PDA

View Full Version : Yanks-Steiner 97 patches removed?

Eric
12-06-2005, 12:38 AM
Has anyone else noticed that all of the 1997 Yankees Steiner jerseys in the Grey Flannel auction are without the Jackie Robinson patch?

They show up in none of the photos. Some of the lots mention that they have been removed. Some don't.
See the following lots
1997 #24 NY Yankees Game-Used Home Jersey (Yankees-Steiner LOA)

Lot # 395

Lot of Four New York Yankees Game-Used Road Jerseys (4) (Yankees-Steiner LOA)
Lot # 369

Five New York Yankees Game-Used Jerseys: 1992 #64 Road, 1997 # 22 & #41 Home, 1997 #73 Road & 2001 #13 Road (YSC)
Lot # 372

1997 #17 NY Yankees Game-Used Road Jersey (Yankee-Steiner LOA)
Lot # 391

Lot of Five 1997-99 New York Yankees Game-Issued Jerseys (5) (YSC)
Lot # 392

1997 #45 NY Yankees Game-Used Road Jersey (Yankees-Steiner LOA)
Lot # 393

1997 #25 NY Yankees Game-Used Road Jersey (Yankees-Steiner LOA)
Lot # 394

1997 #24 NY Yankees Game-Used Home Jersey (Yankees-Steiner LOA)
Lot # 395

BULBUS
12-06-2005, 09:46 AM
I won a 1997 jersey (great use) from Steiner's auction. There was no patch nor was there any sign that one was ever on the jersey. I believe that the patches were worn for only part of the season. The jerseys that had the patches removed were used while, and then after they wore the patch. The jerseys that never had the patch were issued and used before or after they wore the patch. Does anyone know the time period in which they wore the patch?

www.huston-street.com
12-06-2005, 12:00 PM
The Yankees wore the Jackie Robinson patches for the whole season.. They did not have a regular season game in which the patch was not worn. These jerseys are either from the 1st Spring Training game or un-worn. The Yankees at different times have re-used jerseys in the following season so they could be 1998 worn as well. The problem is Steiner does not research well enough for definite times a jersey was worn. I saw a Gerald Williams World Series jersey on ebay a few weeks ago..I asked the seller and he said Steiner's LOA said it was a game worn World Series jersey.. the problem is Gerald Williams was not even on the World Series roster, he was left off for Luis Sojo.

Another instance is the one on my web age. I have a 1998 Yankees #17 jersey worn by Dale Sveum and then it was re-used in the 1999 season as the DiMaggio Memorial is on the sleeve. The Steiner LOA states it is a 1999 game worn Dale Sveum jersey..Sveum was released from the Yankees at the end of the 1998 season.. Rickey Ledee wore #17 for the Yankees in 1999 from the opening of Spring Training and throughout the season.

I have seen several others as well. So my point is, regardless of how Steiner lists the jerseys..they are not always what they state. But they also have ALOT of issueds being sold as well. Just keepo that in mind.

Eric
12-06-2005, 01:15 PM
Just adding my two cents

I had purchased a '97 Bernie Williams game used jersey from Steiner when they first started selling stuff from the vaults. When I received it I noticed that the jackie robinson patch had been removed. I emailed the guy from steiner I had been dealing with to tell him that this was never mentioned and his response was "We can't guarantee that this 1997 jersey is from that game when the Yankees wore the patch"

I wrote back to him and mentioned that they wore the patches in every single game that year, and if the patch was missing he really should have mentioned it.

He wrote back telling me I was incorrect and they only wore the patches for one series. Incredulous, I followed that up by telling them they have to get their facts straight if they're going to be dealing with these expensive items.

