PDA

View Full Version : Wearing game-worn jerseys...

AutographAddiction
09-21-2011, 08:46 PM
So we've all seen and heard of the game-worn jerseys being worn by the folks at AMI for the photos in their catalogs. We've seen the guy on eBay that let's his daughter model the jerseys. For a lot of collectors, this is an immediate turn off--sometimes enough to make them pass on the jersey. But what about the game-worn jerseys that are given to the family of a player, and worn by a family member to all of the games? Probably worn 3 or 4 games by the player, but most likely worn 5 times as many times by the players' mom, dad, little brother, uncle, and cousin who knows how many times-- probably gathering stains, extra-wash wear, and who knows what other damaging factors.

Would this turn you off from purchasing an item?
In my particular situation, it would be one of the only ways I'll be able to get a game-worn jersey from this former collegiate player-- and almost positively the only way I can get one with a nameplate still on back.

So, what are your thoughts on this topic? Does in not bother you at all, do you turn a blind eye, does it decrease the amount you would pay for the jersey, or does it completely turn you off from buying the item?

I'd love your thoughts...

AutographAddiction
09-21-2011, 08:48 PM
Ignore any grammatical or spelling errors you may see. I've already caught a few ... where's that editing feature when you need one?

masp3392
09-21-2011, 08:52 PM
great topic...

for me i think it depends on the player and the current status of the jersey. As you pointed out, while its worn by the family member, or another fan, whatever the case may be, it could very much garner stains, damages etc.

If its my main player i collect (willis mcgahee) and the jersey is in decent shape, ill hop on it. I dont think i'll be turned off about any willis mcghaee game worn unless it was used and abused to the point where its a disgrace to the actual jersey.

gingi79
09-21-2011, 09:27 PM
Just an opinion so please don't be offended, no matter how factually accurate it is.

I have not been to a sporting event, NHL, NFL, MLB, MiLB, minor nor college hockey in 13 years or more, where I have not seen at least a couple of fans wearing game worn jerseys. Watching the pregame show from the Giants/Patriots Super Bowl, I saw a fan over the shoulder of a commentator wearing a game worn jersey.

The so called purists who collect jerseys and simply hang them up or display them and never wear them are a dwindling minority. I say this because of the ease jersey collectors now have in the last decade. Fans who normally purchased store bought authentics to obtain the most real versions of a jersey to wear, now obtain game worns (which are the pinnacle of the "real" jerseys)

Those who don't wear them think it is a sin and corrupts their value for those who do and those who do wear them think it's pius and immature to just display them. People get mighty upset when you point out how often they are worn by people after the player but it doesn't diminish it's factuality.

masp3392
09-21-2011, 09:43 PM
Just an opinion so please don't be offended, no matter how factually accurate it is.

I have not been to a sporting event, NHL, NFL, MLB, MiLB, minor nor college hockey in 13 years or more, where I have not seen at least a couple of fans wearing game worn jerseys. Watching the pregame show from the Giants/Patriots Super Bowl, I saw a fan over the shoulder of a commentator wearing a game worn jersey.

The so called purists who collect jerseys and simply hang them up or display them and never wear them are a dwindling minority. I say this because of the ease jersey collectors now have in the last decade. Fans who normally purchased store bought authentics to obtain the most real versions of a jersey to wear, now obtain game worns (which are the pinnacle of the "real" jerseys)

Those who don't wear them think it is a sin and corrupts their value for those who do and those who do wear them think it's pius and immature to just display them. People get mighty upset when you point out how often they are worn by people after the player but it doesn't diminish it's factuality.

great points! im kind of on the limbo on it, ill maybe put mine on once or twice in the house but i never wear them outside of my living room. Too fearful of the jersey getting ruined/stained/damaged.

jppopma
09-21-2011, 10:08 PM
This gets debated over and over. A quick search will show some pretty lengthy threads on the topic. There is a pretty even (and passionate) split on this topic.

It sort of goes along the lines of people collecting unwashed jerseys or preferring them to be clean.

mad87man
09-21-2011, 10:18 PM
i can maybe see someone wearing a lower tier jersey that was already washed out. But something like a unwashed filthy jersey, why would you want to wash it and ruin the nature of it? Or if you spend over 400$ on one. Just my 2 cents on it though.

chakes89
09-21-2011, 11:04 PM
Not sure if its the same thing or not but I wear a team issued jersey whenever I go to Reds games.

I got a Todd Coffey game issued home jersey from the team several years ago for $40. I wear the jersey because it has special length and sleeve customizations that were done for him, which is perfect for me since Im a bigger guy like Coffey. And also because it was a heck of a lot cheaper than any retail or authentic jersey would ever cost.

