PDA

View Full Version : Game Used MLB Baseballs

dwolfe12345
09-16-2011, 01:26 PM
Does anyone know why all the game used baseballs teams sell always are either foul tips or ground outs? Does MLB only authenticate balls that are taken out of play permanently? Just kind of curious. The Braves are selling probably 50 balls and not one is recorded as a hit by a player.

cliffjmp33
09-16-2011, 01:55 PM
The Phillies have sold balls that were hits, including this season. It may just depend on the team? Sorry can't shed anymore light.

gnishiyama
09-16-2011, 02:07 PM
I have several game used balls that were actually recorded as hit balls
but they are very rare. For some teams its rarer than others since
they don't track the use of the ball through multiple batters.

For example, as far as I know the Mariners only authenticate to the last
batter. So in order to get an Ichiro game used hit baseball, Ichiro would
have to get a hit and then that ball be immediately taken out of play for
whatever reason. (ball was scuffed, player requested new ball)

Some teams like the Twins are a bit easier to get hit balls because
they will authenticated back through multiple batters. For example,
Mauer can hit the ball but even if the ball is used afterwards for several
batters, it will still get recorded and you can confirm it thereafter.
(i.e. Mauer hit, Thome ground out, Cuddyer foul ball, taken out of play)

Hit balls in general are hard to get because I would think MLB would frown
upon taking a ball out of play just for resale purposes. The only instances I
see them taking out a perfectly reusable ball is for records and milestones.

Hope this helps.

eGameUsed
09-16-2011, 02:12 PM
I know of a few teams that collect hits including the Astros, Giants, Twins, and Cardinals. he Astros specifically will collect single, doubles, triples, and home runs. They will also collect Strike Out balls from pitchers. Most of the balls they collect are pitches in the dirt and foul back to screen.

Thanks,

lakeerie92
09-16-2011, 02:12 PM
The list I got from the Braves yesterday had a Jose Reyes triple and some other hits in there.

Most baseballs aren't taken out of play until they are a pitch in the dirt or fouled. That is when they get authenticated and what they get authenticated to. Baseballs hit for singles, doubles, fly outs, etc. often continue use. If the camera stays on them sometimes you can track a pitch in the dirt ball to the instances where they were hit into play.

Baseballs from regular season games with no feature tend to not sell well so they only authenticate a few and the foul tips and pitch in dirt balls are the ones that get the hologram. Games with meaning like Opening Day, Civil Rights Game,Teams Unite for Joplin, or playoffs tend to get more focus and you can find more hits because the ball is taken out of play frequently.

rmichne
09-16-2011, 03:08 PM
Hello,
Wondering if the there were any game used baseballs from the Mets / Atlanta game on April 17, 2011. Please let me know and if so how much.

Thanks

Ron Michne Jr
rmichne@yahoo.com

Always buying New York Mets items

lakeerie92
09-16-2011, 04:53 PM
Hello,
Wondering if the there were any game used baseballs from the Mets / Atlanta game on April 17, 2011. Please let me know and if so how much.

Thanks

Ron Michne Jr
rmichne@yahoo.com

Always buying New York Mets items

No, there were 4 from 4/16, but none from 4/17.

coxfan
09-16-2011, 07:22 PM
There is a lot of variability from club to club and year to year. When I went to five Rangers' games on a Texas visit in late August, they were focused on selling g-u balls from the game in progress, receiving them by the 8th inning in their stadium store. This a new practice they didn't do last year. Maybe as part of that new emphasis, they authenticated at least a couple as base hits ( Including one I bought, a single.) I seemed to notice that the bat boy would pause to talk to someone by the home dugout when a ball was taken out of play; I guesed that he was helping the authenticator make sure he got it right, but I was too far away to be sure.

They authenticated some hits from the playoff games last year, when as many as 55 balls from a game were authenticated ( ie everything that wasn't hit in the stands). But I noticed that even those didn't always sell well at the prices ( typically $150 for a hit,) so that some were still unsold this August. I still find that surprising, given the millions of fans following those games. I think a lot of people don't go into collecting g-u items because they mistakenly assume (as I long did) that the demand would too far exceed the supply. Does that mean we collectors are a rare breed?

