Stupid question - Aikman jersey - do I have "something" here?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Preston
    • Mar 2010

Stupid question - Aikman jersey - do I have "something" here?

Hey guys (and gals),

I found an Aikman jersey a while back and, after browsing ebay for my nightly game used perusing, I noticed this Derek Harmon 49ers game worn jersey ( http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Game...item2c5f46eea7 ) and wondered if I had anything here w/ this Troy Aikman (longest of longshots I know) - but what throws me off is I've never had a jersey (with the exception of my Houston Oilers gamers) that had a sewn nameplate with screened numbers - this one happens to be that way too.

Now granted I don't know what size jersey Aikman wore in his career...but do I have anything? It has the feel of something other than a replica or authentic jersey. The sleeves are elastic as well. It feels an awful lot like my Oilers gamers - again, LONGSHOT! lol

Thanks for ANY help you can give!
    Attached Files
  • slab0meat
    • May 2010

Re: Stupid question - Aikman jersey - do I have "something" here?

The style of the letters spelling "Aikman" aren't correct, for one thing.

Comment

• solarlottry
      • Jan 2009

The Harmon you are referring to is from the mid 80s when the 49ers wore strictly Russell with screened on #s and names. The Aikman shirt is a Champion so I am not sure how they are related. Plus the earliest the Aikman could be from is 1989-his rookie year. i have no idea what style or brand the Cowboys wore that year but you could start there.

Additionally Russell and Champion were two distinct companies back then so I am still not sure how the 49ers DH relates to this "Aikman" shirt.

Always buying 49ers gamers and paying a finders fee!
      Paul
      garciajones@yahoo.com

Comment

• sox83cubs84
        Banned
        • Apr 2009

From my own files, I have no evidence of the Aikman-era Cowboys EVER using Champion uniforms. They went from Russell to Apex circa 1992-93, then to Nike circa 1995-96, and to current NFL exclusive supplier Reebok in 2001.

The jersey looks nice, though...if you can ever get Aikman to sign it without paying a mint for the autograph, it would make for a good autographed display item.

Dave Miedema

Comment

• Preston
          • Mar 2010

Exactly what I had figured Dave - the elastic sleeves kinda threw me off. Plus I researched and Aikman wore I believe a 46 or 48 during his career.

So did "authentic" jerseys back then have sewn on nameplates and ironed on numbers?

Comment

• mlupo
            • Jun 2010

Originally posted by Preston
            So did "authentic" jerseys back then have sewn on nameplates and ironed on numbers?
            My guess would be it was a retail jersey that came without a name on it, just a #8 jersey and someone added the name later. I've seen a lot of older retail jersey that did not have names, maybe this was a way to get around licensing since many jersey's were very generic(just team color with a sleeve strip or 2).

Comment

• sox83cubs84
              Banned
              • Apr 2009

Originally posted by mlupo
              My guess would be it was a retail jersey that came without a name on it, just a #8 jersey and someone added the name later. I've seen a lot of older retail jersey that did not have names, maybe this was a way to get around licensing since many jersey's were very generic(just team color with a sleeve strip or 2).
              Good point...I was just asked to examine such a jersey for a seller and gave it a quick thumbs down. It was a Bears home jersey with Walter Payton's number (and likely added NOB) by a supplier who never outfitted Payton for Bears uniforms (Sand-Knit).

Dave Miedema

Comment

Working...