PDA

View Full Version : Wow, this site is a great find!

briansocal
09-12-2011, 07:19 PM
Who knew there was a forum for folks who love GU gear as much as I do?!

I've collected on and off over the years, mostly GU bats (my 2 Rickey Henderson's are my prized possessions), but I was biten by an all new bug last weekend.

The Yankees were in town, so we went to Anaheim to watch them take on the Angels. CC didn't get his 20th, and they lost 6-0 but I found a case full of gems after the game while walking out.

I had no idea that MLB was authenticating GU baseballs but lo and behold there were about 8-10 small bins full of GU balls for sale, $20 a pop. It wasn't until I got home and typed the MLB code in when the excitement meter pinged! Suddenly, the ball had a story to it (Pitched by Tyler Chatwood to Jack Wilson, fouled off the screen, top of the 3rd) and I am hooked again!

While I know that NYY GU baseballs will always be at the top of the market, I am trying to decide on a lighter on the wallet alternative. Perhaps only HR balls? Strikeouts? Hit By Pitch?

Does anyone focus their collection on one event and go from there?

gingi79
09-12-2011, 07:48 PM
Hiya Brian, welcome to the never boring world of game worn material. Glad to have a new member join our ranks.

I have never heard of collectors who concentrate on one type of pitched ball (Although there are HR ball collectors so perhaps I do!)

It sounds like a really interesting focus, good luck with it.

If you haven't checked them out already Steiner is running the Yanks game worn program. You may want to check them out for balls.

briansocal
09-12-2011, 07:51 PM
Thanks for the welcome gingi79!

Checking out Steiner now!

masp3392
09-12-2011, 07:53 PM
welcome to the site bud, i had the same reaction when I found this website. a place where guys and gals have the same passion for collecting game worn items. nothing better !

lakeerie92
09-12-2011, 10:18 PM
I collect baseballs authenticated by MLB that have commemorative logos i.e. Final Season Yankee Stadium, All Star Game, Opening Day. The collection sounds like a good idea. The Angels are very fairly priced, you will find out that isn't always the case with most teams though.

Dolphins23
09-12-2011, 10:58 PM
Welcome aboard, yes this site is like no other on the internet. For the most part everyone is out to help you find what your looking for as well. In my opinion its the best online fraternity there is! Since I've been here I have found 2 grails and met some really cool friends. You will really like it here! Good luck and once again welcome!:)

Rob L
09-12-2011, 11:02 PM
Welcome. My game used ball collection is small (one), but it's pretty huge. One of only seven balls authenticated to have been thrown by Randy Johnson during his 300th win (thanks again Andrew)!

mad87man
09-12-2011, 11:05 PM
Welcome to the site. While i am still newer in the game used world this site is great. It is mostly collectors just helping collectors out. Weather its advice, picking things up, or giving each other great deals. Its just an overall great place to be.

briansocal
09-13-2011, 12:02 AM
Thanks again everyone!!

briansocal
09-13-2011, 12:03 AM
I collect baseballs authenticated by MLB that have commemorative logos i.e. Final Season Yankee Stadium, All Star Game, Opening Day. The collection sounds like a good idea. The Angels are very fairly priced, you will find out that isn't always the case with most teams though.

Seems most teams start them out at $35, I knew the $20 was a good deal right away.

mfsquirrelmaster
09-13-2011, 12:42 AM
I have a small collection of homerun balls, about a dozen. You can find them for $50-$100 usually for common players and semi stars.

BULBUS
09-13-2011, 08:46 AM
Welcome aboard! Fellow Yankee fan here and I also like collecting the gu baseballs. Got a used 2009 WS baseball from a fellow forum member and I love it!

Also, I have a couple of used baseballs from the old Yankee Stadium reasonably priced. Email me if you are interested |
|
\/

bballzs14
09-13-2011, 09:03 AM
Hi All,

I'm a new member as well, although not new to collecting. I'm a huge game worn gear fan and find most of my collection centered around NFL jerseys and the Carolina Panthers/Tar Heels (home town teams). I look forward to joining the conversations and learning from other members.

-Zach

godwulf
09-13-2011, 10:04 AM
GU baseballs have never been a big interest of mine, but I have collected a few. The best one is no doubt a ball used by Brad Penny in his 2003 WS Game One win with the Marlins, signed and inscribed by Penny.

Dolphins23
09-13-2011, 10:42 AM
Hi All,

I'm a new member as well, although not new to collecting. I'm a huge game worn gear fan and find most of my collection centered around NFL jerseys and the Carolina Panthers/Tar Heels (home town teams). I look forward to joining the conversations and learning from other members.

-Zach

Can't wait to see some new teams posted over in the NFL pick ups thread! Havn't sean a Panther jersey come up in some time. I really want to see the first member to obtain a Cam Newton gamer. Welcome aboard to you as well!

bballzs14
09-13-2011, 02:06 PM
Can't wait to see some new teams posted over in the NFL pick ups thread! Havn't sean a Panther jersey come up in some time. I really want to see the first member to obtain a Cam Newton gamer. Welcome aboard to you as well!

I hope to bring a Cam gamer to the message board! It's actually #1 on my dream list... I also have a white unwashed Julius Peppers gamer from the 2003 super bowl season that was an awesome buy from JO Sports.

Please reach out if anything pops up - zach.p.strom@gmail.com

sox83cubs84
09-13-2011, 05:25 PM
Welcome aboard, Brian.

I have some GU baseballs laying around as well...a mix of ones I caught and retrieved and others authenticated by MLB. Over the years, I've garnered 1,782 baseballs, with the vast majority being BP homers and foul balls. That doesn't include baseballs I've bought or bartered with other fans at the stadium.

Dave Miedema

briansocal
09-14-2011, 12:56 AM
Welcome aboard, Brian.

I have some GU baseballs laying around as well...a mix of ones I caught and retrieved and others authenticated by MLB. Over the years, I've garnered 1,782 baseballs, with the vast majority being BP homers and foul balls. That doesn't include baseballs I've bought or bartered with other fans at the stadium.

Dave Miedema

That's a huge collection!!! :)

sox83cubs84
09-14-2011, 01:45 PM
That's a huge collection!!! :)

Not really...between never-ending medical bills and a lack of space, I don't keep much. I've got a few game home runs, some BP baseballs from the 1992 NLCS, and my milestone baseballs here, but a lot that I wish I could've kept had to pay for everything from kidney transplants to a pacemaker installment.

Dave Miedema