PDA

View Full Version : Help Needed On Montana Jersey Size

silverschmidts
09-15-2006, 06:00 PM
Hello Fellow Forum Members. I may have rushed into an ill-advised purchase earlier this week and am hoping someone out there may be able to offer some help. ASI had a one day sale and they were offering a Joe Montana jersey with Wilson tagging size 48. I spoke with Brad at ASI about it who assured me that this came from a former 49ers player and that Montana did wear a size 48 at times. Given the time limit on the sale, I went ahead and purchased the item, which I haven't yet received. But I've since spent some time looking at other Montana jerseys auctioned by the major auction houses and have yet to run across a size 48. They are all 44. (For that matter, every other notable 49ers star, including Rice, Young, Lott, Craig, seems to have also worn a size 44, whether the jersey was made by Wilson or Russell Atheletic). Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Specifically, have you ever encountered a Montana size 48? I've done business with ASI before and I've found them to be reputable. If indeed the evidence strongly points against Montana ever wearing a size 48, I'm hoping I can get them to accept a return. Thanks.
--Steve

kingjammy24
09-15-2006, 06:15 PM
hi steve!

excuse the foggyness of the details but i seem to recall that lon lewis was once officially involved (ie: on their payroll) with the 49'ers in some sort of equipment capacity. it may very well have been during the time that montana was there. apparently lon is in reno nevada and restores jerseys.
others may know his contact details. if you manage to contact lon and he says he was never with the 49'ers, then my apologies in advance for my failing memory.

good luck!

rudy.

RKGIBSON
09-16-2006, 11:40 PM
I have owned two with good provanance a 88 Russell and a 89 Wilson and both were size 44.

Roger