PDA

View Full Version : Jay Johnstone Met Jacket on eBay????

Doodles
08-18-2011, 10:22 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-York-Mets-Jay-Johnstone-Game-Worn-Jacket-/180712044824?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a1346f918

This one is a mystery...parts of this jacket would be near impossible to fake. The 38 on the sleeve looks authentic. The Johnstone Embroidery looks authentic...to fake that Starter Embroidery that accurately would cost a few hundred dollars and would not be worth it in this case. Yet Johnstone never played or coached for the Mets and never wore 38. Don't think the Mets issued these to minor leagues, but they had a John Johnstone in the minors when these jackets were in use who was a big enough guy to fit an XL...any thoughts?

http://www.ultimatemets.com/profile.php?PlayerCode=4613

sox83cubs84
08-19-2011, 12:05 AM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-York-Mets-Jay-Johnstone-Game-Worn-Jacket-/180712044824?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a1346f918

This one is a mystery...parts of this jacket would be near impossible to fake. The 38 on the sleeve looks authentic. The Johnstone Embroidery looks authentic...to fake that Starter Embroidery that accurately would cost a few hundred dollars and would not be worth it in this case. Yet Johnstone never played or coached for the Mets and never wore 38. Don't think the Mets issued these to minor leagues, but they had a John Johnstone in the minors when these jackets were in use who was a big enough guy to fit an XL...any thoughts?

http://www.ultimatemets.com/profile.php?PlayerCode=4613

Maybe a spring training jacket?...Johnstone was in the Mets organization from 1987-92, and this style was used for at least the last couple of years of his time there.

Dave Miedema

Doodles
08-19-2011, 07:29 AM
That's possible...the same seller has a Lee Guetterman that must be legit

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NY-Mets-Vintage-Game-Worn-Used-Jacket-Starter-Size-XL-/110731037507?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19c8158b43

and a Terry Puhl.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NY-Mets-Vintage-Game-Worn-Used-Jacket-Starter-Size-XL-/180711562499?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a133f9d03

The Puhl must be a spring training, as "Puhl was granted free agent status in 1990, and signed with the New York Mets (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_Mets) on December 13, 1990. He was released by the Mets during spring training (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spring_training) on April 1, 1991, and subsequently signed by the Kansas City Royals (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kansas_City_Royals) on April 25, 1991."

Those jackets were nice, with applique numbers and custom enbroidery on the back, likely done by Starter, as the Phillies, Reds and A's also used the same lettering at times, but it only appeared on Starter jackets. This would be expensive today...doubt they would be giving them out in Spring Training...and on multiple jackets as well...the zipper one and windbreakers too.

flaco1801
08-20-2011, 08:54 AM
i have a bob kipper mets jacket like those listed...he never played with them but was with the organization briefly also...

Doodles
08-21-2011, 06:45 PM
i have a bob kipper mets jacket like those listed...he never played with them but was with the organization briefly also...
You may want this photo to go with your jacket

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BOB-KIPPER-NEW-YORK-METS-RARE-SIGNED-8X10-PHOTO-W-COA-/370360188916

flaco1801
08-21-2011, 09:49 PM
thanks doodles...i saw that after i posted...just checked ebay and there it was...thanks again...

Doodles
08-21-2011, 09:58 PM
I guess he was in spring training 1993 and didn't make the team...I remember Strawberry charging him on the mound in 1987 after getting hit.

Swoboda4
08-30-2011, 01:32 PM
Dave,how do we know that Johnstone was with the Mets organization from 87 to 92. And did it have anything to do with George Thorogood being a Met fan and friend of Jay,who had known the Wilpons?

Doodles
08-30-2011, 07:45 PM
Dave,how do we know that Johnstone was with the Mets organization from 87 to 92. And did it have anything to do with George Thorogood being a Met fan and friend of Jay,who had known the Wilpons?

Swoboda,

That was John Johnstone that was in the organization...I don't think Jay ever was.

BTW, we share an affinity for these named Met Jackets. I'd love to see pics of the ones you own. I made it a project to have my name embroidered on a jacket exactly like those jackets...came out pretty good.

Swoboda4
08-31-2011, 02:44 AM
Doodles,there's something about the Mets starter jackets with the last name stitched on the back that I feel is unique,as do you. As you point out they're difficult to forge. They just seem to be extremely attractive with the overkill of identifying what player it belonged to(name and number) that I feel makes it more valuable than a jersey. As I had pointed out in the past,around 1990,I saw the David West jacket in the Mets Clubhouse shop for I think $150. the next day it was sold. Then a couple of years ago I see it eBay,and I just stared at the screen for a while not believing my second chance. That got me back into realizing the value of the jacket ,in general,as opposed to a similar jersey that we agonize on and on if it's real or not. There's really little room for the jackets being fake. If you unstitch the lettering, holes will be evident. If you obtain a store model Starter and try to pass it off,you can tell immediately because the team jackets are heavier.
I have a Viola windbreaker,a Mike Marshall XXL jacket,and Marshall BP short sleeve,I'm forgetting another I have and I just bought the Johnstone,probably to wear since it wasn't game used.
I remember seeing the Langston jacket being for sale in the Queens Mets Clubhouse shop,and If I'm not mistaken high up on the wall was the Seaver jacket going for $500 back then.
What jacket did you mention you have that I was interested in?

sox83cubs84
08-31-2011, 04:17 PM

To clarify: I was referring to John Johnstone, not Jay.

