PDA

View Full Version : JR Reid sold his Carolina jerseys on ebay

jdr3
07-29-2011, 04:58 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/Authentic-Worn-JR-Reid-UNC-Basketball-Jersey-/140582208295?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20bb5a4327

Did anybody get one?

Dewey2007
07-29-2011, 05:48 PM
I emailed Reid and he said they were both sold. I wonder how long it will take before we see these in an upcoming auction...

bdeol4
07-29-2011, 07:53 PM
I didnt see the listing in time....but I am still looking for a Game Used UNC bball Jersey! :)

briandeol@hotmail.com

both-teams-played-hard
07-29-2011, 08:39 PM
It has been discussed before about players selling their stuff 'cause they need money. I don't think J.R. is broke or has an ex-wife. But, what's 200 bones gonna buy? He had a nice career. By my calculations, he should have at least a couple hundred grand in savings.

freddiefreeman5
07-29-2011, 09:20 PM
I remember JR Reid well.
I especially remember the opossing fans taunts......JR can't read, JR can't read, Jr can't read! :D

jppopma
07-29-2011, 11:14 PM
I'm wondering if it was JR Reid selling it or just a picture of him holding the jersey at some point. The contact us to have JR personalize part, makes me think not.

I notice the cell phone number is a Norfolk, VA area cell and the listing shows San Antonio, TX....plus what ex-NBAer would put his phone number and e-mail address on a listing anyway???

Seeing that the seller pulled the auction early...I'm curious what kind of offer he got to sell it offline.

trsent
07-30-2011, 08:10 PM
They just emailed me. The eBay account is registered to: Patricia Bocanegra. I just don't understand why they started an auction for charity just to end it early and sell off eBay.

I asked how they could run a charity auction and end it early without being sure they were getting the most money for the charity that they could.

I am awaiting a reply to this question.

jdr3
07-31-2011, 10:28 AM
Joel, I'm not looking to argue or push your buttons, but what authority do you have that the seller would feel the need to answer your follow up question? If there was definitive proof it was a bogus jersey questions may be warranted. However, no one has to explain why they sold something, whether it is for charity or not, at the price they chose.

bdeol4
07-31-2011, 12:47 PM
I dont know why JR would not of sold the jersey(s) on his charity website...but none the less this all seems a bit off.

trsent
07-31-2011, 10:05 PM
Joel, I'm not looking to argue or push your buttons, but what authority do you have that the seller would feel the need to answer your follow up question? If there was definitive proof it was a bogus jersey questions may be warranted. However, no one has to explain why they sold something, whether it is for charity or not, at the price they chose.

You may be right but if you are setting up a charity auction I feel you should let the auction run to raise as much money as possible for the charity. Isn't that the goal?

bdeol4
07-31-2011, 10:45 PM
You may be right but if you are setting up a charity auction I feel you should let the auction run to raise as much money as possible for the charity. Isn't that the goal?

Agreed.

jdr3
08-01-2011, 08:45 AM
I agree, Joel. However, your questions come across as if you're interrogating this person rather than suggesting the best course would have been to let the auction run its full duration.

AutographAddiction
08-24-2011, 03:37 PM
I call dibs on this jersey once it is in an Auciton :)
After I do some homework, because I agree, something is kind of sketchy.

Skizzick
08-24-2011, 03:59 PM
I call dibs on this jersey once it is in an Auciton :)
After I do some homework, because I agree, something is kind of sketchy.
Looks like we'll be dueling it out.

AutographAddiction
08-24-2011, 07:29 PM
Nice, friendly competition ;)

AutographAddiction
08-24-2011, 07:31 PM
They just emailed me. The eBay account is registered to: Patricia Bocanegra. I just don't understand why they started an auction for charity just to end it early and sell off eBay.

I asked how they could run a charity auction and end it early without being sure they were getting the most money for the charity that they could.

I am awaiting a reply to this question.

I sent an email to the email address listed in the auction item description. They replied back as if they were JR Reid, not Patricia Bocanegra.

Dewey2007
08-25-2011, 01:00 AM
I got that same feeling that it was JR Reid replying back when I emailed the address in auction listing too.

I sent an email to the email address listed in the auction item description. They replied back as if they were JR Reid, not Patricia Bocanegra.

AutographAddiction
08-26-2011, 03:37 PM
I got that same feeling that it was JR Reid replying back when I emailed the address in auction listing too.

Think it's actually him?

Dewey2007
08-26-2011, 04:00 PM
I think so considering the email address that was used. I was thinking of emailing him and asking if I could send him a SI cover to autograph.

Think it's actually him?

Dewey2007
01-28-2012, 12:54 PM
Looks like the Reid jersey is in the current Grey Flannel auction:

http://catalog.greyflannelauctions.com/LotDetail.aspx?lotid=26990&searchby=0&searchvalue=None&page=0&sortby=0&displayby=2&lotsperpage=50&category=1&seo=Late-1980%e2%80%99s-J.R.-Reid-University-of-North-Carolina-Tar-Heels-Game-Used-%26-Autographed-Home-Jersey-wit

I emailed Reid and he said this was the one he had listed on eBay. I figured it would end up in an auction sooner or later.

legaleagle92481
01-29-2012, 10:07 PM
This is very fishy. first as Joel said this is for charity, why not try to get every last possible dollar? If you got even a knockout offer whos to say it wont be topped in the auction? Second, as someone else said what pro athlete is going to put his email address and phone number on ebay for millions of people to see and then gets into a dialogue with fans? Third, why does the account only have two feedbacks? if you look at what they are for it is very odd one is for women's designer ankle boots and the other is for what looks like something with art. both transactions were over a year ago. fourth, the auction is not a charity auction. ive done charity auctions on ebay and when you do them they designate it as such with a ribbon. fifth, they are selling two jerseys in one listing, the listing does not make clear if you win the blue or the white. why not have two auctions this is for charity after all? this looks like it was set up to get off ebay sales. sixth, who is to say that the jersey reid has in the picture is the jersey in question? anyone could have found that online.

akrover
02-02-2012, 04:41 PM
Looks like the Reid jersey is in the current Grey Flannel auction:

http://catalog.greyflannelauctions.com/LotDetail.aspx?lotid=26990&searchby=0&searchvalue=None&page=0&sortby=0&displayby=2&lotsperpage=50&category=1&seo=Late-1980%e2%80%99s-J.R.-Reid-University-of-North-Carolina-Tar-Heels-Game-Used-%26-Autographed-Home-Jersey-wit

I emailed Reid and he said this was the one he had listed on eBay. I figured it would end up in an auction sooner or later.

To me, that doesn't look like the same jersey as in the ebay listing. At least the picture of the tagging is different (haven't looked at the others that close). The GF has '10" Longer' written on it in pen as well as staining on the the #34 tag. The photos make it tough to tell, but the wilson tag appears to be made of a different material, and the ebay one has the tag fraying below the size "46" that is not present in the picture on GF. There appear to be some other minor differences fwiw.