PDA

View Full Version : Whats is that?

Buster23!
07-29-2011, 07:00 PM
The other day I was at Atlanta Braves game watching batting practice. I saw 3 different bats sitting on the infield that said "Atlanta Braves" where the players name would be. The bat had pine tarr and players were using them. Whats is that? Is there even a name for that kind of bat? Thanks for helping me out guys

OaklandAsFan
07-29-2011, 07:22 PM
Basically a pro stock with the teams name on them. I have several Oakland Athletics bats like that. I usually just get the team to sign them but I do have a max bat that has Oakland Athletics on it that I currently use when I go to the cages (along with my Ben Grieve SamBat)

BrianK
07-29-2011, 07:27 PM
I don't know the answer, but I think I may have an example of what you're talking about. I'm curious too. From about 1970.

Buster23!
07-29-2011, 07:55 PM
Yes, that is what I was talking about. I just dont understand why a team would have those bats when the players have their own bats. It's not like they have to pay for those bats.

tcfor3
07-31-2011, 07:49 PM
The teams used to order these bats for minor leaguers to use at spring training and the regular season.

These bats were ordered in five or six different models so players could try them out and see which one(s) they liked best so they would know which model or models to request when they ran out during the season.

From the bats that I have had, it appears that Louisville switched from putting team names on the bats for minor leaguers, who were not on the 40 man roster, to labelling the bats as PRO STOCK with the model number on the barrel in the mid to late 90's.

Some coaches would also have the team order their fungo bats with the team name on the barrel as well.

I have had some Louisville Sluggers (engraved name as the full team name or just the team nickname, ie BRAVES) and some Cooper bats (painted or decal nickname of team on the barrel) with team names on them from the mid to late 90's.

As one person wrote, they are great for signatures.

cincy13
07-31-2011, 07:57 PM
those were also called "pitchers" bats. The team would order these bats for the pitchers. I once had a Reds bat with Tom Seaver's no. on it.