still is profit and I think it would do a lot for PR and to make more fans happy and go to more games meaning more money.

I know it would make a lot of the big time collectors mad but if we have learned anything we are in the minority of things and making a select few mad while making the masses happy to me it seems like a good idea.

I'd love to own a Pujols game used jersey i dont care if there were a million of them out there... At their current going rate I will never own one but say you have 162 floating out into the market every year it would make it easier to get these items...

Just an idea...

OaklandAsFan
07-25-2011, 12:50 PM
the $1000 price point would never hold for anyone with 162 jerseys a year out there floating around and what happens if say the entire 162 jerseys are pre-sold in April but the player has a milestone happen during that game (say perfect game or 4 HR game or 2000th hit etc etc) and wants that jersey or the HoF wants that jersey. so the person who ordered that jersey is SOL? Thats bad business also, too many variables out there for this to be successful IMHO.

Birdbats
07-25-2011, 01:45 PM
It'll never happen. Simple supply and demand. Personally, I think we've already reached an over-saturation point for 99% of the players today. The Cardinals Authentics store currently has racks of jerseys for sale at prices that are at or slightly higher than what the team pays... and they're just sitting there. (For the record, Cardinals jerseys cost more than most teams because of the detailed embroidery; most teams use logo patches or tackle twill lettering.) It's getting to be like baseball cards in the '80s -- the market is flooded with product relative to the number of people who collect this stuff. Even Pujols jerseys for $1,000 would level off once supply exceeded demand -- and I think that point would come pretty quickly. For some collectors, the whole appeal of owning a Pujols gamer is the rarity. If rarity is out the window, interest levels would fall significantly.