PDA

View Full Version : Whos your favorite to collect and Why?

suave1477
09-14-2006, 12:08 PM
I think this is a thread long over do and it hit me that this something in many ways we come close to talking about yet we have actually never discusssed and in many ways can be educational to others.

Who is your favorite player and why? or Who is your favorite team and why? (As far as Game Used items you collect)

Mine as everyone knows is Darryl Strawberry
Many people ask why he has done so many bad things off the feild and ruined his career. I agree. Yet you cannot deny what he has done while he did play on the field. He had one of the sweetest swings in baseball - once regarded in a newspaper as graceful as a Gazelle I couldnt agree more and the Home Runs just popped off his bat.
He is what made me take a liking to watching baseball when i was young, before him I could have rally caredless but when I first saw him come up in 1983 in a game and to watch him swing, I was blown away and thought to myself this kid is gonna be great!!!

both-teams-played-hard
09-14-2006, 12:53 PM
Mine as everyone knows is Darryl Strawberry

I, like Suave, collect jerseys of the chemically dependant. I recently picked up this mid-70s Montana Grizzlies jersey of Micheal Ray Richardson. Aside from being a great scorer and playmaker, "Sugar" was jacked-up in at least half of his career NBA games. I was thrilled to get Micheal Ray's college shirt! I also have a Walter Davis and a John Drew (not as infamous as Richardson, but still former coke addicts). I still need a David Thompson to complete the set. These are great players who fell victim to the temptation of illegal narcotics. Remember guys-cocaine addiction is not a character flaw- it is a DISEASE just like Guillain-Barre Syndrome or Wilkes-Barre Disease. These guys have/had a sickness and it should be treated as such! They can't/couldn't help it!
http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/9545/sug1on3.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
* REPORTER: What do you think is happening to the team?
* RICHARDSON: The ship be sinking.
* REPORTER: How far can it sink?
* RICHARDSON: Sky's the limit.

kylehess10
09-14-2006, 12:59 PM
Even though I'm new at collecting I would have to say my favorite is Andruw Jones because he gave some pretty sweet stuff to ASI. It's pricy but still very very sweet. Also my favorite team to collect is......what else, the Braves.

suave1477
09-14-2006, 01:05 PM
Kylehess but why?

Why do you like particurly Andruw Jones? Why do you like the Braves? Is it just because you from the area or something deeper?

trsent
09-14-2006, 01:36 PM
My favorite athlete is Denis Rodman because he smokes cigars, loves strip clubs and is an avid gambler. Do I have to go into any more detail?

My favorite current athlete is Maria Sharapova because she is hot, rich and I dream about what a great couple we would make.

The most anticipated athlete I ever saw in person was Bo Jackson when he played for The Kansas City Royals. Amazing how people flocked to see him before the hip replacement. After the replacement he was amazing, but people didn't come to the ballpark to see him like the did when he was a 2-sport stud. He also had the best commercials (oh, so did David Robinson in that era)

jonincleve
09-14-2006, 02:49 PM
i collect buddy bell material which branched off into the whole family gus bell, david bell, mike bell. the reason is my dad took me out of grade school one day for lunch to go and meet the indians at general electric company picnic. i met buddy bell and rick waits. he was really nice to me and i started following his career from there. interesting note...i was 10 years old when he was traded to texas and i have always hated toby harrah. i have a jersey from every team that buddy has played for or coached with the exception of the detroit tigers and now the kansas city royals. if anyone has either of those two jersey's i would really be interested in buying them. the other players i collect are jim thome and grady sizemore. the reason i collect all of these players are because they play the game of baseball the way it is suppose to be played. the other night grady sizemore made a diving catch, sliding across the warning track in the 7-8th inning against the kansas city royals with the indians down 10-1 at the time. not enough players like that anymore, worried it might hurt their checkbook.

off the soapbox...love the site.

take care
john

kylehess10
09-14-2006, 02:58 PM
Kylehess but why?

Why do you like particurly Andruw Jones? Why do you like the Braves? Is it just because you from the area or something deeper?

Well, my favorite is Chipper but Andruw probably comes second. And yea I'm from the area maybe that's why I like the Braves so much. I've been living in Georgia ever since I started liking baseball when I was a little kid so I pretty much grew up around the Braves.

34swtns
09-14-2006, 03:29 PM
My favorite current player to collect game used items of is Brian Urlacher of the Bears. My favorite all-time player is Walter Payton. Since Sweetness jerseys don't grow on trees you can guess who I have the most GU items of........

Speaking as a 13-years sober former cocaine addict, believe me when I tell you it is most definitely NOT a disease and is ABSOLUTELY a character flaw. It only becomes a "disease" when someone repeatedly refuses to walk away from it. Some of us got smart and realized that WE, and not the drug, were our biggest problem.
Lecture over.
GO BEARS !!

skipcareyisfat
09-14-2006, 03:31 PM
Dale Murphy. One of 80's best players despite being on one of the decade's crappiest teams. I have a helmet and a bat. I've met him a few times over the years and he's always nice. Probably not a HOFer, but it really doesn't matter. Wish he could've made it to 400 home runs.
Jason

suave1477
09-14-2006, 03:33 PM
34, i dont think the other member meant any harm by what he said I think he was just making a joke thats all nothing to harm personally.

sylbry
09-14-2006, 05:08 PM
I collect Twins game used stuff but within that I collect Dick Such items. He pitched for the Senators in the early 1970s, was the pitching coach for the Ranger in the early 80's, and the Twins from 1986 to 2002 (I believe). Currently I have 3 game used jerseys, a signed game used hat, a letter to Dick from the Washington Senator's asking what type of Louisville Slugger he would like ordered for the following season, and a couple cards (he only had three).

