PDA

View Full Version : The Future Supply & Prices of Game-Worn Jerseys

kingjammy24
09-13-2006, 03:46 PM
a long time ago, mlb didn't pay attention to the game used market. from locker rooms across the country, jerseys silently made their way out to various dealers and collectors. dealers would try to forge relationships with clubhouse staff, securing "team sources", in order to become the beneficiaries of these jerseys. the more sources you had, the more inventory. players would give away jerseys to friends, family, and business associates. these practices wove together an unregulated cottage industry of independent dealers and collectors all selling, buying and trading via various channels. usually the provenance couldn't be proven. the unregulated, informal, hodge-podge nature of it all was ripe for fraud. seeing this, authenticators appeared offering to authenticate jerseys for a price. i believe most of this is coming to an end.

it seems that mlb, at the corporate level, has discovered how to profit from the game-used market and accordingly developed a system to collect, authenticate, and mass-market game-used jerseys using their own Web presence. no need for middlemen when mlb and/or its teams can easily sell or auction their items on their own, directly to the public with mlb/deloitte authentication. given that mlb has immense brand recognition, a substantial web presence, and all the resources it requires to engage in this sort of business, i fail to see why they'd take a cut in their profits to pay a middleman like steiner. no need for authenticators if everyone knows the only legit jerseys are mlb-authenticated.

going forward, it seems this model will gain substantial momentum as the primary way that the majority of major league jerseys will be distributed from teams, including special events like the wbc and all star games. nobody has better access to these jerseys than mlb/the teams themselves. while mlb/teams may lack the ability to keep their game-issued vs game-used inventory clearly marked apart, the general provenance is obviously impeccable.

given all of this, i see the mlb/teams developing strict controls regulating the inventorying, distribution, and sale of jerseys given that these items are a substantial product line in their retail operations and stand to deliver serious profits. (how many dvds do you have to sell to equal the sale of 1 ryan howard or albert pujols jersey?).

ultimately, i believe it's the teams who actually own the jerseys, as opposed to mlb specifically or the players. given all of these issues, here are some questions i have for the dealers out there:

1) are you concerned about your future supply given that more and more teams will choose to keep their jerseys and market them themselves?
(barry, are you concerned that the rangers will choose to sell their own items given how easy it is?)

2) even if some things are slipped out the back door, will it even matter given that they won't be mlb authenticated and therefore be regarded as dubious? (ie: by securing a monopoly on yankees jerseys, steiner effectively rendered every 2005 non-steiner yankees jersey as questionable.) if every team announces that it sells it's own jerseys then who's ever going to trust an item without team provenance?

3) many jerseys come from the players. it's been said that pujols, for example, is strict about how and where his jerseys go. given that pujols doesn't own his jerseys and they're really property of the st.louis cardinals, do you think that teams will clamp down on players distributing and profiting from items that are really team property and a source of team revenue? afterall, it's now clear that mlb/teams are viewing game used jerseys as a substantial product line. they've developed a substantial system to market and profit from these products. it's hard to believe they're going to allow players to do what they wish with these items considering they have no claim to them.

4) if teams clamp down on players distributing team property, then will players react by purchasing more jerseys on their own in order to cash in on this revenue themselves?

5) is it likely that the nba, nfl, and nhl will NOT follow mlb?

6) if the mlb takes this route, then i see a huge decrease in the need for authentication. is there any need, for example, to send a steiner or meigray jersey to an authenticator?

if mlb takes over the exclusive supply and marketing of jerseys, then i believe prices will rise. they'll have a monopoly and we all know what monopolies do to prices. on the other hand, if the players react to this loss of income by purchasing jerseys on their own and marketing them directly, then i believe prices will drop as the players will be flooding the market with their pieces. if i had to choose, i guess i'd rather have the mlb controlling jerseys than the players.

thoughts?

rudy.

MVP
09-13-2006, 07:05 PM
1) are you concerned about your future supply given that more and more teams will choose to keep their jerseys and market them themselves?
(barry, are you concerned that the rangers will choose to sell their own items given how easy it is?)

