PDA

View Full Version : Great memories....lineup cards...any to share??

tigerdale
07-25-2011, 09:18 AM
I think old lineup cards provide such great memories...a lot of them take me back to my childhood & just some of the classic baseball names..I can always imagine the manager sitting at his desk filling out that days line up. I'd love to see what others are out there..I'll start by posting some..if everyone likes it..I'll try & post a few at least every month or so..the first is a Reds one from 1970..Sparky went on to manage over 4000 games in his career..this was game 18!!

mbrieve
07-25-2011, 10:45 AM
I picked up this lineup card at TigerFest this past January. The game is of great significance to me as it was the day my son was born August 14, 2010. Alex Avila hit a go-ahead homerun to beat the Chicago White Sox. In hindsight, I should have purchased this back when he was born, but I was ecstatic to pick it up after the fact for half the price.

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee92/mbriev16/LineupCard.jpg

Doodles
07-25-2011, 12:38 PM
I have a 1954 Lineup Card, in not so great condition, signed by Casey Stengel...Mantle, Berra, Rizzuto in the lineup. Can try to post a pic if anyone is interested.

rj_lucas
07-25-2011, 12:49 PM
I think old lineup cards provide such great memories...a lot of them take me back to my childhood & just some of the classic baseball names..I can always imagine the manager sitting at his desk filling out that days line up. I'd love to see what others are out there..I'll start by posting some..if everyone likes it..I'll try & post a few at least every month or so..the first is a Reds one from 1970..Sparky went on to manage over 4000 games in his career..this was game 18!!

Not a bad lineup for the new manager, don't you think?

Rick

tigerdale
07-25-2011, 01:33 PM
Rick, Thats a very nice lineup to work with...I agree!! He did well w/ it too.
Doodles, I'd like to see photos of the '54 card..sounds awesome.
Mark, thats a great keepsake for when your son was born..I can only imagine if he grows up loving the tigers what he will think of that!!
Here's a couple more....Dick Williams & the awesome Oakland teams he had & The Mets team Yoki had to work with...

Doodles
07-25-2011, 04:03 PM
Here it is...given to me and my brother by an old-timer in my building where I grew up in Brooklyn...

Doodles
07-25-2011, 04:39 PM
Now I have a mystery on my hands...Turley became a Yankee in 1955. I checked his starts in 1955 and I never saw this lineup. Any ideas? Perhaps this was a spring training game in 1955 and they did not have 1955 cards printed yet.

tigerdale
07-27-2011, 06:43 AM
Very cool old yankee lineup. Its hard to tell when that would be from. I know I have a lot of old ones and you cant go by the printed date on them. Ive had dated cards that were used a few years later. Thats is just a great lineup you have there no matter when it was used!!
Heres a few more recent ones...Biggio in his second year, Torre the Mets manager & Bonds batting leadoff as a rookie...

ironmanfan
07-27-2011, 06:52 AM
Here it is...given to me and my brother by an old-timer in my building where I grew up in Brooklyn...

could be an exhibition game or perhaps used in 1956 or later (managers would use old cards occasionally). I have a Toronto Blue Jays lineup card from 1982 dated on top 1980........

Doodles
07-27-2011, 12:06 PM
It says 1954 on the top...Turley came over in 1955...I checked on Retrosheet, and this lineup never appeared in a regular season game in 1955. Therefore, it must be a spring training game in 1955. That would also explain the top saying 1954 and not 1955. Kind of disappointing, as I have thought for 30 years this was a regular season game. Never bothered to investigate before...never had these tools back in the day to do so. Rizzuto was winding down in 1955 and rarely batted leadoff.

Anybody have a clue where to find spring training lineups from 1955? Sounds like an impossibility.

ironmanfan
07-27-2011, 12:55 PM
It says 1954 on the top...Turley came over in 1955...I checked on Retrosheet, and this lineup never appeared in a regular season game in 1955. Therefore, it must be a spring training game in 1955. That would also explain the top saying 1954 and not 1955. Kind of disappointing, as I have thought for 30 years this was a regular season game. Never bothered to investigate before...never had these tools back in the day to do so. Rizzuto was winding down in 1955 and rarely batted leadoff.

Anybody have a clue where to find spring training lineups from 1955? Sounds like an impossibility.

I think you missed what was being said.....This lineup card could have been used in 1956 as well (Rizzuto's last year)....Check Retrosheet...

To answer your Spring Training question, I don't you'll ever find lineups without doing extensive research at a NY Library (microfilm perhaps).

Doodles
07-27-2011, 01:46 PM
I think you missed what was being said.....This lineup card could have been used in 1956 as well (Rizzuto's last year)....Check Retrosheet...

To answer your Spring Training question, I don't you'll ever find lineups without doing extensive research at a NY Library (microfilm perhaps).

Thanks for the advice...I already had checked 1956...by then Noren and Rizzuto barely even played...Rizzuto's last game was in August of 56...the card must be from Spring Training 55.

One funy part of it is since Carey is in the lineup, that is very close to Casey...and Stengel is signed...so the signature can easily be verified as Casey's.

tigerdale
07-28-2011, 06:13 AM
here's a tiger one w/ the card dated 1979....but it wasn't used until sometime around 1988 or 89.......