PDA

View Full Version : What would you like to see come back for Jerseys?

jake33
09-14-2006, 01:00 PM
What old trend would you like to see come back in sports equipment or jerseys? HEre are a couple from my wish list.

1) LESS colors in teams jerseys, 3 at the most would be nice (espically NFL)

2) Bring back the PULLOVER jersey style (they do it for the MLB throwbacks), I always thought that was a better look, when you have a buttoned jersey, the jersey text will always be a little off in the middle of the shirt

3) For NFL jerseys, has some diversity other than reebok, Adidas? Nike? Even Puma had a nice run in 1999-2000... we won't see this until 2011 though

4) ISSUE less jerseys, to make this hobby more pristine to get these collectible items

What do you think, what else would you like to see comeback?

Vintagedeputy
09-14-2006, 06:13 PM
Burgundy colored sport coats for baseball umpires with AL and NL hats

Do away with black or dark colored bats......wood color is fine.

Big baggy baseball uniforms.

and without a doubt, EVERY ballplayer should be made to wear his sanitary socks the proper way..........show them puppies off!

ahuff
09-14-2006, 08:29 PM
Personally, I'd like to see them get some sort of year indicators on every jersey. I don't care if it is a year tag, strip tagging, or what. Just seems that many of the older jerseys were much better at this.

metsbats
09-14-2006, 09:08 PM
I'd like to see more teams using vests like the Reds and D-Backs. Every team should have one home style, road stlye, and a vest. Get rid of the black alternative and get a pinstripe vest. It gets really hot in July and August!

-David

mjkm90
09-15-2006, 06:32 AM
I think unis now are the best they have been since the late 60s. While I'm not crazy about the dark solid jerseys some teams wear from time to time, the only things I would like to see are the return of stirups or sanitary socks (I hate that Bonds, pants over the shoe look), elimination of body armour, and a ban on wearing caps crooked. In other words, anything that looks lazy or dumpy.

TNTtoys
09-15-2006, 11:45 AM
I'm sure I will get some backlash to my comments, but that's fine!!! I am a 70's boy at heart. I LOVED the way some teams pushed the envelope in the 70's, and find today's jerseys too conservative looking and dull.

The 1980 White Sox jersey (white home & dark blue road) was classic -- ithad the feel of a turn of the century jersey from the "collar" and lettering, but was a otherwise modern... The 1970s/1980s Houston Astros home jersey pushed the envelope in a huge way... who would have ever figured red orange and yellow as the main colors for a jersey?!?!

The 1979 Pirates alternate gold... the 1979 Phillies alternate maroon... and nearly every baby blue road jersey of that era had character, from the Royals to the Phils to the Cards, Twins and Mariners... Road gray to me is boring...

That said, there are a few today that I feel are eye-catching and more teams should take the lead. I for one like alternate black, 3-color lettering with drop shadows, gold & silver metallic twill (e.g. the Diamondbacks, Mariners, Nationals), names on the backs... and I am anxiously awaiting the next experimental look. Sure, some of these fail -- take for example the turn the clock ahead promotion of 1999 -- those all should be burned (my opinion) but St. Patrick's day jerseys seemed to catch on nicely, as did the special occasion jerseys (minor league Independence day jerseys for example). I'm on the fence with some of the more obscure ones like "Tie dye Grateful Dead" day or San Diego camoflauge... but I give them credit for trying!!

I sort of got onto another subject here, but I guess if you can sum up my point of view, I would like to see teams push the envelope the way they did 25-30 years ago. Not exactly vintage, but characteristic of an era -- one that has spawned a massive line of replica and authentic retros & throwbacks and occasionally make "one night only" appearances on field in turn back the clock games...

mjkm90
09-15-2006, 11:56 AM
That is an interesting and healthy perspective I think. I'm more opposed to sloppy than funky.

vintagesportscollector
09-15-2006, 03:05 PM
I would like to take it further back...way back!! - but I guess I am a 1910's boy at heart:) .

I'd like to see 3/4 length sleeves and high collars - at least for those early April games in cold weather cities where it may help with the cold.

For the past two years I've gone to a Yankees games in April wearing one of my vintage wool unis. You should see the looks I get. Many people commented how neat they were (most thought I was a lunatic). Screw them- to be able to wear one of my 80 year old flannels at the stadium watching the Yanks..pretty cool to me.

JETEFAN
09-21-2006, 04:16 PM
Gotta Be Chain Sticthed Name , Year, And Set !!!!

George

MikeSharon
09-22-2006, 10:19 AM
I would personally like to see the jerseys of the mid to late 70's and 80's come back. The black and gold of the Pirates, Green of the A's Power blue for the Royals, and of course the best looking jersey of the bunch the Astros Rainbow, the full body not just the sleves.

Mike Sharon
Geroge.sharon@cyfairvfd.org

staindsox
09-22-2006, 12:35 PM
What an awesome thread!!! I agree with so many of these ideas. No body armour...and no jewelry. Can you picture Joe DiMaggio or Willie Mays running around with earings and gold chains? I love the old school high-sock look. Not this pants over the shoes look. I also love the old wool flannels, but man those things would get warm pretty fast. Baggy is okay, but sloppy is not. Anyway, like I said, awesome thread!

staindsox
09-22-2006, 12:37 PM
And George is right. Chain-stitched lettering instead of strip tagging.