PDA

View Full Version : Mcgwire Jersey

Rboitano
12-06-2005, 05:17 PM
I am not into jerseys, but this jersey is interesting to me. I was just wondering what all you experts think of this one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/MARK-MCGWIRE-GAME-USED-1990-WS-ERA-HOME-JERSEY-RARE_W0QQitemZ8732562604QQcategoryZ60597QQrdZ1QQcm dZViewItem

hblakewolf
12-06-2005, 05:35 PM
The 5 on front looks odd at best. Note how small the opening of the front 5 is (the space directly above the curve and below the top of the 5), yet the back 5 has the correct spacing/opening.

Go to Getty Images, and search under MARK MCGWIRE 1990. There are several photos that clearly demonstrate what I am referencing.

I'm curious to get additional opinions on this.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

kingjammy24
12-06-2005, 07:07 PM
Personally, I think the McGwire jersey looks pretty good in terms of
the letters and numbering. If it's a fake, I think the forger did a great job.
The back is very nicely done. As for the front, I'm inclined to concur with Howard about the '5' being a little odd. I don't think it's way off but I also don't think it's perfect. My qualm with it isn't simply that the distance between the top and the curve is too small, but that the top of the 5 doesn't extend to the very edge of the 'belly' or curve of the '5' on the right. That is, on a 1990 Oakland A's '5', the right size of the '5' should completely line up. The top being parallel to the edge of the belly. On the ebay auction jersey, the top falls short of lining up. However, both issues with the '5' are by such incorrect by such a small amount that I'm not convinced that it's not simply a camera angle issue. The proportions are only very slightly off. It's not disproportionate enough to clearly be more than a camera angle issue. See my pic below.

What concerns me more is the "2 90" tag and the absence of a flag tag.
The majority of 1990 Canseco fakes out there are tagged "2 90" and most are also missing a flag tag. Was this a 1990 Canseco fake re-done into a much more valuable 1990 McGwire? Maybe.

Also, the seller's story and the jersey almost necessarily imply that McGwire wore a "Set 3" for the 1990 World Series. How likely is that? It would be interesting to know if the A's re-used regular season jerseys for the World Series that year or if they issue brand new jerseys just for the World Series.

All in all, I'd personally stay away. I don't like the "2 90" tag, the "5" is a bit off, there's no flag tag, it's a set 2 with no world series patch, and I think the seller knows he could likely command far more money for a legit 1990 McGwire if it went up for auction at Lelands or Grey Flannel than posting it on Ebay so you have to wonder why he went to the Ebay route with no reserve.

Image below: I have pasted 4 1990 A's "5"'s on the jersey so it's apparent what the "5 should look like. Notice how in all the images, the top of the "5" extends to the edge of the curve of the 5. The top of the Ebay "5" however does not reach to the edge. Most likely it's not the exact same font but its extremely close.

http://img393.imageshack.us/img393/8069/mac82yv.jpg

Rudy.