PDA

View Full Version : Pujols Rookie Jersey

mmonte4
09-17-2011, 01:55 PM
I know there has been a lot of controversy surrounding Albert Pujols jerseys. It appears there is a lot of misrepresented jerseys floating around the market. I'd love to hear opinions on this piece:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2001-ALBERT-PUJOLS-ST-LOUIS-CARDINALS-GAME-USED-ROOKIE-ROAD-JERSEY-/230673738973?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35b539ecdd#ht_600wt_1182

sox83cubs84
09-17-2011, 04:16 PM
The MEARS LOA doesn't specifically address that. Their A5 grade for post-1987 jerseys indicates that the jersey has all the characteristics of a game-worn jersey (size, fonts, tags, tailoring, etc.) but does not go so far as to declare it unconditionally game-worn. Hard to say if it's game-worn without seeing the wear (which is difficult from photos), but it's probably at least team-issued. That is said without reference to 2001 Pujols photos, though. Someone like Jeff Scott, with mountains of Pujols reference material at his disposal, would be able to give a definitive answer.

Dave Miedema

Birdbats
09-17-2011, 04:27 PM
It's an obvious retail jersey. The big giveaway -- the line at the barrel end that simulates 3-dimentional roundness. Legit pro jerseys don't have that. Here are photos I have on file of a bad Pujols (same jersey?), a legit 2001 jersey and a closeup of how the barrel end should look.

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w232/birdbats/2001Pujolsfake2.jpg

mmonte4
09-17-2011, 05:07 PM
It's an obvious retail jersey. The big giveaway -- the line at the barrel end that simulates 3-dimentional roundness. Legit pro jerseys don't have that. Here are photos I have on file of a bad Pujols (same jersey?), a legit 2001 jersey and a closeup of how the barrel end should look.

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w232/birdbats/2001Pujolsfake2.jpg

Wow! Great information. Thanks Jeff.

sox83cubs84
09-18-2011, 02:10 PM
Jeff:

Good research on the Pujols. Now I wish I WOULD have checked photos before posting...I hope I didn't get mmonte's hopes up for nothing.:o

Dave Miedema

DoctorLoomis
09-18-2011, 03:37 PM
Jeff, what year did the line issue first come into play? Or has it always been an issue with retail shirts?

DoctorLoomis
09-18-2011, 03:38 PM
Once again, so called professional "authenticators" dropped the ball.

Birdbats
09-18-2011, 04:18 PM
Jeff, what year did the line issue first come into play? Or has it always been an issue with retail shirts?

The Cardinals unveiled the "birds-on-bat" logo in 1922. Through 1950, the bat was black. In 1951, it was changed to yellow. In the 60 years since, there has been no "3-D line" on the bat. You will find the line on pre-game jerseys starting in 2007, when Majestic began using a heat-pressed logo instead of embroidery. This season, Majestic is using a sewn-on patch on the BP shirts and the line is still there. Don't know what the history of that little line is on retail shirts, but I know it's a deal breaker if you find one on an alleged gamer.

Regarding this particular Pujols jersey, Legendary Auctions had it or one like it in its November 2010 auction (lot 1313). I notified Doug Allen in early November and Legendary pulled it immediately. If this is the same shirt, then it fooled authenticators from both Legendary and MEARS. Regardless of the assigned grade, what's most disappointing is how MEARS' letter says it's style matched with photos and that it matches exemplars. No way either statement could be true unless MEARS has faulty exemplars. I'm a fan of the guys at MEARS, but this was a bad miss.