Dave Miedema

Doodles
08-31-2011, 08:08 PM
What jacket did you mention you have that I was interested in?

I don't know what you mean...the only jacket I have is the one with my own name on the back.

Swoboda4
08-31-2011, 11:45 PM
I believe on a previous thread (is the fan who caught jeter's 3,000 getting too much attention) we had responded and you ended one reply by asking me to exchange thoughts on Mets jackets and that you have one that I talked about(in the past thread) I think you then highlighted the Keith Miller jacket thread I started. I didnt see your reply untill now So I'm thinking you either were referring to the Miller or it was some other jacket I was following.

Doodles
09-01-2011, 12:29 AM
I believe on a previous thread (is the fan who caught jeter's 3,000 getting too much attention) we had responded and you ended one reply by asking me to exchange thoughts on Mets jackets and that you have one that I talked about(in the past thread) I think you then highlighted the Keith Miller jacket thread I started. I didnt see your reply untill now So I'm thinking you either were referring to the Miller or it was some other jacket I was following.

Ok...yes, I bought the "Keith Miller"...it was actually a coach Rich Miller. I knew that going in and paid about $100, not the crazy listed price. I needed it to re-create the font for my jacket. I wound up giving that jacket to a friend named MILLER, so I don't have it anymore. Here is the story of my jacket...you said it would be very hard to re-create the embroidery, but I did it pretty well I think.

http://www.uniwatchblog.com/2010/12/14/uni-watch-diy-project-letter-perfect/

Swoboda4
09-01-2011, 07:50 PM
Dood,you did a great job(jacket and story). hopefully there's always a way to tell the difference between real and great copy. you kind of help prove how difficult it is to copy but man you bridged that gap from impossible to damn close. I guess the thread and stitching pattern observed from the inside of the jacket will become the new way to determine authenticity. Stitches in Queens didn't do the 86 jackets did they? I think they came on the scene later.

Doodles
09-01-2011, 11:48 PM
Dood,you did a great job(jacket and story). hopefully there's always a way to tell the difference between real and great copy. you kind of help prove how difficult it is to copy but man you bridged that gap from impossible to damn close. I guess the thread and stitching pattern observed from the inside of the jacket will become the new way to determine authenticity. Stitches in Queens didn't do the 86 jackets did they? I think they came on the scene later.

During my project, I contacted Stitches and the owner told me they didn't do the jackets. I am fairly certain that Starter did the embroidery. The Mets, Reds, Phillies and A's (any others???) used that very unique font at times...that means it wasn't the team or a local shop doing the embroidery. Furthermore, you only see the font on Starter jackets. I'd love to find someone from Starter in those days who can describe the history of it.

Watch any Met highlight from 1984 to about 1996 and you will see that font. The size I used is the most common...they also used a slightly taller and narrower version sometimes...and for long names, they shrunk it down. It was good luck too...the Mets, Reds and A's won World Series with its use and I think the Phillies won a pennant!

I don't think you will see many of these faked...you really need a skilled font designer, digitizer and embroiderer. You'd have to do it in bulk to be cost effective...and first you'd have to have the right jacket that had the embroidery. You could easily screw up and make a nice jacket worthless.

Swoboda4
09-02-2011, 12:15 PM
Another aspect to these jackets, if you elect to wear one, is that the length is short. Not a good look with jeans as it appears you're trying to wear your old H.S. jacket. The fashion and serviceability of the late 80's had the jackets ending somewhere around the belt. Today were used to jackets just about covering the whole pants pocket. So if you try on one of these classics,you'll quickly find yourself pulling the jacket down to no avail. Getting the XXL Mike Marshall didn't solve that as the bigger size was instead distributed lengthwise,football style. Inadvertently forcing those with a desire to wear one to properly preserve them. I don't know if the same is true for the short sleeve BP,or long sleeve BP(Johnstone)

Doodles
09-02-2011, 04:03 PM
My long sleeve BP is actually on the long side on me.

Swoboda4
09-14-2011, 08:37 PM
Doodles,got the Johnstone long sleeve BP jacket and a few observations and question if you will.I'm 6 ft 210 and the XL jacket is very broad in the shoulders and the sleeves are very long. The zipper "teeth" are extremely sharp and catch onto the sleeve if your arm crosses over past the open jacket. Since this was not game worn I would like to tailor the jacket for use. What tailor or company did you use to sew your jacket?

Swoboda4
09-14-2011, 08:40 PM
America's Stitch in Westchester?

Doodles
09-15-2011, 09:08 PM
America's Stitch in Westchester?

Swoboda,

The company is called America's Stitch Authority in Port Chester...they embroidered my name on the back...I don't think they do tailoring, but you can try them. Don't trust that to the local dry cleaner to tailor...I would really go to an expert...maybe Stitches (the Mets guys in Queens) would do it?