Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pacman2680
    • Apr 2009

Ebay Refund Question

I need someone to chime in on a topic that has come up, if anyone has any knowledge on the subject please help:

As a buyer, I purchase a shirt, am unsatisfied with it, request a refund. The seller tells me he wants me to ship the shirt back before giving me a refund. Does this make sense to anyone? I would think a refund is issued, then item goes back. Am I wrong?

Thanks for the help.
  • joshmiller0
    • Mar 2010

Re: Ebay Refund Question

Originally posted by pacman2680
    I need someone to chime in on a topic that has come up, if anyone has any knowledge on the subject please help:

As a buyer, I purchase a shirt, am unsatisfied with it, request a refund. The seller tells me he wants me to ship the shirt back before giving me a refund. Does this make sense to anyone? I would think a refund is issued, then item goes back. Am I wrong?

Thanks for the help.
    Personally, I would be hesitant to send it back without a refund. However, I feel that you have more protection than he does. You have in writing that he will issue you a refund. In addition, you have your credit card company to back you. (I'm assuming you paid by credit card through paypal). I know you can go through paypal, but if you send it back and don't get a refund, you can call your credit card company to set up a dispute. In fact, you may want to call your credit card company first and ask for their advice. I would also get a name of the person that you are speaking to, in case there are any issues. On the other hand, if you get your refund first and don't send the item back (I know you will, I'm just saying what the seller may be nervous of) what recourse does he have? He can't call your credit card company and demand money...

Comment

• ironmanfan
      • Sep 2005

assuming you used PayPal, as soon as you send the jersey back & provide PayPal with the Delivery Confirmation #, they will issue you a refund....

you can't have the shirt and the refund......

IMF

Comment

• pacman2680
        • Apr 2009

I did use paypal, however the seller was trying to avoid refunding, so I opened a claim in paypal. Should I still ship it back?

Comment

• Shipp_96
          • Feb 2011

I had a similar situation once on Ebay myself. Even though I didn't agree with it, I also had to ship the jersey back before getting my refund. Which I did get, but I also went thru Paypal so of course I was covered.

However, before I shipped it I did like you and opened a claim, and told him once the money has been refunded the claim will close. You are simply protecting yourself and he should have no issue with that.

I think that is only fair.

Comment

• metsmetsmets
            • Dec 2008

I've been through once or twice -- as a buyer. Paypal will require the buyer to return the item first in order to receive a refund. This is what it is, although I don't think it's fair. The buyer has to pay before receiving the item, so it's only fair that the seller refund before getting the item back. Moeny before the item.

Here's a side issue --somewhat related-- that I think is worthy of discussion. When the ebay seller's description is clearly incorrect, or misleading, or just plain wrong and the buyer decides to return the item after realizing the inaccuracy in the seller's listing, Paypal/ebay, as far as I know, will not require the seller to pay the return shipping fees. In that circumstance, the seller can voluntarily agree to fund the return ship fee, if he is decent and has a reasonable conscience, but he will not be obligated to do so. So the buyer loses money on a transaction that was incorrectly described.

Comment

• ironmanfan
              • Sep 2005

Originally posted by pacman2680
              I did use paypal, however the seller was trying to avoid refunding, so I opened a claim in paypal. Should I still ship it back?
              Open the claim, ship it back, report the Del Confirmation # to PayPal, they will refund your money plus the original shipping (unfortunately, not the shipping back).

Comment

• towne63
                • Jun 2009

Good points all but...what would prevent the buyer, after getting the refund first, to then just keep the item? At least by returning the item to the seller first (with a delivery confirmation of some kind) you have a paper trail if it leads to a dispute.

Comment

• earlywynnfan
                  • Oct 2005

As a seller, I really see no reason why I would or should refund $$ before I have the item back in hand. As stated here, buyers have all the protection, and sellers practically none.

Ken
                  earlywynnfan5@hotmail.com

Comment

• Lokee
                    Banned
                    • May 2008

Originally posted by earlywynnfan
                    As a seller, I really see no reason why I would or should refund $$ before I have the item back in hand. As stated here, buyers have all the protection, and sellers practically none.

Ken
                    Could not agree more.

Comment

• metsmetsmets
                      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by earlywynnfan

Ken
                      As a buyer, I don't see why I should pay for the item before I receive it. Whaddya think of that?

Comment

• kudu
                        • May 2007

Originally posted by metsmetsmets
                        As a buyer, I don't see why I should pay for the item before I receive it. Whaddya think of that?
                        Pretty simple solution, don't shop on the internet.

Comment

• metsmetsmets
                          • Dec 2008

Originally posted by kudu

That's not much of an answer. If the seller worries that he won't get paid after sending the item, then the buyer has just as much right to worrying about receiving the item after sending payment.

Comment

• Dolphins23
                            Banned
                            • Aug 2011

I just had this happen to me with a Chad Pennington Game used helmet. I recieved the helmet was unsatisfied with the item. I contacted the seller who sold me it and asked for a refund. (keep in mind I used paypal) He asked me If i could send the helmet back. (He issued refunded amount to pay for shipping which was about 20$. Once he recieved the helmet he refunded me 1900$. Hope this helps.

Comment

• Dolphins23
                              Banned
                              • Aug 2011

Originally posted by kudu

You've got to be 90 years old if you don't shop on the internet!

Comment

Working...