PDA

View Full Version : 1970 Atlanta Braves flannel on eBay - BEWARE

hiramman
08-18-2011, 05:20 AM
There is a listing on eBay ( item 200639810962 ) that is described as a 1970 Harry Dorish Atlanta Braves Game Used Jersey. The jersey may have been worn by Harry Dorish (doubtful), but it was never worn in a game for the Atlanta Beaves. 1970 Atlanta Braves home pinstripe jerseys were manufactured by Wilson and had player name, year, & set embroidered in the collar and a Wilson tag on the front tail. The Braves and number on back were 1-color navy. This jersey seems to have a front Braves and number from a period Braves road jersey placed on an old pinstripe flannel blank with a period screaming Indian patch on the shoulder. I've never seen any Braves minor league jerseys from 1970 look like that but I'm sure it is not an Atlanta jersey. I'd definitely stay clear of this one.

hiramman
09-05-2011, 01:33 AM
This 1970 flannel is back again and now is being called a 1970 Richmond Braves jersey. I'm still saying this is junk. Until someone can show any photo evidence of any 1970 Braves minor league teams wearing a Spalding manufactured home pinstripe with blue & red name/numbers, I'd stay clear of this fantasy hodge-podge jersey.

hiramman
09-05-2011, 01:46 AM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-RICHMOND-BRAVES-GAME-USED-FLANNEL-BASEBALL-JERSEY-/120765516030?pt=Vintage_Sports_Memorabilia&hash=item1c1e2f88fe

hiramman
09-05-2011, 02:12 AM
Here are some examples of 1971 Richmond Braves jerseys. 1970 Richmond jerseys would look similar if not exactly the same. They look the same as 1968-1971 Atlanta Bracves jerseys.

sox83cubs84
09-05-2011, 06:04 PM
I've seen this seller's listings on eBay for years. You have to do your homework on his items...while I believe he's basically reputable, he, like at least one other good-guy dealer I've cited before, is not an accomplished researcher. If he gets a description from his source, I don't believe he follows up with his own research...he takes the source's word for it.

Dave Miedema

both-teams-played-hard
09-05-2011, 06:58 PM
Hiramman
Super information offered by you. The fact that you have a Richmond Braves photo from the era, is incredible. Now the 25 dollar question: what the hell is this? Not much of a forgery, being that it is not number 44. Has a year tag. If not Atlanta, must be minor league. But who? Lynchburg? Greenville? Salesman samp?

hiramman
09-07-2011, 07:05 PM
I'm not sure what it is. The Spalding tagging, size tag, washtag, year tag and from what I can tell from the photos, the number and Braves name all are correct for a 1970 Spalding Braves road jersey. Just not on a home pinstripe unifrom top. It's definitely something, minor league, Spalding sales sample or something someone put together themselves. I'm not sure and don't really care. What gets me is how sellers can describe something totally incorrect because of a lack of research, then get called out on it and change the description to something else completely wrong again. Someone just spent over $500 for this jersey. Hopefully they know exactly what it is and I just missed out on this rare jewel of a jersey. Unfortunately, I think the winner (who has an ebay rating of 3) is going to get something different than what they expect.