PDA

View Full Version : Game Used Bases Question

hrocket
08-30-2011, 11:41 AM
Hello Everyone,

For those of you that like to collect game used bases, what is a reasonable price for a regular season game used base?

I have seen different prices and I wanted to know what is a good price?

What criteria do you guys use when purchasing a game used base?

I recently purchased a base from a Yankee game where Alex Rodriguez hit one of his homeruns, do these have any extra value? The base came with the jewels on the sides.

thanks

coxfan
08-30-2011, 12:10 PM
The Rangers typically ask $250 these days; they had a mother's day base for that price last week. The Braves had a couple bases recently for $1000 or a little more, but I think they're trying to exploit the ending of the Cox era ( One of the bases was opening day, I think). A base should be bought only from a club directly, as it can be as easily faked as a ball.

coxfan
08-30-2011, 12:13 PM
I might add that I bought a base in 2006 from the Rangers from a game in which A-Rod had hit a HR in 2004 ( His first game back in Arlington as a Yankee, after leaving the Rangers). It was originally priced at $900, but after it didn't sell in two years, was dropped to $250.

cliffjmp33
08-30-2011, 01:11 PM
I have only purchased one base so I can't speak with much authority. It was a Yankees base from 2008 and was more sentimental as it was my final game at Old Yankee Stadium. I know I ended up purchasing/winning it from their auction site and was packaged with a couple other items. If everything was broken up evenly, I believe the cost would have been $200-$250 for the base. I'd have paid more for personal reasons - as they didn't have any balls available from that game - but I know I won't resell it, so that effects it's price in my eyes.

And agree with coxfan, I know at Phillies games, they have made generic non-game used, brand new bases available for sale with the jewels. I'm sure it's only a matter of time before those become forged.

camarokids
08-30-2011, 02:00 PM
email me at dzscope@gmail.com , I know someone who has some bases you may be interested in...

stlbats
08-30-2011, 08:12 PM
The Cardinals sell their just plain regular season game used bases for $149.00 Special games such as Opening Day or Pujols milestone games are obviously more and are usually auctioned. They have run bases on sale at the stadium for as cheap as $50.

Jason
stlbats@bellsouth.net

Shipp_96
08-30-2011, 08:25 PM
I have seen Mariner Opening Day bases go for $149, and normal non event ones go for $80. But I guess it depends on the team and the event/historical game they were a part of.

yankees506
08-30-2011, 08:29 PM
+1 on the cardinals bases, last year i got a base from a 2 hr pujols game that was to my shock mlb auth as used from innings 1-9 :D not sure if the cardinals only use one set of bases for everygame but i consider myself lucky as my yankees use 3 sets EVERYGAME.

flota89
08-30-2011, 08:56 PM
+1 on the cardinals bases, last year i got a base from a 2 hr pujols game that was to my shock mlb auth as used from innings 1-9 :D not sure if the cardinals only use one set of bases for everygame but i consider myself lucky as my yankees use 3 sets EVERYGAME.
I had a similar experience, but I ended up buying a base that way used for TWO games (whole game each base). Albert hit a home run both games it was used.

flota89
08-30-2011, 08:59 PM
What was really weird that the two games it was used during were a year apart. One date in August 2007 and the other in August 2008. Does anyone else who bought Cardinals bases have something similar?

BamaHater
08-30-2011, 10:22 PM
I only have one base to speak of and it was a base used in the final regular season game in the Astrodome. It was the 3rd base used in the bottom of the 7th inning. They changed out the bases every 1/2 inning so that means 27 bases were used plus 1 for the home plate. I paid $750 for it. Did I pay too much, probably seeing as they did have 27 bases. It was an impulse buy. Good thing was I bought it directly from Astros Authentics so it came with an Astros LOA.

Astros1994
08-30-2011, 11:54 PM
I only have one base to speak of and it was a base used in the final regular season game in the Astrodome. It was the 3rd base used in the bottom of the 7th inning. They changed out the bases every 1/2 inning so that means 27 bases were used plus 1 for the home plate. I paid $750 for it. Did I pay too much, probably seeing as they did have 27 bases. It was an impulse buy. Good thing was I bought it directly from Astros Authentics so it came with an Astros LOA.
Hi BamaHater,

I was at the last regular season game in the Astrodome on October 3, 1999. The Astros beat the Dodgers 9-4. They chaged out the bases every half inning except for the middle of the ninth since the game ended on the Dodgers last out. By my count they actually used 51 bases during the game.

Scott

BamaHater
08-31-2011, 12:08 AM
My bad, I guess it's late and I can't count:o Wow think I really overpaid now

coxfan
08-31-2011, 06:38 AM
I always thought that bases were changed every three innings, even in college. But I don't think there's a rule on that, so it may vary. Sometimes authenticators specify the innings used, but not always. They should specify whether first, second, or third base, or this may be put on the post of the base.

Mulligans
08-31-2011, 12:30 PM
If anyone is looking, I have a few bases pretty reasonable...all in the $75 to $150 range

Pirates/Yankees
Red Sox/Yankees
Red Sox/Angels ALDS Clinching game