PDA

View Full Version : You have to love The Old-Timers

godwulf
08-27-2011, 10:50 PM
I was in Tucson last night, watching the Reno Aces, the Diamondbacks' Triple-A team, take on the Tucson Padres, and at one point the Padres had the bases loaded with one out. The batter lined out to an infielder, with all the runners going, who tossed to First to end the inning. A very young umpire signaled for play to continue, ruling that the third out hadn't counted because of the Infield Fly Rule.

Brett Butler, the Aces' skipper, stalked out and got right in the young ump's face and gave him a two-minute lecture, complete with descriptive hand gestures, on the Infield Fly Rule...at the conclusion of which, the ump called over his two colleagues, who took about about a second and a half to tell him that he was wrong. Inning over.

Tonight in Phoenix, after the Diamondbacks' win over the big league Padres, DBacks skipper Kirk Gibson is being interviewed by the press, and, referring to a conversation with one of his relief pitchers late in the game, he said, "I told him I wouldn't dry-hump him, like I did the inning before." This went out on Fox Sports. When they cut away to the commentators, Todd Walsh just said, "Thank God for cable t.v."

OaklandAsFan
08-28-2011, 12:09 AM
I saw that on TV today, Sorry I missed you at Papago and the game today. My back is acting up and I've been pretty much bed ridden all day. Hopefully I'll be up to a game before the week is up, this team is finally getting some fans showing up and I'd hate to NOT be showing up now.

godwulf
08-30-2011, 03:59 PM
I actually didn't stay too long at the Arizona League game on Saturday morning, myself. It was so infernally hot, even under cover the heat was making me feel bad. Plus, the guy who I was looking to get to sign a couple of his bats, Ed Easley, was not there. I know about chronic back pain, myself - hope you're feeling better now.