PDA

View Full Version : Jersey question - Fraying on the Piping

intheminors
09-14-2006, 07:05 PM
I recently purchased an autographed (Bruce Hurst), game-worn Boston Red Sox home jersey from 1987. It included the Fenway Park 75th Anniversary patch.

My question is that all of the piping around the jersey appears to be fraying. The jersey has all of the proper tagging and there is really no doubt about it's authenticity. I've just never seen it before.

Has anyone else seen anything like this? Is it common?

Thanks.

Kyle
www.intheminors.com (http://www.intheminors.com)

bigtime59
09-14-2006, 07:08 PM
I've seen some beat up sleeve piping, but never front piping that looked like this from a pitcher...

Mark Sutton
bigtime39@aol.com

both-teams-played-hard
09-14-2006, 07:15 PM
The fraying comes from multiple washings. However, the condition and brightness of the lettering is inconsistent with the frayed piping. Any chance the lettering was restored?

Robert Sanders
09-15-2006, 03:01 AM
My question is that all of the piping around the jersey appears to be fraying. The jersey has all of the proper tagging and there is really no doubt about it's authenticity. I've just never seen it before.

Has anyone else seen anything like this? Is it common?

Kyle,

As pointed out already, this fraying is the result of multiple washings. I have a 1979 Johnny Peskey jersey with a huge amount of fraying, and as a first base coach he obviously wasn't doing anything more vigorous than standing around. BTW, I also once owned a mid 1980s Wilson Tigers jersey that also showed heaps of fraying along the piping. My guess is the reason you don't see this anymore is largely because players probably wear more jerseys in the course of a season than they did back then. Also, it is my impression that the materials Majestic use for their jerseys are built to last, so to speak, and require an inordinate amount of washing and abuse before they even begin to hint at being well-worn.

Robert

intheminors
09-15-2006, 09:17 AM
Thanks for all of the replies.

This has helped quite a bit.

Probably the reason for the color mismatch is due to my limited photography skills. As I look at it, the colors match up. It's probably just my flash positioning, etc.

It's possible that Mr. Hurst just liked rubbing his piping, which is a discussion for another time... and possibly another board.

Thanks again.

Kyle
www.intheminors.com (http://www.intheminors.com)

ryan4fregosi
09-16-2006, 12:24 PM
There's also a possibility the jerseys were handed down to their minor league affiliates for a few seasons of use.