Preston
09-21-2011, 11:13 PM
I have a couple Titans "game issued" jerseys that I might wear to the sports bar, but never to the Titans games because there's so many drunks and idiots that I think I'd flip if someone spilled something on my jersey. When I do wear one to the sports bar, I take it off while I'm eating...and then put it back on. I'd never wear one with a lot of actual value or significance outside of the man cave, though. Too much evil out in the world (ha ha)

dnrapp
09-21-2011, 11:31 PM
For me I have players I colect GU jerseys that I don't wear and I buy other GU jerseys just to wear. Here in Oakland you can buy GU jerseys of common players and coaches for less than you can buy a retail jerseys for.

Dolphins23
09-22-2011, 12:04 AM
No joke I wear my jerseys when I play madden. (Only play with dolphins) To see which jersey I wear I have the better record in (supersticious and its bad) Wore my Henne while play calling with Henne and lost so I'm 0-1 in my Henne jersey.

I don't wear jerseys out side of the house or to a non sporting event. I choose to wear QB jerseys to a superbowl party or a bar (where I won't be eating anything!) Also wear gamer on sundays some times with fam. I hate cuffed sleeves on my jersey because the authentics come down to my elbows and I don't like that. I can pull the cuffs up and secure them around my 19 inch arms but even that looks stupid because its not a proper cut. I actually just started wearing skill cut jerseys because the cuffs fit around my shoulders and you can see my whole biceps and tattoos. But I much rather a QB cut gamer to wear around house or at a bar, because I'm not really one to show off muscle or anything like that to often. I usually like to wear long sleeve under armour under my gamers because they feel so much better with that extra layer of coating.

I've tried on all my gamers in full uniform as well. Pads, pants, helmet, socks, cleats. Just to get snap shots for photo camparison when I photo match. It really helps with photo matching creases on a jersey that you would not see if the jersey dosn't have pads under it. Creases mainly on numbers.

Dolphins23
09-22-2011, 12:14 AM
I'm starting a new fad (not even kidding here) to a bar when I wear my gamer and my long sleeve white under armour (for home jerseys) Black for (away jerseys). Instead of wearing gloves when it gets really cold here in NY, I'm going to rock my Dolphins Hand Warmer that QB's wear! hahahaa when you crack 2 hand warmers and put it in the zip up pocket shake em up throw em in and put both of your hands in that warmer, it gets to be over 100 degrees in there. Instant hand warming when your outside on that cold deck talking to a girl whos puffing on a ciggarette. It looks like a fanny pack, so the avg person will just think I'm wearing a fanny pack ahhahaaha, beats the heck out of gloves! don't have to keep taking them on and off. Just stick your hands in that Dolphins logo hand warmer and your good!

I'm looking to pick up a new NFC team, because Dolphins SUCK! Would never pick an AFC team to root for, can't do that. Need a team that will be in the hunt to root for because I can't root for the Dolphins in dec/jan when there long gone out of it (in public) so I'm thinking I may take up the Eagles since I'm pretty close to PA, and have been to AMISH paradise over in PA and take a yearly trip with my dad to EAGLES pro-shop so I'll have to get an Eagles Hand Warmer (which is cool because its white) Dolphins hand warmer is Navy!

Halloween is the best for me though, Game Jersey, Game Pants, Game Socks, Game Towel, Game Hand Warmer, Game cleats! Game Helemt all comes out to shatter the avg guy dressing up as a football player in his HS jersey and eye paint with no pads or anything.

And UGHH IF I SEE 1 MORE TROY PALAMALU SUCKA IN NYC THIS YEAR! I SWEAR! Dudes throw on a replica jersey (yes screened on numbers) yellow tights, black sneakers, eye paint and a long curly black wig and think they have a money winner costume!! I go to bars that have contests where you win Money, Gift Cards, Sex toys for girls ex... It gets competitive, and it seems every year that stupid Gieco cave man makes it to finals! NOT THIS YEAR! MATTYS ON A MISSION TO BE PENNINGTON HIMSELF IN THE FLESH!

Dolphins23
09-22-2011, 12:20 AM
Oh and now that that Joker fad is finally over, I should make the finals easy. If there are any NYC members like Jonny Hunt, we should meet up for a lil on halloween weekend. (go all as football players get a few drinks chat for an hour on that night and get some cool pictures. Whos supplying the game football :D )

I love it too because so many hot girls go as Refs and Jet cheer leaders. It's such an in with the hotties!

Dolphins23
09-22-2011, 12:21 AM
Mark Sanchez is known for being at scores with the team on halloween weekend, so maybe I'll run into Marky over by time square.

godwulf
09-22-2011, 08:41 AM
Those who don't wear them think it is a sin and corrupts their value for those who do and those who do wear them think it's pius and immature to just display them.

