PDA

View Full Version : Hats off, literally, to Joey Votto and Brandon Phillips

rchimes13@yahoo.com
09-22-2011, 10:42 AM
Yesterday I played a little hooky and attended the Reds last home game for 2011 with my brother. After the game I was standing behind the dugout and as the Reds walked down the dugout steps into clubhouse countless hats, gloves, wristbands, and balls were projected to the awaiting fans! I was standing the second row next to a man there with his son who was in row in front of us. Out of nowhere a jersey shot out from the dugout and somehow cleared the front row and landed right in the man's chest. We both looked at same time and it was Joey Votto's red alternate jersey that he had worn that game! The look on both of our faces paled in comparison to the 100% honest joy of his young son when he draped the jersey over his shoulder. Shortly after that Brandon Phillips emerged and spent every bit of 20 minutes handing out game bats (to kids with their parents), gloves, wristbands, Phitten bracelets, balls, and even handed out a pink mothers day gamer to an elderly women. It was an amazing site and even though the jersey would have been a grail item for me, when I saw the pure excitement of that boys face I left 100% satisfied. I cannot wait to take my son when he is old enough in hopes that he experiences that same joy. Great to witness these types of acts from our favorite athletes.

Jags Fan Dan
09-22-2011, 11:32 AM
As a fellow Cincinnatian, I have heard nothing but good things about Brandon Phillips and really most of the big name Reds players. They seem to know they have a good life and appreciate that it would not be possible without the fans.

frikativ54
09-22-2011, 12:14 PM
Cool story. It's great when we can find joy in others' acquisitions. I know it's hard sometimes, especially when we want to own an item.

ncbadges
09-22-2011, 01:43 PM
THAT'S what its all about, right there. Great Job Reds!!;)

ncb

maverick14
09-22-2011, 01:57 PM
I read a little bit ago on yahoo a story about a little league ballplayer who tweeted Brandon Philips asking him to come to his game. Luckily for the kid it turned out to be one of the Reds' off days and Philips went to the game to watch the kid play, sign autographs, and take photos. Nice story.

Dolphins23
09-22-2011, 02:52 PM
Not going to praise what a Million dollar athlete should be doing. Remeber without fans they are nothing.

sox83cubs84
09-22-2011, 03:28 PM
Glad it worked out for you in Cincy...a friend of mine attended the Cubs home finale yesterday, and said the Cubs unceremoniously trudged off the field, offering nothing more than the occasional wave of the hand to fans. Cubs players, since 2004, have been, for the most part, indifferent and less than sociable with most fans (other than tossing baseball to fans in the bleachers). Autograph signing is minimal, and players virtually never offer fans broken bats or caps any more, sometimes even making fun of those who ask. I only attended 2 Cubs games in 2011...and the fan-unfriendly attitudes of players, security and management is a major reason why.

Dave Miedema

lakeerie92
09-22-2011, 08:10 PM
Glad it worked out for you in Cincy...a friend of mine attended the Cubs home finale yesterday, and said the Cubs unceremoniously trudged off the field, offering nothing more than the occasional wave of the hand to fans. Cubs players, since 2004, have been, for the most part, indifferent and less than sociable with most fans (other than tossing baseball to fans in the bleachers). Autograph signing is minimal, and players virtually never offer fans broken bats or caps any more, sometimes even making fun of those who ask. I only attended 2 Cubs games in 2011...and the fan-unfriendly attitudes of players, security and management is a major reason why.

Dave Miedema

That is disappointing to hear. I have tickets behind the Cubs dugout for their final game of the season in San Diego.