PDA

View Full Version : Sports Memoriabilia Reality TV

metsbats
09-02-2011, 08:21 AM
There was a previous thread on whether the reality shows like Pawn Stars has helped or hurt the hobby.

Here's a new show dedicated to sports memoriblia

http://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com/reality-show-for-sports-memorabilia-seeks-items/

Personally I think with the financial markets unstable and everyone running to gold folks may start looking to invest more in sports memoriblia after watching this. It may be a good thing for the hobby.

freddiefreeman5
09-02-2011, 09:36 AM
I hope more people will start digging through their attacs and storage bins for game used items to sell. :D

Dolphins23
09-04-2011, 02:04 PM
I was thinking of a show like this when pawn stars first aired. I knew it would just be a matter of time. Maybe I'll shoot them an email and try to make an apperance to try to sell a football gamer, since there looking for other sports other then baseball and all.

I will decline all offers, but to get on T.V promoting the jersey game would be cool.

gingi79
09-04-2011, 06:02 PM
On the upside, it causes more exposure to our hobby. That could help bring in brand new blood or perhaps new items. I would expect this site's traffic to increase. The coin that it flips, in my opinion at least:

Other shows dealing with hobbys like American Pickers Pawn Stars and the granddaddy "Antiques Roadshow" have presented items with estimates that have been, shall we say, "Stupidly generous and inflated" to the high side. If this one follows suit either:

Values and resale prices will increase based on what people perceive on the show due to increased demand or

People will lose their minds and think average stuff with established values are actually gold. Like baseball cards, newbies and dealers with delusions of grandeur start hoarding commons like they were superstars all while expecting others to pay their inflated estimation of value. Teams see an increase in demand for jerseys and players start wearing 3 or 4 times as many jerseys a season. We all know how well that worked out for baseball card collectors when Topps saw their product lines explode with interest......

trsent
09-05-2011, 01:54 AM
They emailed me through eBay a few times but didn't respond as I get a lot of SPAM through eBay.

kprst6
09-07-2011, 09:41 PM
Seems like a cool show!

WadeInBmore
09-07-2011, 10:52 PM
I went out and played with them last week before this thread was started, took a Thomas item to share (was nt really looking to sell it). The guy who owns the shop is an old teammate and friend. If you go out there it'll be a 2-3 hour commitment. A lot of fun. Share your item, and get to be in the spotlight while you are at it ;)

Baltimore items are welcomed, BUT other team items are what can really get them excites about your participation.

Good luck everyone. If you have questions email me.

Wade

xpress34
09-08-2011, 10:09 PM
Wade -

Glad you got to be involved!

As far as them getting excited over other teams outside of Baltimore... maybe if they traveled and did stuff in different cities around the country, but just staying in B'More is going to limit the overall scope IMHO.

- Smitty

WadeInBmore
09-09-2011, 02:47 PM
Smitty...

They actually will travel given the right opprotunity. They already made one trip. Just putting it out there. You never know what is going to happen.

wade

xpress34
09-09-2011, 03:16 PM
Wade -

I'll keep my eyes and ears open for that - thanks for the info.

I was just gleaning my info from what the article said which inferred that it would be based at the one shop in B'More.

Hope all is well with you and yours!

- Smitty

cliffjmp33
01-05-2012, 12:22 PM
Here's a clip from the upcoming Discovery Channel series...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoOlMv8wv4E

joelsabi
01-05-2012, 01:53 PM
Here's a clip from the upcoming Discovery Channel series...

Looks like this reality show is not based on ROBBIE’S FIRST BASE as mentioned on Sports Collectors Daily.

Looks like Grey Flannel will be getting more auction items from this show.

Here's another.

Looks promising.

Upon opening a box on incoming auction items:
(Looking at a bat) "Todd Helton game used bat, nothing major" "Big Deal"
(Looking at a helmet) "It's a replica? Crap Crap"

cohibasmoker
01-07-2012, 08:59 PM
How about a episode with Curtis (Helmet Hut) and Robert (aeneas01) as shows guests? In the episode, the producers can get helmets that were certified by major auctions houses and have Curtis and Robert give their opinions.

Would that be terrific TV or what?

Just a thought.

Jim

gingi79
01-07-2012, 09:41 PM
How about a episode with Curtis (Helmet Hut) and Robert (aeneas01) as shows guests? In the episode, the producers can get helmets that were certified by major auctions houses and have Curtis and Robert give their opinions.

Would that be terrific TV or what?

Just a thought.

Jim

I have to say that this would be one heck of an informative and intelligent half hour. Heck, they should be regular contributors, like one helmet a show could be dissected and detailed. Anyone who has ever watched a football game would be intrigued.

joelsabi
10-14-2012, 04:39 PM
anyone watching the show "Robbies First Base" on ABC? It's a baseball shop that's getting offers ala Pawn Star.

One guy brought in a Nick Swisher HR baseball he caught at the Camden Yard and he has framed picture to prove it. He wanted $5000 and the owner offered $100 bucks for it because the frame looked nice. In the same episode he was able to talk down a Notre Dame championship ring for $6400 for a lady customer who was looking for a birthday present for her husband. She bought it for $8000. Same episode, Jim Brown came into the shop to authenticate his own autograph. Then the shop owner offered a starting point of $200 to buy the helmet. The owner of the helmet sold it for $360 just for having the opportunity to meet Brown in person.

Looks like they are doing a marathon of past episodes... I'm watching another episode now.

yanks12025
10-14-2012, 06:41 PM
Joel,
Nothing but staged and I think a member was on the show.

WadeInBmore
10-18-2012, 12:11 AM
I was on the show ;) Robin and I used to play ball together, and given that I work in the motion picture and television industry I reached out to help with content.

Almost every reality show/series is staged to a degree...trading spaces, pawn stars, survivor, etc. What reality tv has become was another form of documentary story telling. If a scene has to be redone due to a technicality or because they want to get more coverage or because the cameras showed something or someone that they shouldn't have...then it's not necessarily reality. It's all up to the viewer and their ability to suspend disbelief...are you willing to believe? Some times the characters are the key. Other times its all about the action.

I had fun on the show, I was happy to see "junior" having fun with it. Did he low ball me, of course...but it was never my intention to sell the jersey in the first place. It was entertainment and for content. Just because a deal is reached on camera doesn't mean the item actually changed hands.

I'm happy to answer any questions anyone has. You can see my own résumé here: http://imdb.com/name/nm1769660/filmotype/cameraX20andX20electricalX20department

Wade