As I noted before the term "foul tip" is typically misused by authenticators for any foul behind the batter, though few are true foul tips by the rules.

dplettn
09-20-2011, 01:06 PM
Most baseballs aren't taken out of play until they are a pitch in the dirt or fouled. That is when they get authenticated and what they get authenticated to. Baseballs hit for singles, doubles, fly outs, etc. often continue use. If the camera stays on them sometimes you can track a pitch in the dirt ball to the instances where they were hit into play.

A good example might be FJ 591281. The authentication would make the ball appear insignificant:

Session Name: CIN AT BAL
Session Date: June 25, 2011

PITCHER BRIAN MATUSZ , BATTER SCOTT ROLEN, T 1ST INNING, PITCH IN THE DIRT

Watching the video makes a world of difference. Joey Votto hit the preceding pitch for his 600th career single, but the authenticator only noted the pitch that took it out of play. One of my favorite balls obviously; Joey Votto would later hit his 100th and 101st career home runs in the same game. It took attention to detail to realize what it was. It would be an honor if someday the Reds Hall of Fame wants the ball for one of its displays.

As a ball collector, I’ve noticed that the balls from Camden Yards are particularly heavily mudded, which really adds to the appeal IMHO. So, whether somebody is after a ball that helps to memorialize something personal (a trip to Camden Yards, birth, wedding anniversary, child’s first game, etc) or to commemorate a big game by their favorite player.

Even at Camden where all the balls are very cool, the majority of balls authenticated at are not hits. In my favorite team’s series @Camden the only Reds hit authenticated accordingly was the Brandon Phillips’ single putting him on base for Votto’s 100th career homer. Still, I can avidly recommend the Orioles merchandising.

Kelly provides an abundance of professionalism and effort! The shop is at the York Galleria in York, PA an hour north of Baltimore and the phone number is (717) 840-8822.

dplettn
09-20-2011, 01:09 PM
A good example might be FJ 591281. The authentication would make the ball appear insignificant:

Session Name: CIN AT BAL
Session Date: June 25, 2011

PITCHER BRIAN MATUSZ , BATTER SCOTT ROLEN, T 1ST INNING, PITCH IN THE DIRT

Watching the video makes a world of difference. Joey Votto hit the preceding pitch for his 600th career single, but the authenticator only noted the pitch that took it out of play. One of my favorite balls obviously; Joey Votto would later hit his 100th and 101st career home runs in the same game. It took attention to detail to realize what it was. It would be an honor if someday the Reds Hall of Fame wants the ball for one of its displays.

As a ball collector, I’ve noticed that the balls from Camden Yards are particularly heavily mudded, which really adds to the appeal IMHO. So, whether somebody is after a ball that helps to memorialize something personal (a trip to Camden Yards, birth, wedding anniversary, child’s first game, etc) or to commemorate a big game by their favorite player.

Even at Camden where all the balls are very cool, the majority of balls authenticated at are not hits. In my favorite team’s series @Camden the only Reds hit authenticated accordingly was the Brandon Phillips’ single putting him on base for Votto’s 100th career homer. Still, I can avidly recommend the Orioles merchandising.

Kelly provides an abundance of professionalism and effort! The shop is at the York Galleria in York, PA an hour north of Baltimore and the phone number is (717) 840-8822.

Pictures of Votto 600th hit ball, displaying the heavy mudding typical of Camden balls are attached:

freddiefreeman5
09-20-2011, 03:17 PM
I just recently received a Jason Heyward single hit ball from the Braves.

Now I need a Feddie Freeman. :)

cliffjmp33
09-21-2011, 10:58 AM
I know this was more geared toward finding specific baseballs, such as hits, but here's a link to a store that's selling cheap $20 and under MLB Authenticated balls. They have couple postseason ones from early 2000s, couple from opening days and from Ripkens' final season, including one from I believe his last game in Toronot where he hit his final HR away from home (someone could double check that though).