Why Dick Such you ask? Good question. At the age of 14 I had a chance to get a Twins game used jersey for a weekend's worth of work. I chose Dick Such for no good reason. It has stuck with me ever since.

I even have a college buddy who bought a Dick Such gamer. We get drunk, hand out the Dick Such jerseys, and go to Twins games as the "Dick Such fan club." We think it is funny being that he isn't even associated with the team anymore (and because we are under the influence). However, I would imagine a lot of people think we are stupid for doing so. But whatever. Everyone needs to act stupid in public every now and again.

(By the way, as far as my jersey choices were concerned, I had a limited selection to pick from. All common players and coaches.)

So if anyone has any Dick Such gamers and want to help out people on a mission of beer sponsored stupidity, send me an email.

Bryan - president of the Dick Such fan club.

jon_8_us
09-14-2006, 05:30 PM
Manny Ramirez.Because i grew up 20 minutes from Fenway park and spent the better part of my youth chasing players in and out of the players parking lot.I'm a huge Sox fan and think that Manny Ramirez is the modern day Jimmie Foxx.A idiot savant of sorts and a first ballot hall of famer.Plus his bats are the coolest.Pounded with tons of pine tar!The SAM bats are just beautiful.
jon

gatorcollector
09-14-2006, 05:55 PM
Gators, of course! I attended the University of Florida 1983-1987 and have been an avid Gator fan ever since my first game of my freshman year. (We beat Miami 28-3. Bernie Kosar's 1st start. The Canes ran the table after that and won their first National Championship). I collect Gator game used stuff and pro jerseys worn by former Gators. My goal is to have the world's greatest collection of Gator-related game worn memorabilia.

ahuff
09-14-2006, 07:41 PM
Jeff Kunkel, Steve Trout, and Christian Laettner. . .Back in 1985, I tried to collect an entire set of Topps baseball cards. I just loved the Kunkel card. I've gotten to chat with him, via e-mail several times, and he has graciously signed tons of items for me.

Trout, kinda the same reason. I loved his card in the Topps set, and loved to watch him pitch on WGN. I was very blessed to get to spend a weekend with him working a baseball clinic. One of the most down to earth guys you will ever meet, and funny as can be.

Laettner. . .well, I grew up hating him for his first three seasons at Duke. But, Hey, you gotta love a guy that has the will to win as much as he did in the NCAA's.

34swtns
09-14-2006, 09:56 PM
34, i dont think the other member meant any harm by what he said I think he was just making a joke thats all nothing to harm personally.

No harm taken. I just believe people should take responsibility for their actions. Sharing the same town (Tampa) as Mr. Strawberry and having to hear about his shenanigans on a regular basis in the past has further skewed my opinion of him. However, it appears after countless "2nd chances" he may have turned his life around and I wish him continued success in that regard.

skyking26
09-14-2006, 10:03 PM
Dave Kingman. Growing up I had limited interest in sports until I was in high school and came home to the afternoon Cubs games on cable, and the long homeruns of their star, Dave Kong Kingman. My brother was a huge Tigers fan and we competed. I was taken with Dave's aggressiveness at the plate, the fear he struck in the opposition, and the mystery always surrounding him as he did not speak to press and was regarded as a private individual.

When he left the Cubs I followed him to the Mets and later the A's and Tropics after retirement. I finally met Dave in 92 while on a trip to Florida that spring. I had taken a huge amount of game used stuff down in the hopes of getting it signed. I not only did that - but went home with the ability to contact him when I want! Dave turned out to be a very nice individual, and 14 years later I still see him occasionally and communicate a few times thru the year. He has been kind to my wife and children, and I have collected him from oddball stuff to game used equipment. Anyone with items to want to sell, please contact me, and if you are buying I do have items I occasionally sell: skyking442@hotmail.com

I have also collected McGwire and Thome thru the years.

Swoboda4
09-14-2006, 10:07 PM
http://pro.corbis.com/images/U1587441.jpg?size=67&uid={fda0bbbf-8548-41c3-8a3e-3177c0be03fe}http://pro.corbis.com/images/BE064492.jpg?size=67&uid={bd17f5b7-5fbd-44e5-830e-7b17ffd0c6b1}

2dales1number3
09-15-2006, 11:47 PM
Although I like a lot of late 70s-80s baseball players, my favorite is by far Dale Murphy. I love the 80-86 Home jersey. My first baseball card was an 83 Topps Murphy All Star. Since then he has been my favorite. Then I met my long abset grandpa for the first time in 89(I was 9) and it turned out he lived in a suburb of Atlanta. I couldnt get my parents to go since we live 1000 miles away but I went to my first Braves game on my honeymoon in 2003. Will be going again next year or so when my boy is older so he can enjoy it. Hey skip carey wanna sell that helmet?

bigtime59
09-16-2006, 11:04 AM
Favorite team: Orioles, of course.
Favorite player story: (almost) Travis Driskill. Got hot for about half a season with the Birds. Would have been a great story if he could've sustained it. Would have made a fine movie. Nice, level-headed guy. I'm sure that--while great fame and fortune do not await him--he'll do just fine in the end. Hope so, anyway.

both-teams-played-hard
09-26-2006, 12:08 AM
Bump...