PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Authentics Bill Rigby 1971 Minnesota Twins Game Used Flannel Uniform

Mark17
08-06-2011, 04:03 PM
I've never understood how auction houses can misspell a player's name in the title of a lot description. Don't any of their staff proof the listings? But aside from that, shouldn't home Twins flannel gamers have names stitched into the felt collar strip, instead of numbers? I believe every flannel gamer I've seen had the name on it, including my 1971 Marv Grissom Twins road jersey.

http://www.vintagesportsauthentics.com/LotDetail.aspx?lotid=13826

I know it has a Lampson LOA; that makes me even more suspicious.

I'm wondering if it was some sort of generic tagging, for spring training, or even for the minor leagues? Rigney managed the entire 1970 season, winning the division, and managed the entire 1971 season and halfway into 1972. I would think he'd rate having his name in his 1971 jerseys.

sox83cubs84
08-06-2011, 09:25 PM
I've never understood how auction houses can misspell a player's name in the title of a lot description. Don't any of their staff proof the listings? But aside from that, shouldn't home Twins flannel gamers have names stitched into the felt collar strip, instead of numbers? I believe every flannel gamer I've seen had the name on it, including my 1971 Marv Grissom Twins road jersey.

http://www.vintagesportsauthentics.com/LotDetail.aspx?lotid=13826

I know it has a Lampson LOA; that makes me even more suspicious.

I'm wondering if it was some sort of generic tagging, for spring training, or even for the minor leagues? Rigney managed the entire 1970 season, winning the division, and managed the entire 1971 season and halfway into 1972. I would think he'd rate having his name in his 1971 jerseys.

The jersey looks OK to me. Keep in mind, the two 1971 styles are different suppliers (Wilson=home, Spalding=road). Two different suppliers for the same team don't always use the same tagging elements. In the same time frame, home Braves flannels (Wilson) used NICs, while road greys (Spalding) employed a totally numeric strip tag...the opposite of the Twins gamers.

Dave Miedema

Dewey2007
08-06-2011, 11:42 PM
I agree but I guess VA has bigger worries these days...regardless I'd be upset if I had consigned the item.

I've never understood how auction houses can misspell a player's name in the title of a lot description. Don't any of their staff proof the listings?

Mark17
08-07-2011, 05:13 AM
The jersey looks OK to me. Keep in mind, the two 1971 styles are different suppliers (Wilson=home, Spalding=road). Two different suppliers for the same team don't always use the same tagging elements. In the same time frame, home Braves flannels (Wilson) used NICs, while road greys (Spalding) employed a totally numeric strip tag...the opposite of the Twins gamers.

Dave Miedema

Thanks Dave, you were one of the people I was hoping would chime in (the other is Bryan Sylvester... maybe I should email him.) The other Twins home shirts I have all have name in collar and they are Wilson, but the most recent is a 1966 Mincher. Maybe they did something different with the home jerseys in later years.

eagraham35
08-07-2011, 09:45 AM
I agree but I guess VA has bigger worries these days...regardless I'd be upset if I had consigned the item.

Is something going on at Vintage I don't know about? I've consigned there previously and was actually looking at bidding on an item or two with the current auction.

eagraham35
08-07-2011, 11:10 AM
Googled the question and got my own answer. This can't be good for the present auction I wouldn't think. Plus has to mean the end of VA I would think. A reputation is the most valuable thing you can own in this hobby. Theirs has to be shot at this point.

sylbry
08-07-2011, 03:31 PM
Hi Mark,

If a picture is worth a thousand words, here you go.

http://sports.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=7037&lotNo=80082

To add to Dave's comments, 1971 is an interesting year for Twins jerseys. The home is a Wilson, the road is a Spalding, and there is also a set of roads made by Rawlings. I always assumed these were extras made up for spring training as they exhibit some rather unusual numbers but can't say for sure. Here is a photo of a 1971 Rawlings I used to own. There is a 1971 flag tag attached to the wash tag. The jersey has number 79 on the back.

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x16/sylbry/Jerseys/1971flannelfront.jpg

Mark17
08-07-2011, 05:38 PM
Thanks Bryan, that link you posted of the Carew shirt is the definitive answer I was looking for.