Just wanted to pass along to any and all.

http://www.dacardworld.com/sports-memorabilia/baseball-collectibles

TJordan522
09-22-2011, 11:20 AM
As other have mentioned, the Phillies usually have plenty of "hit" balls for sale.

I also love when the Phillies get strikeout balls, I think those are neat.

I assembled a collection this year of "out" balls thrown by each of the Phillies' four aces...Oswalt strikeout, Hamels strikeout, Halladay ground into double play, and Lee groundout (from opening day).

ifirocked
09-22-2011, 12:15 PM
I know this was more geared toward finding specific baseballs, such as hits, but here's a link to a store that's selling cheap $20 and under MLB Authenticated balls. They have couple postseason ones from early 2000s, couple from opening days and from Ripkens' final season, including one from I believe his last game in Toronot where he hit his final HR away from home (someone could double check that though).

Thank Jack. Found Game Used MLB Baseball Baltimore Orioles at Detroit Tigers (4/24/01) 100th Anniv game.

TJordan522
09-29-2011, 03:06 PM
The list I got from the Braves yesterday had a Jose Reyes triple and some other hits in there.

Who should I email to get on the Braves email list?

cliffjmp33
09-29-2011, 03:26 PM
Who should I email to get on the Braves email list?

Lisa Wessinger ... Lisa.Wessinger@braves.com

TJordan522
09-30-2011, 11:20 AM
Lisa Wessinger ... Lisa.Wessinger@braves.com

Thanks, I sent her an email yesterday but haven't heard back yet.

In the meantime, if anyone has a current list they could email me I'd really appreciate it. My email is tjordan522@aol.com.

briansocal
09-30-2011, 11:22 AM
I will email you the list she sent me a few weeks ago now.

briansocal
09-30-2011, 11:27 AM
I will email you the list she sent me a few weeks ago now.

I emailed Lisa the other day and received an out of office reply, looks like she'll be back next week:

Thank you for your email. I am currently out of the office, returning on Monday, October 3rd. I will return your email as soon as possible. Thanks!

emann
09-30-2011, 08:09 PM

Thanks cliffjmp33, I picked up a ball from the Padres game on 9/27/01 which was Tony Gwynn's last hit on the road...

dplettn
09-30-2011, 08:36 PM
I just recently received a Jason Heyward single hit ball from the Braves.

Now I need a Feddie Freeman. :)

May or may not still be available, but recently the Mets had a Freddie Freeman double from the August 5th game.

Personally, I've been very impressed with the Mets in terms of Game Used Merchandising. James at the Mets is 'mazing... e-mail: gameused@nymets.com

cliffjmp33
09-30-2011, 09:49 PM
Glad to help emann!

csu398
10-04-2011, 06:11 PM
As other have mentioned, the Phillies usually have plenty of "hit" balls for sale.

I also love when the Phillies get strikeout balls, I think those are neat.

I assembled a collection this year of "out" balls thrown by each of the Phillies' four aces...Oswalt strikeout, Hamels strikeout, Halladay ground into double play, and Lee groundout (from opening day).

The Phillies GU baseball merchandise is awesome. Last week I contacted Mr John Hollinger to ask for hologram numbers of GU baseballs available from a specific game. He replied my email really fast and gave the list to me. Now a baseball from that game is already sitting on my office desk! :D

freddiefreeman5
10-04-2011, 09:09 PM
May or may not still be available, but recently the Mets had a Freddie Freeman double from the August 5th game.

Personally, I've been very impressed with the Mets in terms of Game Used Merchandising. James at the Mets is 'mazing... e-mail: gameused@nymets.com
Thanks for the tip!

freddiefreeman5
10-05-2011, 03:01 PM
I talked to James at the Mets today and I will have my Freddie Freeman baseball next week.

Thank you for the great info dplettn! I really appreciate the help. :)