PDA

View Full Version : 1985 San Francisco Giants Deer Jersey

Frink
08-19-2011, 06:39 AM
Folks,

I'm wondering if i could opinions as to the authenticity of the following jersey:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rob-Deer-Game-Worn-Jersey-1985-San-Francisco-Giants-/200642884520?_trksid=p5197.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D5%26po%3D LVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D2169867649155785425

I've contacted the seller (who seems to be reputable), and am currently awaiting response from them, but in the meantime, I'd like to hear opinions and thoughts from the knowledgeable folks here, too, so I can make an offer as soon as possible. Do things look right on the jersey? The font, the tagging, etc.? Other examples I've seen usually have a player number on the stitched-on tag beneath the Wilson tag - were some of them missing that?

In addition, I found where the seller purchased the Jersey earlier this year: http://www.scpauctions.com/LotDetail.aspx?lotid=15372. Does anyone have an opinions on the trustworthiness of this auction company?

Thanks in advance for any information you can give.

Larry LaHaie

momen55
08-19-2011, 10:00 AM
i'd offer $200 for it. it looks like the name has been restored, unless it is the angle?

lon lewis
08-19-2011, 04:44 PM
Larry, Since others have asked me to look at this jersey, I thought I'd just post my response here. After looking at the photos and going solely on that basis, Here's what I've found. The jersey mfr, number, size, tagging are all correct. The NOB may have been restored or added at some point. In 1985 Rob Deer had 1 set of jerseys ( 1 home 1 road) ordered during spring training. The second set was lettered and numbered by the Giants in season letttering company ( McAdam Sporting Goods) using blank jerseys which carried only the year designation (rather than the usual number and 2 digit year designation.) So from that stand point every thing checks out. However, the NOB looks like something that is atypical for a McAdam plate in both the stitching of the plate to the jersey and the style of the vertical arc letters on the plate as McAdam used a slightly different style or font for the letters when making up the vertical arc name. The jersey does show a tremendous amout of "puckering" of the numbers and S.F. logo on the front and a lot of wear to the black trim on the front but the letters on the NOB don't have the same amount of puckering as the numbers/ logo don't have the same amount which suggests that it was added later. There is no mention of a "Purchased from" stamp in the tail. A question for the seller would be to find out if this jersey has evidence of another longer plate being on the jersey at some point as this jersey could have been made up for Jose Morales for 1986 spring training as the Giants used the 1985 game jerseys for spring training games in 1986. Both Deer and Morales used the same size. Number 28 was Deer in '85 and Morales after that. Hope that this helps you make an informed decision regarding the jersey. Any other question/concerns I can be reached at shadowsdad@att.net