PDA

View Full Version : A Game Used Item You KNOW No Longer Exists (Destroyed)

commando
09-12-2011, 06:37 PM
I'd be interested to hear about any game used items that you KNOW no longer exist because they've been destroyed. It doesn't matter how rare or valuable the items were.

I'll kick things off with the sad tale of the Ronnie Lott game-used USC helmet. My former boss used to live in Southern California and attended a charity auction many years ago. The University donated several things to the auction and my boss wound up winning the Ronnie Lott helmet. This was shortly after Lott left college and went to the 49ers (back in the days where you hear horror stories similar to this one), and he paid a very fair price as the winning bidder, so the natural thing to do was give the helmet to his kids to play with. Needless to say, by the time they were done with it, the helmet just a pitiful shell of what it used to be (no pun intended) and was thrown in the trash.

There may be other Lott USC helmets out there, but I'm not sure if they would have the direct provenance of the one that was thrown away.

kudu
09-12-2011, 07:48 PM
http://i.ebayimg.com/t/2004-Playoff-BABE-RUTH-Game-Used-Home-Jersey-TRUE-1-1-/00/$%28KGrHqZ,%21iYE3dEG+c5nBN9V7d,P1%21%7E%7E_3.JPG

Titans74
09-12-2011, 08:02 PM
Don't believe everyrhing a card, or card company, tells you (or states on their product) about game used cards. I've been collecting on and off for 30 years. Most "game used" card are nothing more than unused jerseys and such. Most, not all, are not as advertised.

ivo610
09-12-2011, 08:06 PM
I'd be interested to hear about any game used items that you KNOW no longer exist because they've been destroyed. It doesn't matter how rare or valuable the items were.

I'll kick things off with the sad tale of the Ronnie Lott game-used USC helmet. My former boss used to live in Southern California and attended a charity auction many years ago. The University donated several things to the auction and my boss wound up winning the Ronnie Lott helmet. This was shortly after Lott left college and went to the 49ers (back in the days where you hear horror stories similar to this one), and he paid a very fair price as the winning bidder, so the natural thing to do was give the helmet to his kids to play with. Needless to say, by the time they were done with it, the helmet just a pitiful shell of what it used to be (no pun intended) and was thrown in the trash.

There may be other Lott USC helmets out there, but I'm not sure if they would have the direct provenance of the one that was thrown away.

That makes me ill

sox83cubs84
09-12-2011, 08:33 PM
My 1986 Cubs BP of Ed Lynch. The missus laundered it but didn't put it away, and our dalmatian laid waste to it, chewing a huge hole in the shoulder. After that, I made sre that, if I laundered any jerseys, that I'd be overseeing it myself.

Dave Miedema

kprst6
09-12-2011, 08:43 PM
The 2011 Jordan Staal Winter Classic 2nd period and 2011 Crosby set 2 both went to card companies :(

ifirocked
09-12-2011, 10:40 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/9-11-09-2722-HITS-DEREK-JETER-2011-TRIBUTE-ROLL-CALL-GAME-JERSEY-BOOK-RED-1-1-/220847873458?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item336b8f1db2

Here is a good example. Read the bottom line on the back of the card.

kudu
09-12-2011, 11:11 PM
Here is the back of the Babe Ruth card:
http://i.ebayimg.com/t/2004-Playoff-BABE-RUTH-Game-Used-Home-Jersey-TRUE-1-1-/00/$%28KGrHqEOKiEE3%29TC058VBN9V+wZVRg%7E%7E_3.JPG

BULBUS
09-13-2011, 09:20 AM
My grandmother used to work for the Giants. I think she was some kind of manager in concessions? Anyway, she had a few friends in the organization and was able to get a pair of Lawrence Taylor game used gloves. She gave them to me and my brother when we were about 10-12 yrs old. Well, we played football in the yard with them on, even in the mud :eek: They were washed a few times and eventually lost/ thrown out :(

godwulf
09-13-2011, 10:00 AM
God, never give anything even remotely valuable to a kid...and by "kid" I mean anyone under the age of about 26. Fortunately, I didn't collect GU when mine were small, or I might have a story or two like that, myself.

AutographAddiction
09-13-2011, 02:54 PM
My grandmother used to work for the Giants. I think she was some kind of manager in concessions? Anyway, she had a few friends in the organization and was able to get a pair of Lawrence Taylor game used gloves. She gave them to me and my brother when we were about 10-12 yrs old. Well, we played football in the yard with them on, even in the mud :eek: They were washed a few times and eventually lost/ thrown out :(

Makes me ill. Did you check under the bed?

