PDA

View Full Version : Forged Manny Ramirez Rawlings Glove currently up on Paragon Auctions!

gameused
08-22-2011, 04:11 PM
Looks like the forged Manny Ramirez Rawlings glove has surfaced on Paragon Auctions: http://www.paragonauctionsite.com/LotDetail.aspx?lotid=883&searchby=0&searchvalue=None&page=1&sortby=0&displayby=2&lotsperpage=25&category=8&seo=2006-Manny-Ramirez-Game-Used-Glove

The glove was purchased by a forum member and after he found out it was altered it was to be returned to Phil Castinetti in Boston, not sure if it went back to Phil but someone is still trying to move it as a Manny "game used" glove.

Here's the link to the original GUU post: http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=33506&page=5&highlight=manny+ramirez+glove

I will forward the info to Paragon Auctions and ask them to remove the glove.

Thanks,
Bobby

hawaii_five0@yahoo.com

lowell25
08-23-2011, 09:29 AM
Nice catch, the glove was removed.

gameused
08-23-2011, 02:57 PM
Sent an email out yesterday and got a response this morning from Keith Vari saying the glove was pulled.

The big question is......who consigned the glove and if the consignor knew the glove was altered? Last person I know of who had the glove was Phil Castinetti of Sportsworld. Not saying that he's the consignor, but if a glove that was altered was returned to me, I would have destroyed it and suffered the financial loss.

Thanks,
Bobby

diwhite
04-27-2014, 05:13 PM
This same glove just surfaced on mears auctions:
http://sports.mearsonlineauctions.com/LotDetail.aspx?inventoryid=76444

The description says: "While glove shows definite use and we believe this to be a Ramirez player model glove, sufficient evidence does not exist for us to assert definitively that it saw use by Manny."

I contacted the company running the auction and sent them this thread, hoping they would take it down too. They replied saying they were aware of this thread and decided to list the glove as possibly game used anyway. I've seen another questionable game used items on mears auctions before (a game used baseball that looked more like a souvenir ball).

Anyway, if you want to blow $100 on a "Manny Ramirez" glove, now is your chance.

Roady
04-27-2014, 07:20 PM
And some collectors buy very high priced items based on a letter from a single man.

Phil316
04-27-2014, 10:05 PM
This same glove just surfaced on mears auctions:
http://sports.mearsonlineauctions.com/LotDetail.aspx?inventoryid=76444

The description says: "While glove shows definite use and we believe this to be a Ramirez player model glove, sufficient evidence does not exist for us to assert definitively that it saw use by Manny."

I contacted the company running the auction and sent them this thread, hoping they would take it down too. They replied saying they were aware of this thread and decided to list the glove as possibly game used anyway. I've seen another questionable game used items on mears auctions before (a game used baseball that looked more like a souvenir ball).

Anyway, if you want to blow $100 on a "Manny Ramirez" glove, now is your chance.

Wow so Mears is now selling doctored items lol....what a joke. Some people will do anything to make a buck.

KGoldin
04-27-2014, 10:21 PM
Troy emailed me and asked me to post this

Offered is a Rawlings player model Manny Ramirez fielder's mitt dating to circa 2003. Glove is constructed of black leather with model "PROJD-6JB" stamped in gold on the inner pinky while "Manny Ramirez" is stitched in red on the outer thumb. "MAR" & "24" are written in faded black marker on the red Rawlings tag which is sewn to the wrist strap. This writing cannot be documented as being applied by Ramirez, and may have been added after the fact. MEARS IS NOT claiming this glove is game issue, and we are NOT claiming this is game worn. We are simply selling this as a display model only.

Thanks, troy

Phil316
04-27-2014, 11:17 PM
Ken let's be honest, there is no way that glove would have made it into Goldin Auctions lol

I emailed Troy and suggested it be removed. He wrote me back the same thing you posted.

Why not just removed the forged glove? Save your company the embarrassment of selling obviously forged/doctored items.

Paragon Auctions pulled this very same glove when it was brought to their attention back in 2011.

Why change the gloves description 4 times?

I love Mears but they just dropped a few notches in my opinion along with others I am sure.

Phil316
04-27-2014, 11:46 PM
Glove has been pulled.

Troy in my opinion did the right thing.

carbonrosa
04-28-2014, 02:09 PM
See, I don't understand why Golden, Mears or even Paragon are beening scolded by this community for trying to sell this glove. I understand it's a doctered glove but it's still a nice Rawlings glove. They should have the right to sell it and just say, "This glove has been well documented to be never used by Manny but is a authentic Rawlings glove that would make a great souvenir piece to display, to bring to the ball park or to get signed." Steiner sells players glove like these aka Jeter gloves all the time and I'm sure a Manny fan who couldn't afford a true game used glove would love to own a cheaper alturnitive. Not everyone is made out of money and as long as the seller is completely honest up front and the auction is worded and priced correctly both the seller and the auction site should have the right with out the outcry to remove it.

Roady
04-28-2014, 02:50 PM
But they worded in a way that would leave an opening in someones mind that it may be real.

KGoldin
04-28-2014, 03:16 PM
See, I don't understand why Golden, Mears or even Paragon are beening scolded by this community for trying to sell this glove. I understand it's a doctered glove but it's still a nice Rawlings glove. They should have the right to sell it and just say, "This glove has been well documented to be never used by Manny but is a authentic Rawlings glove that would make a great souvenir piece to display, to bring to the ball park or to get signed." Steiner sells players glove like these aka Jeter gloves all the time and I'm sure a Manny fan who couldn't afford a true game used glove would love to own a cheaper alturnitive. Not everyone is made out of money and as long as the seller is completely honest up front and the auction is worded and priced correctly both the seller and the auction site should have the right with out the outcry to remove it.

"golden" was not selling this glove
I was asked to post a message for troy since he couldn't log on, and I did.

NEFAN
04-29-2014, 02:32 PM

Items like that need to be completely removed from the market because they tend to resurface as authentic over time. "Reputable" auction houses should just steer clear of anything that cannot be proven as authentic.

Phil316
04-29-2014, 05:25 PM
Items like that need to be completely removed from the market because they tend to resurface as authentic over time. "Reputable" auction houses should just steer clear of anything that cannot be proven as authentic.

That is so true.

sportsnbikes
04-30-2014, 01:23 AM
I wouldn't mind owning that glove. But I would not own it as game used but rather as a great example of how easily items are forged and to show how some are unscrupulous in trying to make a fast buck.

It really could be a great educational piece for some of the less educated collectors such as myself.

This forum is so good in looking out for others. So much so that I don't think that I would ever buy a higher priced item without running by the board!

DeacDoug
04-30-2014, 09:17 AM
If Mears is so great, why not describe the glove as a doctored, non-issued and non-game used Manny Ramirez glove. Don't hide behind semantics. These auction houses are making money on both ends. They owe some kind of fiduciary duty to their bidders. I understand, however, that honest makes can be made. This is not one of them on Mears' part.

By contrast, Paragon correctly describes a fake Richie Ashburn jersey as such. Some idiot doctored a perfectly good George Myatt #1 jersey to create it.