PDA

View Full Version : get glue/adhesive off back of patch

LostExpo
08-30-2011, 06:04 PM
ok so i got a couple of cool patches that have a hard glue/adhesive layer on the back (I am NOT talking about the plastic backing that comes on a lot of the patches from mlb) i tried to boil the glue/adhesive off but it still wont come off? another question..... do companies that make authentic jerseys put any kind of sticky backing on the back of patches before they sew them down?

gameused
09-01-2011, 11:07 PM
Have you tried using a hot iron that you use for ironing clothes?

I would put the patch on the iron board glue side up and place some wax paper or aluminum foil on top of the patch and heat the glue up with the iron until it becomes soft and then scrape it off with a putty knife or butter knife.

I never tried it before, but I have seen carpet layers use a seaming iron that melts a hard glue strip similar to the glue on a patch when joining carpet seams together.....It might work.....Good luck!

Thanks,
Bobby

island_style
09-02-2011, 05:30 AM
Like Bobby, I've never tried to remove the glue off of a patch. I collect patches and leave them as-is. Some of the patches I have came with double-sided tape on the back side.

I saw this on YouTube awhile back and thought I'd share it with you. For Majestic jerseys (according to the video), the patches are heat pressed onto the jersey before being sewn. I would imagine that there is some type of glue involved. I have several jerseys where the patches were removed. The outlines (stitch marks) of the patches remain and, in most cases, glue residue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4trlk1NVBRM

Kind Regards,

Ron.

Rsamiano@aol.com

Dolphins23
09-05-2011, 01:41 AM
They make a really good stick adhesive remover. I have it and it works mericale wonders! I'll let you know what its called tomorrow for I forgot the name of it. Comes in a bottle for like 7$ and will last you a life time. Great investment. Also works with removing the sticky resedue left behind from stickers or decals on helmets.

34swtns
10-27-2011, 05:40 AM
All those methods are WAY too involved, labor-intensive and possibly damaging to your patch(es).

Simply heat the patch up with a common hair blow dryer. Get it good and hot.
The glue backing will peel right off. Works every time.

No boiling, no ironing, no hassle.

Billy77
10-28-2011, 09:21 PM
Put in micro for 11 seconds or so and wipe off...

I do this always to get rid of wax on fronts of sport crds>>>>wipes off really easy:D