BULBUS
09-13-2011, 04:00 PM
Makes me ill. Did you check under the bed?

You and me both. I remember them sitting out in the garage in the 'sports' bin. Probably got thrown out when we moved. They were white Newman gloves, gray palms, 56 written on the velcro strap.

I grew up going to Giants games watching LT play. I would love to have something game used of his today.

gnishiyama
09-13-2011, 04:21 PM
Not game used but still relevant.
The Mariners and A's were suppose to open the season in Japan in
2003 but got cancelled due to threat of war in Iraq.

A buddy of mine who is a dealer for Majestic told me he saw the jerseys
getting shredded at the Majestic factory. He asked if he can keep one
for himself and was told a firm no due to licensing reasons.

I can imagine even without the game being played, a jersey made
to be issued to Ichiro with a special Japan patch would have gone
for thousands.

MarinersFan34
09-13-2011, 05:11 PM
The only goalie pads known to exist of Georges Vezina (http://www.legendsofhockey.net/LegendsOfHockey/jsp/LegendsMember.jsp?mem=P194512&type=Player&page=bio&list=ByName). I know if you're not a big hockey buff, it's not something that sounds significant but in the hockey world it is. Those should have gone to the HOF so everyone can enjoy them fully intact.

They were hacked up by ITG cards to garner media attention and generate sales. My favorite goalie (Vanbiesbrouck) has one of those cards in that set. Not sure I'll ever own it either, they're so rare to find and I can't justify the cost for what it is.

RRexpressfan94
09-13-2011, 09:23 PM
God, never give anything even remotely valuable to a kid...and by "kid" I mean anyone under the age of about 26. Fortunately, I didn't collect GU when mine were small, or I might have a story or two like that, myself.

so your saying i cant trust myself with my collection since i am 16? thanks man.

anyway, interesting timing to post this. i live in austin texas, and if you have heard there were 6 different wild fires in the area last week, one of which started about a mile directly behind my house, with the wind blowing it toward me. i was evacuated for two days and i though for sure during those two days my house and everything inside it was gone, including my entire collection. by the grace of god we got home last tuesday for only our street to smell like smoke. i looked around the woods behind my house, and it got with in 100 or so yards of my home.

mad87man
09-13-2011, 11:05 PM
so your saying i cant trust myself with my collection since i am 16? thanks man.

anyway, interesting timing to post this. i live in austin texas, and if you have heard there were 6 different wild fires in the area last week, one of which started about a mile directly behind my house, with the wind blowing it toward me. i was evacuated for two days and i though for sure during those two days my house and everything inside it was gone, including my entire collection. by the grace of god we got home last tuesday for only our street to smell like smoke. i looked around the woods behind my house, and it got with in 100 or so yards of my home.

Glad you are ok and your house/stuff. i am 23 years old myself and sometimes find myself being extra cautious with my stuff since for younger people its not as easy to afford, hell even for adults its expensive.

godwulf
09-14-2011, 09:03 AM

No, I wasn't being entirely serious, so no need to take offense. It was a slight exaggeration, aimed in the general direction of humor. That, and I might be feeling a bit more curmudgeonly this week than usual, 'cause I seem to have a bug.

solarlottry
09-14-2011, 09:43 AM
Just watch the Panini videos "Mail Day" and you can see examples of what has been destroyed or cut up to make cards. The list includes everything from HOF baseball, BB and football players to presidential autographs! Pretty disgusting to watch but also pretty amazing as to what a company like Panini has and will continue to stockpile. As long as there are collectors paying for a one inch piece of a gamer Panini and the other card companies with continue to bid up, buy and destroy hundreds of game used items!

Paul
garciajones@yahoo.com
Always buying 49ers gamers!

russyurk
10-01-2011, 03:18 PM
The only thing worse than knowing that jerseys are cut up for cards is to see the left over carnage that was just discarded when they had what they needed. I know we’re not talking high end vintage stuff but it makes me sick.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/320766866102?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648

http://www.ebay.com/itm/320766874002?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/320766867837?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

MarlinsCanesCop86
10-01-2011, 06:16 PM
I don't have strong feelings on the cards themselves but I always thought they used the entire jersey. It irritates me to no end to see that they didn't even use the majority of the jerseys before dumping them in a dumpster. Such a waste.

RJB44
10-01-2011, 06:18 PM
I never understood the interest in these jersey cards. Obviously Topps targeted the appeal to those 8 years old and under.