That's a pretty extreme characterization on both ends. Not everyone is quite so radically judgmental, when it comes to other people doing what they want to with their own property. I'd say that the true split is more along the lines of: those who either wear or just display them, on the one hand, and those who either wear or just display them and think that everybody who doesn't do as they do is an idiot, on the other.

slab0meat
09-22-2011, 08:52 AM
I've worn a few GU and GI jerseys out, but there's also a few I won't. I also don't have any extremely expensive ones or anything.. I doubt I'd wear one out.

This very much reminds of the Corvette community (which I'm not for long in, thanks to a 10+ month old girl).. Some are the garage-only, wash every day or week, full sunny days only to drive in, etc... While others like me got the car to DRIVE.. and though I do keep it in the garage, I'm lax with washing it a lot, and I've driven it in rain and snow. Some think it's sacreligious.

As always, do whatever makes you happy, and doesn't much matter what anyone thinks of it.

woody1351
09-22-2011, 09:56 AM
i wore my pennington in my engagement pics and other than that I have a few i got really cheap of no name players I'll wear bc the jerseys you get in stores fit me like a night gown.

solarlottry
09-22-2011, 10:19 AM
I personally do not wear my gamers but a friend who has perhaps one of the biggest 1980s 49er collections wears them all the time. He picks special shirts for each home game. Last weekend he wore Dwight Clark's gamer to the 49er-Cowboy debacle. He also owns a SB ring from the 1984 team that he wears from time to time. Once when we were out together in SF he was wearing the ring and, to my surprize, many people noticed it (it is hard not to) and asked to see it. It was pretty cool.

Always buying 49ers gamers and paying a finders fee. Will pay up to 1500$ each for a Doug Brien, Lee Woodall, Derrick Deese or Dennis Brown 1994 49er gamer. Always paying a finders fee!

Paul
garciajones@yahoo.com

EurekaDave
09-22-2011, 12:26 PM
OK, so would you knowingly sell to someonewho would wear your game-used jerseys? Your thoughts.

Many times I have advertised jerseys and buyer want to know chest size, armpit-to-armpit measurements--- that stuff.

Dave Silverbrand
das1721@att.net

Mulligans
09-22-2011, 12:37 PM
I would love to wear one if I could get it to fit.....I cant even get half of them to fit my Mannequin?:o

Mattapan03
09-22-2011, 01:22 PM
I can barely even fit into one. Especially these new "tight" cut NFL gamers of recent years

BU54CB
09-22-2011, 02:16 PM
I would love to wear one if I could get it to fit.....I cant even get half of them to fit my Mannequin?:o

Too funny, I was just thinking the same thing :D

Dolphins23
09-22-2011, 02:41 PM
i wore my pennington in my engagement pics and other than that I have a few i got really cheap of no name players I'll wear bc the jerseys you get in stores fit me like a night gown.

Yes and you probably looked every so good in it Wood!

AutographAddiction
09-22-2011, 04:09 PM
I don't wear the jerseys in my collection because I am too afraid that I would get a stain, rip, etc. I tend to fall into the "leave the the game worn artifact in the exact state as it was when it was worn by the player" category. But at the same time, I'm a super-fan, and if I have a cheap, common gamer that fits me then I would wear it. But that's not exactly the discussion I was meaning to bring up...

I am more wondering if you think a game-worn jersey that has been worn by the players family decreases the value of the jersey and/or taints it in a way(if you like the game-worn artifact to remain in it's GAME-worn and game-worn only condition).

Any more thoughts, now that I clarified a bit?

Thanks!

ewillia8
09-22-2011, 09:10 PM
Dolphins23 has issues, like major issues. I'm literally speechless at that verbal diarrhea.

34swtns
09-22-2011, 10:13 PM
Seriously, it's bordering on some sort of mental issue, quite obviously.

Mods, longtime members here are contemplating a mass exodus if something isn't done to curb the BS that's currently overwhelming this forum.

Please do something about it.

dcgreg25
09-22-2011, 10:40 PM
This topic has been brought up and discussed before. I try not to be heavy-handed in moderating the forum but frankly I do not think these discussions have any significant value to collectors as it has been discussed over and over on the forum. Unfortunately, these threads tend to just start arguements and promote people making questionable comments. While I am sure it was not the intention of the original poster, it has proven to be true over and over.

This forum is only as strong as its members. As I said in another thread the purpose of the forum is to "bring game used collectors together and help hobbyists educate each other". Anything that does not further this goal should not be posted.

I am not going to delete the postings on this thread as I do not want to edit what has already been said. That being said, many of these threads and posts have gone too far and cannot continue. I will discuss this with the other moderators and we will take appropriate action.

Thanks for your patience guys, as a moderator I appreciate the feedback and we work hard to keep a balance in the forum between letting people share opinions and keeping things on topic and in line with the forum rules. We have a lot of collectors on here with varying interests and experience.