PDA

View Full Version : auction question for you guys...

OaklandAsFan
09-15-2011, 05:00 PM
ok recently at an auction up in Oakland I had a friend of mine bidding on something in their weekend auctions (actually it was a basket auction for the Willingham foundation) well another "friend" of ours was also bidding on the same basket and when she saw my friend make the bid on my behalf she went off on my friend yelling that it was wrong of her to make bids against her because there is some sort of unwritten code that friends don't bid against friends for things.

For me personally I think this is just really childish. If somebody wants to bid against me go for it, whoever wants it more wins it (Godwulf snagged a bat against me last weekend and I just shook his had and went on my way)

Is this something that you guys agree with or would you defer to one of your friends if you knew they were also bidding on an item?

gnishiyama
09-15-2011, 05:36 PM
I don't think there are any unwritten codes of ethics but it's crazy
of your friend to just assume that.

I do this for a living so if I see something I want to resell
all bets are off and I'm going to go all out.

However if I know for a fact that someone who I am friendly with
and is not in the business wanting the same item I would back out
depending on the item.

A buddy of mine on this forum who has helped me out greatly
would sometimes send me links to items I might be interested in
and usually the first thing I ask is if he's planning to bid. It's
hasn't happened yet but if he said yes I would not bid at all but
would expect him to win. :D

jppopma
09-16-2011, 10:27 PM
There is no real unwritten rule, but I will often step aside to let another collector land a piece that fits their collection.

We all know who collects what certain players on here. If something comes up from one of those players, why wouldn't I avoid bidding on that item? I often buy things that don't really fit my collection because they are a good deal...so not bidding on that item will not affect me in any way. However, that no namer jersey could be the holy grail of a collector who went to school with that player.

The unfortunate other side is that there are some on here who will do just the opposite. Knowing that they are passionate collectors of a certain player, will try to bid or buy anything of that player knowing that they have a good chance at a quick flip.

If it is an item that I am really interested in, let the winner prevail. Otherwise, I am all for helping other out in getting the jerseys they are hunting for and at the best price (sorry sellers).

trsent
09-17-2011, 08:43 AM
Is the auction a charity auction?

godwulf
09-17-2011, 11:00 AM
In my own defense, it was a silent auction, and I honestly didn't see Mike's name on the bid sheet. Especially considering that he'd done me a big favor and gotten me in to a special season ticket holders' event for some autographs the day before, honestly, I'd have not bid against him if I'd known. It's a really cool bat (a hammered Gerardo Parra SSK with "El Chamo" on the barrel), but it's not like it's a grail, or something.

OaklandAsFan
09-17-2011, 12:52 PM
all of the A's auctions are for their community fund but this one specific auction was for the Josh Willingham foundation to raise money for the tornados devastation from earlier this year.

Godwulf, no need to defend yourself really I don't care I was just using it as an example, had this been my "friend" she would have never spoken to you again :) I'm sure another one will pop up that I'll land.

OaklandAsFan
09-17-2011, 12:54 PM
and it was an item that I really wanted and had I been there to bid for myself I would have bid higher but since the friend that I talked and I had discussed my highest bid that was as high as she could go for me.

David
09-17-2011, 01:22 PM
If it's wrong to bid against a friend, than she should withdraw her bids because you're bidding.

Some will say it's unethical for a bidder to try and suppress bidding by preventing others from bidding. She's trying to manipulate bidding to lower the natural price realized.

David
09-17-2011, 01:24 PM
In a way, it's like reverse shilling. Artificially suppressing bidding rather artificially raising bidding.

David
09-17-2011, 01:26 PM
Lastly, I don't know what is this foundation you mentioned, but if it's a charity raising funds through the auction, suppressing bids is that much more unseemly.

David
09-17-2011, 01:40 PM
The general rule is if you're willing to allow bidder manipulation of bids, you have to be willing for sellers to manipulate bids. You can't say sellers have to remain pristine, but bidders can game the system.

halzeus
09-17-2011, 02:13 PM
I will generally not bid against a friend if I only have modest interest in an item.

If it is an item I really want, I will bid against everyone.

David
09-17-2011, 02:16 PM
Duly note my posts were nothing more than my opinions. Take them as you wish.

jppopma
09-17-2011, 07:27 PM
I appreciate varying opinions. As a buyer, there are tons of reasons that I chose to not bid on various items. Knowing that they jersey would find a better home with a specific collector is just one of them.

I am grateful to those collectors who have pointed items that I am interested in to me and even more grateful knowing that I don't need to go head to head with them. But at the same time, I'd never expect this at all.

Alot of the differing opinions come between those who view this as a hobby and those who view it as a business.

In the end, prices will land where they land.....yes we have shill bidding, now we add non bidding.....the manipulations can go on to bidders who will upbid a item to punush the competition (yes it happens, just look at the nba all star auctions). This manipulation can be countered with bidders who refuse to deal with certain sellers or auction houses. All of these things effect the price of an item, as well as any of 1,000's of other factors.

OaklandAsFan
09-17-2011, 09:09 PM
fun that bid shilling should come up.

Recently at a Dbacks GU auction (they have a few GU items every game in auction where not all but some of the proceeds to towards their charities) there was a Miguel Montero batting helmet. I put a bid on it and then left in alone until it was about to end at which time another guy came up and put in a bid so I bid again but jumped about $40 on his last bid, he immediately put another bid on it $20 over mine and it was more than I wanted to spend so I told him it was his. He then asked me to go erase my bids so he could get it for cheaper. i laughed in his face and told him to F off cause I would have paid what I bid for it. I have come to learn that he does this often during these auctions and even goes as far as to call the people who have bid on items (need to leave your cell phone as contact in case you win the auction if you don't plan on being there when it ends) that he wants to talk them out of bidding.