It was a little shocking, to say the least.
Eric

BULBUS
12-06-2005, 02:22 PM
The Yankees did not wear the patch the entire season. I have a picture of Paul, Tino, and Bernie together from 1997 wearing their home uniforms, no patch. I also have the 1998 Yankees yearbook (1997 photos). In some of the photos, they have the patch, and some they dont. This backs up what I wrote earlier. Steiner may make mistakes on a few jerseys, but I dont think they are wrong on all these 1997's. I'm going to call Steiner to see if they know or can find out the time period that the Yankees wore these patches. I think that it was for more than one series though.

bigtime59
12-06-2005, 04:51 PM
I know the Yankee$ are a universe unto themselves, but why would they have worn a MLB commemorative patch for only part of the year, when every other team who wore the patch (to my knowledge) wore it for the entire year? They didn't do that in 2001, with the AL anniversary patch, so why do it in 1997? It's not like they had an alternate jersey they could be allowed to leave it off of...

www.huston-street.com
12-07-2005, 12:37 AM
Bulbus, do me a favor.. go to www.gettyimages.com (http://www.gettyimages.com) and just do a search on 1997 Yankees.. it brings up 18 pages from different games throughout the season... if you look closely you can clearly see the Jackie Robinson patch on the jersey from 3/30/97 - 10/06/97.. they have pictures for the following games:

3/30, 4/4, 4/5, 4/6, 4/8, 4/11, 4/12, 4/20, 5/10, 5/22, 5/24, 5/28, 6/16, 6/21, 6/29, 7/2, 7/13, 8/26, 9/6, 9/30, 10/2, & 10/6.

Every game has a Jackie Robinson patch being worn... so I believe you do have the photos you state, but it does not mean they are from the 1997 regular season. You can clearly see in the photos from the games I posted above cover from the beginning to the end of the season... not just a particular series.... theres my photo proof.

JimCaravello
12-07-2005, 01:47 PM
I am so glad to see some dialogue on this issue, as I brought this same question up about 90 days ago on the Forum relative to two 1997 jerseys that were in auction this summer that had Steiner letters and MEARS COAs. Both of the Yankees jerseys from 1997 did not have patches and there was no mention that a patch had been removed. I addressed another jersey in my posting from 1986 and Dave Grob immediately responded and MEARS corrected a mistake they made in grading my 1986 Yankees jersey. My questions relative to the two 1997 jerseys were never addressed any further.

I too believe the Yankees wore the patch the entire 1997 season. I am glad to see some of the homework done by huston-street.com. Looking at yearbooks is fine, but just like old baseball cards, the pictures used are not always from the previous regular season......... I think its safe to say, that Steiner needs to do a little more homework on not only what they are selling, but also on how to price items. What is sad to me, is all the game issued and non-worn stuff that is being sold by Steiner that will be docced up and re-sold in the future as game used - with no COA to be found - I would be very careful with anything you buy initially from Steiner and even more careful on buying "game used" Yankees jerseys post 1997 in the secondary market. Let me be clear that I am not knocking Steiner in this posting - just some commentary and suggestions for Steiner and the general market..........

One other thing to mention......prior to Steiner and the Yankees getting together to sell this stuff - every 1997 Yankees jersey I saw on the market had the Jackie patch on it. I also owned a Cone 1997 home jersey that I subsequently sold that had the patch......

Eric
12-07-2005, 01:53 PM
Threads on this subject from the gameusedforum.com archive
http://www.network54.com/Forum/379976/thread/1124798302/
http://www.network54.com/Forum/383222/message/1128109046/CHAD+CURTIS+JERSEY+QUESTION

Eric
12-14-2005, 02:32 PM
Is Yankees Steiner Listening?

Look at the headline for this auction

http://auction.steinersports.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=65229311&prmenbr=55076099&aunbr=65576021

BULBUS
12-14-2005, 04:54 PM
i spoke to steiner about the jr patch. they said that the jorge jersey was the only one that came in with the patch. all the rest had them removed or where never there. what does the X before the year mean? i have never seen that before.

-chris

Eric
12-14-2005, 06:58 PM
I'm just happy they're finally acknowledging that the patch is supposed to be there.

That's a different story from the conversations I had with them months ago.

Eric