PDA

View Full Version : Stupid question - Aikman jersey - do I have "something" here?

Preston
09-14-2011, 12:24 AM
Hey guys (and gals),

I found an Aikman jersey a while back and, after browsing ebay for my nightly game used perusing, I noticed this Derek Harmon 49ers game worn jersey ( http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Game-Worn-San-Francisco-49ers-White-Road-Jersey-24-Size-40-L-/190577045159?pt=US_Football_Fan_Shop&hash=item2c5f46eea7 ) and wondered if I had anything here w/ this Troy Aikman (longest of longshots I know) - but what throws me off is I've never had a jersey (with the exception of my Houston Oilers gamers) that had a sewn nameplate with screened numbers - this one happens to be that way too.

Now granted I don't know what size jersey Aikman wore in his career...but do I have anything? It has the feel of something other than a replica or authentic jersey. The sleeves are elastic as well. It feels an awful lot like my Oilers gamers - again, LONGSHOT! lol

Thanks for ANY help you can give!

slab0meat
09-14-2011, 08:10 AM
The style of the letters spelling "Aikman" aren't correct, for one thing.

solarlottry
09-14-2011, 09:38 AM
The Harmon you are referring to is from the mid 80s when the 49ers wore strictly Russell with screened on #s and names. The Aikman shirt is a Champion so I am not sure how they are related. Plus the earliest the Aikman could be from is 1989-his rookie year. i have no idea what style or brand the Cowboys wore that year but you could start there.

Additionally Russell and Champion were two distinct companies back then so I am still not sure how the 49ers DH relates to this "Aikman" shirt.

Always buying 49ers gamers and paying a finders fee!
Paul
garciajones@yahoo.com

sox83cubs84
09-14-2011, 01:40 PM
From my own files, I have no evidence of the Aikman-era Cowboys EVER using Champion uniforms. They went from Russell to Apex circa 1992-93, then to Nike circa 1995-96, and to current NFL exclusive supplier Reebok in 2001.

The jersey looks nice, though...if you can ever get Aikman to sign it without paying a mint for the autograph, it would make for a good autographed display item.

Dave Miedema

Preston
09-15-2011, 04:53 PM
Exactly what I had figured Dave - the elastic sleeves kinda threw me off. Plus I researched and Aikman wore I believe a 46 or 48 during his career.

So did "authentic" jerseys back then have sewn on nameplates and ironed on numbers?

mlupo
09-16-2011, 02:25 AM
So did "authentic" jerseys back then have sewn on nameplates and ironed on numbers?

My guess would be it was a retail jersey that came without a name on it, just a #8 jersey and someone added the name later. I've seen a lot of older retail jersey that did not have names, maybe this was a way to get around licensing since many jersey's were very generic(just team color with a sleeve strip or 2).

sox83cubs84
09-16-2011, 02:30 PM
My guess would be it was a retail jersey that came without a name on it, just a #8 jersey and someone added the name later. I've seen a lot of older retail jersey that did not have names, maybe this was a way to get around licensing since many jersey's were very generic(just team color with a sleeve strip or 2).

Good point...I was just asked to examine such a jersey for a seller and gave it a quick thumbs down. It was a Bears home jersey with Walter Payton's number (and likely added NOB) by a supplier who never outfitted Payton for Bears uniforms (Sand-Knit).

Dave Miedema