The Rangers sell their own jerseys now. I believe 2004 was the last year MeiGray had the rangers jerseys.

-Henry

stkmtimo
09-13-2006, 07:57 PM

The Rangers sell their own jerseys now. I believe 2004 was the last year MeiGray had the rangers jerseys.

-Henry

In my last email to Barry he said they still hadn't gotten the 2005's in yet. Are they no longer getting them? The MeiGray contract with the Rangers is done?

Tim

MVP
09-13-2006, 09:02 PM
I assume so. I was down in Texas on business a few months ago and went to a Rangers game. They had the 2005 jerseys for sale. They were pricey...Soriano, Teixiera, etc were $1700, players like Chris Young and Kenny Rogers were $500 each. Coaches, etc were around $125-$150 Similar pricing as MeiGray.

- Henry

suave1477
09-14-2006, 12:56 AM
KingJammy first I would like to say this is a great thread and articulate!!!

I think I can give you one of the best answers on these questions as for how I am invloved in all of these areas you speak of.
My credentials:
1) My business that I am involved for a living aka my 9 - 5 / I am a high level Sr. Executive in a form of industry Sales
2) My involvement in this hobby as a collector
3) My involvement in this hobby as a seller
4) My behind the scenes experience with the big name exclusive right sellers.

Here it goes I will answer each question in the order you asked.

1)Teams and Mlb will always consider 100% to market and sell the jerseys themselves (That is nothing new thats just business) - It is the Middle mans job such as Steiner, MeiGray and others to market themselves to the teams and mlb that there needed to get the best bang for there buck by using there resources.
2) As far as items making it out the back door your not going to see much of that in the future because of companies such as Steiner, MeiGray and so on will have those items on 100% secutiry lock to make sure they can get every cent out of every jersey. Also to the person trying to get those items out the back door he will think twice bcuz knowing someone likeSteiner has exclusive rights to Yankees items his word that "its real" wont be worth much. Unless he actually videp tapes himself walking out the back dorr with the item.
3)As far as Teams/MLB clamping down on players giving out jerseys I can see that a 100% they don't want to lose sales just like anyone else but at the same time how can you tell your Pujols or Rodriguez "NO" I would say most likely they may let them do it for a hefty cost to the Athlete or limit them to how many they can get on there own in some way. Remeber this hobby is still new to the open public so I am sure they are trying to get a grasp on the proper way how to handle this new business JUST A THOUGHT!!!
4) I beleive my answer to 3 answers for 4 also.
5) As far as the other major orginizations joining sure why not? Its all profit and everyone loves profit. Plenty of football teams I know already do it on there web site. Dolphins, Titans, etc.....
6) There will always be a need for an Authenticator because they prey on one thing "Your Doubt". So there will always be someone out there who will want to make extra sure what they got.
As we all know and have seen before even the Big Name middle man are human and make mistakes so I am sure that would be the marketing angle the authenticators take for you to use there service.
Example: If you have a Jersey and the matierial, player number, tag, etc.... is a bit questionable. The authenticator will say let us look at it and we will confirm for you!!!

NOW ON YOUR LAST STATEMENT - Is that a possibility YES is it likely NO, WHY? Because just as more items are flooding the market remember this is a new market which the Average Joe is not informed about so as more Jerseys and items hit the market your going to start seeing a lot more NEW collectors out there that didnt even know this hobby existed before.

Think about it how many new members pop on here everyday saying "I just bought my first Game Used Jersey" - Chances are they learned about this hobby due to a Steiner Advertisement or seeing a Game Used bat now in the team gift Shop. As we know the hobby has been around for tons of years but to them its brand new.
So as you may have now a 2006 Jersey with sets up to 20, Your also going to have now 20 more New Collectors looking for that same Jersey!!!

Hope I was a bit helpful and not too long winded!!!

BarryMeisel
09-14-2006, 09:39 AM
Hi everybody,

Henry is correct. Since the Rangers have started selling their 2005 jerseys themselves, we do not expect to get any 2005 game-worn jerseys from the Rangers.

Regards,

Barry