PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P. Rick Rypien - Vancouver Canucks

soxfan
08-16-2011, 05:52 PM
Sad news for hockey fans...

Rick Rypien, former Vancouver Canuck and newest Winnipeg Jet (as of June 2) was found dead in his Alberta home on Monday.

He was only 27 years old and initial indications are that it was a suicide. He had battled depression but friends report he was in great spirits as of late.

As a Canucks fan and someone who lives in Vancity, this is yet another sad story to tell....

Jeremy

frikativ54
08-16-2011, 07:21 PM
He was only 27 years old and initial indications are that it was a suicide. He had battled depression but friends report he was in great spirits as of late.

Sadly, if suicide is premeditated, someone can temporarily feel in a better mood about the very fact of dying.

Depression is one of the leading causes of disability, and it's horrible that someone as young as twenty-seven should feel the need to kill himself.

R.I.P.

-Frik

gingi79
08-16-2011, 08:12 PM
As a Canucks fan and someone who lives in Vancity, this is yet another sad story to tell....

Jeremy

I have been a Canucks fan since 1989. Rick was a fun guy to root for. So was Luc Bourdon. And Wayne Maki. Sad to add him to the short list of good players lost too soon.

Depression is so misunderstood. Many people think it is just feeling sad, truth is it is physical agony and hopelessness. Imagine mental pain and wallowing in sadness, believing you will never be happy ever again.

Rest in Peace Ripper.

soxfan
08-17-2011, 04:01 PM
Thanks guys for the responses...I almost feel like Rick was a part of my family, since I have been watching him play and scrap for my Cnucks since I transplanted myself from New Brunswick to Vancity 5 1/2 years ago...

Was at the memorial service today in Vancity and it was great...really shows, despite the idiots who were part of the riots, that we are a caring, loving and appreciative city full of Canucks and NHL fans.

R.I.P. "Ripper"

Jeremy

sox83cubs84
08-17-2011, 05:57 PM
Depression is so misunderstood. Many people think it is just feeling sad, truth is it is physical agony and hopelessness. Imagine mental pain and wallowing in sadness, believing you will never be happy ever again.

Rest in Peace Ripper.

Amen to that. Very few think twice if a person's disability is physical, but a lot of folks will look at you funny and/or avoid you if your disability involves mental and/or emotional difficulties. I was diagnosed with clinical depression 12 years ago, and, to this day, my wife often doesn't grasp what's affecting me to the extremes it does.

Dave Miedema