PDA

View Full Version : I guess most of us won't ever have that dream job of being an authenticator..

kylehess10
08-20-2011, 01:57 PM
I just got back from a David Ross autograph singing at the Braves Clubhouse Store, and they had an authenticator there putting holograms on everything that gets signed. I had the urge to ask the guy how he gets such a cool job and he explained that they actually mainly hire police officers now to be MLB authenticators because in the past there were authenticators bringing unauthorized people into stadiums, so they figured they wouldn't have that problem if they hired only police offers.

Well, I guess I can mark that one off my dream jobs list

jscott0688
08-20-2011, 03:25 PM
Yeah, there was a really nice article in the Cardinals Gameday Magazine this month about the MLB Authentication program and the process involved. Sounds like most (if not all) authenticators are former law enforcement.

Dolphins23
08-20-2011, 03:33 PM
I guess i can mark it as a Job I have a shot at for I was just contacted by the police department today as a hiree entering the january acadamey if I desire.

CampWest
08-20-2011, 03:40 PM
Some of the big national audit firms used to contract to have audit staff serve as game day authenticators. A few years after I left the audit firm the KC office started authenticating for the Royals. A buddy of mine from that firm was authenticating for Royals home games. That almost had me convinced to go back into audit.

coxfan
08-20-2011, 06:50 PM
The biggest problem with picking from a limited non-baseball profession is that they're not always up on baseball terms or even on baseball. This is a problem for authenticating g-u items. Terms like "foul tip" and "wild pitch" are often misused, and some descriptions are incomplete.

frikativ54
08-20-2011, 10:38 PM
The biggest problem with picking from a limited non-baseball profession is that they're not always up on baseball terms or even on baseball. This is a problem for authenticating g-u items. Terms like "foul tip" and "wild pitch" are often misused, and some descriptions are incomplete.

However, I don't always trust those from inside the game. They might have a financial stake in something's being called a home run when it's not, or for claiming a ball was used by a certain player when that's far from the truth. You can teach authenticators basic baseball terminology, but you can't teach ethics to those who have a monetary stake in what's recovered.

coxfan
08-21-2011, 07:28 AM
I agree that MLB authentication of g-u items is contributing a very important service. I studied an ALCS game last year and matched the occurrences in that game with the numerous authenticated g-u items from it. I was impressed with the accuracy, despite incorrect terminology.

When I have time, I'll share in a new thread a couple of visual observations I made of the authentication process as it occurred in that game. The home plate umpire was clearly being careful to do his part in taking balls out of play and helping to keep them straight.

One way they can improve, though, is in the timing of entering items into the database. This should be done immediately after the game, but there seems to be a central review process that can delay some items for months. Plus, clubs are probably imposing some curious priorities on authenticators, that may overload them.

camarokids
08-21-2011, 04:30 PM
I had the urge to ask the guy how he gets such a cool job and he explained that they actually mainly hire police officers now to be MLB authenticators because in the past there were authenticators bringing unauthorized people into stadiums, so they figured they wouldn't have that problem if they hired only police offers.

Yes, we all know that the police never break any laws :rolleyes:!

In Indy the IMPD is always in the news with one of its own breaking the law. Or Ofc. David Bisard killing a motorcyclist because he was driving drunk on duty. But they had to throw he BAC blood draw out of court due to a technicality. They took Bisard to the wrong location to have his blood drawn. I guess you gotta watch out for your own!

Maybe it's the Midwest, cause there is always a cop in trouble in the news here.....