PDA

View Full Version : Blue Jays Garage Sale

vballGuy
09-17-2011, 10:57 PM
At today's Yankees vs. Blue Jays game, the Jays held their annual garage sale, where the team sells autograph and game-used memoribilia at low prices. This year, I was fairly disappointed.....here's why:

1. The garage sale opened when the gates opened. I got there 10 minutes after the gates opened, and by the time I got there, virtually all of the game-used equipment was gone. Most game-used equipment was either in the $50 or $75 range ($75 was the most expensive), and they had a variety of game-used balls for $20-$25. Apparently, they had 3 Frank Thomas game-worn jerseys and 2 of his game-used bats, each for $75. Needless to say, those went literally in a few minutes :(.

2. There was no rhyme or reason to how people could approach the tables where items were being sold. No lineups or anything and people were literally pushing to find good deals. It was not a fun scenario.

3. They didn't have very much game-used equipment this year. One of the workers told me that they had a total of only 10 game-used bats and about 15 game-used jerseys. Boo.

After hitting up the garage sale, me and my buddy heard that there was 50% off most game-used memoribilia in the team store. Problem: The store only had about 15 game-used jerseys for sale. All other game-worns were not available for sale at all. Boo.

Needless to say, I was disappointed with the way that the Jays held their "fan appreciation day". It would have been nice to see some more game-used representation there.

Sincityson
09-18-2011, 01:32 AM
Heard the same from a friend that was there.. I can't believe that they'd let a Thomas game worn jersey go for a low price, they know the going prices.

The jerseys in the store on the rack have been there most of the year, there was never anything great, coaches, players that only got in a few games, etc.

Sincityson
09-18-2011, 01:34 AM
from twittr

http://s1.proxy03.twitpic.com/photos/large/400500029.jpg

OaklandAsFan
09-18-2011, 03:06 AM
Heard the same from a friend that was there.. I can't believe that they'd let a Thomas game worn jersey go for a low price, they know the going prices.

The jerseys in the store on the rack have been there most of the year, there was never anything great, coaches, players that only got in a few games, etc.

the A's do a uniform and equipment sale every year for fanfest and they sold Thomas jerseys for $100, needless to say they went first.

sugarpam
09-18-2011, 10:56 AM
I went to the garage sale yesterday as well, and I agree with the sentiments expressed here. Normally they have stacks and stacks of bats, and they add new ones throughout the game, but I kept checking back yesterday and it didn't seem like anything new was added.

That being said, I was lucky enough to be one of the first people there and, despite the slim pickings, came away with some of my favourite pieces.

http://i315.photobucket.com/albums/ll468/pamchops10/Game%20Used%20Memorabilia/004.jpg

-two Travis Snider game used bats (PC player)
-Brett Cecil game used bat (I love pitcher bats!)
-Gregg Zaun game used chest protector (Zaunie was my favourite player for years when he was with the Jays)
-Gregg Zaun game used shin guards
-Brian Tallet game used glove (not a big fan, but I've always wanted a game used glove)

After the garage sale I went to the in-game studio and had Zaunie sign the catcher's gear for me and confirm the shin guards were his (they have #9 on the side, but they were trying to sell them as J.P. Arencibia's).

The limited selection also helped my budget - I only ended up spending about half of what I planned to :)

-Pam

Sincityson
09-18-2011, 01:18 PM
Did they have any other gloves? what were the prices like on the gloves?

sugarpam
09-18-2011, 01:23 PM
That was the only glove I saw. I picked it up for $75 - all game used equipment was $75.

-Pam

Sincityson
09-18-2011, 03:18 PM
good deal! would have been nice to see more gloves, you hardly ever see jays gloves turn up..

That was the only glove I saw. I picked it up for $75 - all game used equipment was $75.

-Pam

vballGuy
09-18-2011, 03:35 PM
I went to the garage sale yesterday as well, and I agree with the sentiments expressed here. Normally they have stacks and stacks of bats, and they add new ones throughout the game, but I kept checking back yesterday and it didn't seem like anything new was added.

That being said, I was lucky enough to be one of the first people there and, despite the slim pickings, came away with some of my favourite pieces.

http://i315.photobucket.com/albums/ll468/pamchops10/Game%20Used%20Memorabilia/004.jpg

-two Travis Snider game used bats (PC player)
-Brett Cecil game used bat (I love pitcher bats!)
-Gregg Zaun game used chest protector (Zaunie was my favourite player for years when he was with the Jays)
-Gregg Zaun game used shin guards
-Brian Tallet game used glove (not a big fan, but I've always wanted a game used glove)

After the garage sale I went to the in-game studio and had Zaunie sign the catcher's gear for me and confirm the shin guards were his (they have #9 on the side, but they were trying to sell them as J.P. Arencibia's).

The limited selection also helped my budget - I only ended up spending about half of what I planned to :)

-Pam

Nice pickups Pam! I believe that I saw you walking away with the two Snider bats. Nice Zaun pickups. I saw the shin-guards there too, but passed on them because there was no authentication on them. Cool that you got Zuanie to verify.

I agree that the prices were great, but they did not have enough game used stuff !!! :).

spartanservitto
09-19-2011, 05:31 PM
That Frank Thomas post makes me think there are still deals out there.... excited for the tigers garage sale. Lets hope they have some avila items. :)

-Tony